Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Look at m43' Panasonic new and promising LX100...

11-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

An MX-1 replacement with a one-inch sensor would be very nice. There's no doubt in my mind that they can get it in that body. And the competition has already proved one can get an f/1.8-2.8 zoom on it as well. Buffer size and speed was an issue with the MX-1, so that would need improving. Would there be room for a built-in EVF? That would be fantastic. And how about "White Magic" technology for the rear LCD, a la the Ricoh GR?
11-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do hope that there is an MX-2 with a 1' sensor, EVF, WiFi and fast RAW showing. The lens/sensor combo in the MX-1 to me is way better then what the Q offers. Note that I have Q and Q7.
11-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I do hope that there is an MX-2 with a 1' sensor, EVF, WiFi and fast RAW showing. The lens/sensor combo in the MX-1 to me is way better then what the Q offers. Note that I have Q and Q7.
I know we want it all....NFC and GPS and cheaper....

11-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No idea if it was a succes or not, but when you sell all your inventory then it isn't a failure.
Unless it was sold at a loss.
11-15-2014, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

Stylus 1 is perhaps best what such small sensored cameras can offer, 28-300mm zoom compact camera. That still has a place in the future.
But no one does anything like Stylus 1 yet.
I hope for a LX100 like answer from Pentax, as they have heaps of Q with tiny sensors.
But again, how can we expect a good answer?
Because for most compact camera questions, Ricoh resorts to JK imaging answers.
11-15-2014, 03:52 AM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Stylus 1 is perhaps best what such small sensored cameras can offer, 28-300mm zoom compact camera. That still has a place in the future.
But no one does anything like Stylus 1 yet.
I hope for a LX100 like answer from Pentax, as they have heaps of Q with tiny sensors.
But again, how can we expect a good answer?
Because for most compact camera questions, Ricoh resorts to JK imaging answers.
Well short zooms are going down in sales, since they compete directly with smartphones like the 20 megapixel Sony Xperia Z2 that has a sensor just recently found in P&S camera's.

11-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had an MX-1 for a few months now and really like the little beast. It has it's limits. but I am very happy with the results it gives me. I am surprised that not having a viewfinder is not that big a deal. I do field service and it goes with me on my journeys across New York state The two maple trees in the front yard put on quite a display this year. Here is a slightly cropped photo from about three weeks ago.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
11-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Think Pentax will stick to brass or switch to cheaper, lighter materials?
11-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Think Pentax will stick to brass or switch to cheaper, lighter materials?
Well, they almost certainly have market research to determine how important brass was to MX-1 sales and how much sales would improve with lighter materials. Assuming that they have this information it will certainly determine what they do with any successor model.
11-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hopefully. But look at what happened to the Q.
11-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hopefully. But look at what happened to the Q.
We are all subject to having our products fashioned according to what other people want. It really was more fun (not necessarily better) when manufacturers and merchants had to guess from limited sampling what would sell and at what price. Homogenization has crept into almost every product and activity now.
11-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #28

The MX-1 was a nice little camera, especially when the price dropped significantly. My only gripe was that it made web searches for stuff pertaining to my Pentax MX SLR a real pain in the butt!

I don't see Ricoh making another one since this was seemingly a joint venture with Olympus (It's the same lens/sensor as the ZX-2 as many of you know). I just don't know if more non-rugged, non-GR compact Ricohs are in the cards. It's a camera company with incredibly limited resources and it sounds like now that the 645Z is out in the world, those resources are being funneled towards the next thing...
11-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote
The MX-1 was a nice little camera, especially when the price dropped significantly. My only gripe was that it made web searches for stuff pertaining to my Pentax MX SLR a real pain in the butt!

I don't see Ricoh making another one since this was seemingly a joint venture with Olympus (It's the same lens/sensor as the ZX-2 as many of you know). I just don't know if more non-rugged, non-GR compact Ricohs are in the cards. It's a camera company with incredibly limited resources and it sounds like now that the 645Z is out in the world, those resources are being funneled towards the next thing...
Well, maybe, but these little cameras cannot be as expensive to design and produce as the mainline DSLRS and other large complex systems.
11-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Well, they almost certainly have market research to determine how important brass was to MX-1 sales and how much sales would improve with lighter materials. Assuming that they have this information it will certainly determine what they do with any successor model.
Among many similar models from other manufacturers, why did Pentax MX-1 sell?
Brass and old style styling is exactly the reason. If it were another plastic and aluminium toy in the fashion of Oly and Canon and Fuji, it would not sell next to them. It would have zero personality. And I personally would not touch it.

On the other hand, to style any future compact like the Q, in hundreds of colours, is another suicide. Each camera must be tailored to the very specific market, and be best in it. The MX-1, I think, was fairly successful. Now is time for another version, but more powerful.