Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
what ever it will be, stills department can stay as is, 24 megapixels is more than enough, Iso is fine too, don;t shoot higher than iso 800 anyway... but video, I am begging you Ricoh Pentax, better codec, 4 K resolution, cinema standard... Focus peaking during video recording, aperture control in manual mode, clean HDMI out to external recorders. Is that much to ask? I am not even asking for phase af tracking during video recording, but that would also be nice....
Don't pro relies on manual focussing for their videos more than phase detection AF?

As for 4K output to an external recorder this look really like a gimick. But I must guess you whole installation is 4K ready.

12-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #182

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Don't pro relies on manual focussing for their videos more than phase detection AF?

As for 4K output to an external recorder this look really like a gimick. But I must guess you whole installation is 4K ready.

Well I my self work on manual focus only, I don;t have pro gear, but I suspect that I have only one year left before I gonna be obsolete when 4K videography becomes fashion and everyone will ask for it.

Honestly I am an extreme guy cause I offer videography using Pentax K30 and my shoulder rig is a combination of tripod and a slider.... And the more I work the more I recognize the needs of the market. Sometimes phase detect autofocus in video is useful ( if its implementation is good) but really, I don't care about it. I care about better video codec, focus peaking during recording, aperture control during video recording ( although I use vintage manual lenses and they have aperture rings), but I would really use flip out or swivel screen. Also it would be nice if in video mode pentax cameras didn't compensate exposure, it sucks when you hit record button and need to redo many settings to get correct exposure.

Highilghts zebras would also be nice. But to be very simple on that, they could just look at other brands, it is not needed to reinvent the wheel, see what magic lantern did to canon dslrs, what hacks GH2 got, Even sony alpha 6000 has really great features for videographers, those are really enough,

I don;t want to go to another brand, I love ergonomics and built quality of Pentax DSLRs as well as their menus, no other camera I tried made manual mode so easy and fun to work in. But if Pentax won;t introduce anything for "bridge imagers" I will have no other choice but to go with another brand, but I would ratter invest in Pentax and tell my friends to go with Pentax instead of other brand. And when I have to work on stills as well as video, I would prefer to have one tool to do the job.
Simple as that. And the trends are now 4k video, heck even 6 and 8k are making appearances, but those are very high end video oriented cameras that cost a fortune. But what bridge imagers need is good tool for stills and competitive tool for videography in one.
12-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Well I my self work on manual focus only, I don;t have pro gear, but I suspect that I have only one year left before I gonna be obsolete when 4K videography becomes fashion and everyone will ask for it.

Honestly I am an extreme guy cause I offer videography using Pentax K30 and my shoulder rig is a combination of tripod and a slider.... And the more I work the more I recognize the needs of the market. Sometimes phase detect autofocus in video is useful ( if its implementation is good) but really, I don't care about it. I care about better video codec, focus peaking during recording, aperture control during video recording ( although I use vintage manual lenses and they have aperture rings), but I would really use flip out or swivel screen. Also it would be nice if in video mode pentax cameras didn't compensate exposure, it sucks when you hit record button and need to redo many settings to get correct exposure.

Highilghts zebras would also be nice. But to be very simple on that, they could just look at other brands, it is not needed to reinvent the wheel, see what magic lantern did to canon dslrs, what hacks GH2 got, Even sony alpha 6000 has really great features for videographers, those are really enough,

I don;t want to go to another brand, I love ergonomics and built quality of Pentax DSLRs as well as their menus, no other camera I tried made manual mode so easy and fun to work in. But if Pentax won;t introduce anything for "bridge imagers" I will have no other choice but to go with another brand, but I would ratter invest in Pentax and tell my friends to go with Pentax instead of other brand. And when I have to work on stills as well as video, I would prefer to have one tool to do the job.
Simple as that. And the trends are now 4k video, heck even 6 and 8k are making appearances, but those are very high end video oriented cameras that cost a fortune. But what bridge imagers need is good tool for stills and competitive tool for videography in one.
The control you ask for me make sense.

As for the format to support I already think 4K is a bit too much but it can be justified... In some circonstance the difference might be barely visible with a good 2K. 8K look overkill... I'am not sure if it is not better to get pro quality gear with 2K than average quality 4K gear as 'me too'.

Ultimately I suppose the client can ask for it... Or the producer can sell it... Even if perfectly useless... A little like many consumer camera have more pixel or same than pro level camera even through they sensor is much smaller.
12-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #184
mee
Veteran Member

Pentax has mentioned in the past year or so that they think photography first, videography.. second or third. haha so I'd would go with whatever system works for your needs instead of wishing for your current system to change to fit your needs.

Last edited by mee; 12-22-2014 at 05:08 PM.
12-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #185

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pentax has mentioned in the past year or so that they think photography first, videography.. second or third. haha so I'd would go with whatever system works for your needs instead of wishing for your current system to change to fit your needs.

Thing is that what I wish is for petnax not to loose clients due to some silly policy.
How I see things are if I go, I bring away few clients from Pentax.

How it works: I go away, then my couple friends ask me why I switched I tell them, then they no longer consider Pentax brand for their choice and these couple of friends do not recommend pentax to their few friends. Now count how many people bounce and switch and what effect it has to Pentax sales. Every single person matters, cause that single person may bring couple new clients but also can bring away few more clients. And the rule is this, negative always strikes with the power of 3 positives. I don't know about others, but I noticed that if there will be one negative review of something, that negative review will reach 10 people, if there was one positive review, it will reach only about 5 people. People pay more attention to what bad there is. So when there are people who switch away from Pentax, they bring away few clients and shrinks market share for Pentax.

Samsung finally got it and made a balance, they recognized market of today and introduced NX1 and look at what they achieved, even Professionals now look at Samsung NX1 and few months ago Samsung was the last name to get any look from anyone "pro".

It is all about balance and at this moment Ricoh Pentax doesn;t seem to have this balance, they are extremely good at photography, but lack in video department, and today you either offer a balance between stills and motion or go extreme on one direction. Maybe Ricoh Pentax goes extreme with road with 645z, but then tey overlooked sync speeds for strobists, I just want best for Ricoh Pentax, but as I mention earlier I recognize the needs of the market I am in and at the moment see no other choice then to look for another system. Pentax was perfect choice to learn photography. And pity I will be among those who will bring away sever thousands of dollars from Pentax, cause they will get invested into another brand.

Lets say i spend 5K on pentax, I bring couple friends to pentax, they invest 5k each, I bring 15K to pentax. that is not much but still pay salary to someone at Pentax. Now I go to another brand, these 15K go away, Now imagine, 10 people from my town choose another brand, then from bigger town hundred people go with another brand. And that only because of lacking in video department, and even if the person doesn;t shoot video, this person gives a lot of credit to overall value to the gadget for features he or she will not use, cause they thing what if I will need those, what if I wanna sell it because I will want to upgrade and so on.

Every detail matters and video nowadays is a big detail. But since I am not of a caliber to push a mountain, I will just have to pick another mountain. That is fine, a little bit upsetting but fine. Competition is huge these days and 2014 brought many brands to discover the new generation of imagers.

I just keep fingers crossed that this time Ricoh Pentax will finally break the ice with their 35mm sensor body and will bring in few folks into their system. After the innovations from Samsung and Sony Pentax really needs something to stand out again.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2014 at 04:05 ----------

The control you ask for me make sense.

As for the format to support I already think 4K is a bit too much but it can be justified... In some circonstance the difference might be barely visible with a good 2K. 8K look overkill... I'am not sure if it is not better to get pro quality gear with 2K than average quality 4K gear as 'me too'.

Ultimately I suppose the client can ask for it... Or the producer can sell it... Even if perfectly useless... A little like many consumer camera have more pixel or same than pro level camera even through they sensor is much smaller.
The pro gear has its advantages and disadvantages, not to mention extreme prices of video cameras that would offer what DSLRs can. Of course when you work for broadcast, DSLRs are not the way to go.... That is why I came up with a term bridge imagers, people who need photography and videography in one tool.

Video oriented cameras has very limited photography features as well as their bodies are not very good for photoshooting, while DSLRs somehow managed to make this acceptable form for film making. Panasonic GH4 is the only golden spot with the exception of its sensor, while I am not doing high end stuff for high end market, even I feel the limit of the 4/3 sensor. the sensor is almost there, but APS-C and 35mm sensors are still offering better quality, now if there was a GH4 with APS-C it would be the perfection for so many new generation imagers. a place for Ricoh to look for inspiration?

Sony is doing wonders with their A7s, but at this time Samsung NX1 seems to hit almost the right spot to everyone. Wish Pentax did this.
Honestly I wouldn;t mind if Rocoh Pentax made a rip off of NX1, they just need to leave current photography features of K3, add video features from NX 1 with some better implementation of how it works... 24 megapixels is really enough, connectivity that is on NX1 would also be advantage, and here it is. A camera that makes everyone happy, well most of the folks. But knowing Pentax, I guess they will do complete opposite so that is only a dream...

Last edited by Danas_Anis; 12-23-2014 at 04:09 AM.
12-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who is Petnax ?
12-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Thing is that what I wish is for petnax not to loose clients due to some silly policy.
How I see things are if I go, I bring away few clients from Pentax.

How it works: I go away, then my couple friends ask me why I switched I tell them, then they no longer consider Pentax brand for their choice and these couple of friends do not recommend pentax to their few friends. Now count how many people bounce and switch and what effect it has to Pentax sales. Every single person matters, cause that single person may bring couple new clients but also can bring away few more clients. And the rule is this, negative always strikes with the power of 3 positives. I don't know about others, but I noticed that if there will be one negative review of something, that negative review will reach 10 people, if there was one positive review, it will reach only about 5 people. People pay more attention to what bad there is. So when there are people who switch away from Pentax, they bring away few clients and shrinks market share for Pentax.
You give your own example and your point of view. You are not the only guy on earth as potential client or not the only guy that could give advices. Your care of video, many users don't.

A company on the opposite will conduct marketing research and compare what they can expect to gain from the features they plan to add and compare to the cost of implementing the feature. This way they can prioritise what to do and what not to do. They may really well conclude that for their case video is not a priority. Who are we to think we would make better decision than the guys involved?

Honestly the more others are focussing on video, the more you can differentiate yourself on better still.

12-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Unfortunately recent interviews with Ricoh Imaging persons clarify that they won't focus on making leapfrog developments in the video area...

Sometimes I just wish they'd make a video-inclined K-01 successor to compete with the GH line. But there is more at stake in the stills department, where all players are struggling to make significant profits. We'll see Pentax's direction post-2014 once CP+ starts.
12-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what ever it will be, stills department can stay as is, 24 megapixels is more than enough, Iso is fine too, don;t shoot higher than iso 800 anyway... but video, I am begging you Ricoh Pentax, better codec, 4 K resolution, cinema standard... Focus peaking during video recording, aperture control in manual mode, clean HDMI out to external recorders. Is that much to ask? I am not even asking for phase af tracking during video recording, but that would also be nice....
4K is not going to happen as almost no consumer can process or view. It's a non-starter.

H.265 is likely, maybe next gen cameras, probably 2 gen from now.
12-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Unfortunately recent interviews with Ricoh Imaging persons clarify that they won't focus on making leapfrog developments in the video area...

Sometimes I just wish they'd make a video-inclined K-01 successor to compete with the GH line. But there is more at stake in the stills department, where all players are struggling to make significant profits. We'll see Pentax's direction post-2014 once CP+ starts.
Maybe because they focus too much on video... If I buy a camera, I expect a good still experience. This may involve even better AF, embedded flash that can support High Speed Synch and bouce on ceiling, maybe an EVF and a wheel to change the exposure and see the result directly ? This could be support for 40MP still when on a tripod like next Olympus or better sync capabilities through wifi connectivity so to use the phone GPS for astro tracing and tagging photos... Why not otherwise like EXR, set different exposure time to different pixels on the sensor to one shot real HDR or increase dynamic range?

Better videos is a not what I would expect from a camera. If I'am primarily after video, I would buy a video device...
12-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not otherwise like EXR, set different exposure time to different pixels on the sensor to one shot real HDR or increase dynamic range?
Have you ever wondered why Fuji mothballed that technology? : the problem was with diffraction, sensel crosstalk, and increased noise in the highlight areas of the image.
12-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #192
Banned

Maybe because they focus too much on video... ..
??

Video in Pentax cameras is second worst only to Leica's implementation.
Everyone else tries to do a good job in it and provide competent video features. So far, Pentax hardware has more potential than its software, and that is the recognised problem.
To involved customers, it shows missed out opportunity. It is pity indeed and it does not show company's "focus on stills', but rather company's poor judgment and underutilisation of available hardware. It is same as wasted opportunity and wasted resources. And they even brag about it.
12-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
??

Everyone else tries to do a good job in it and provide competent video features. So far, Pentax hardware has more potential than its software, and that is the recognised problem.
To involved customers, it shows missed out opportunity. It is pity indeed and it does not show company's "focus on stills', but rather company's poor judgment and underutilisation of available hardware. It is same as wasted opportunity and wasted resources. And they even brag about it.
Sorry to be more explicit, it was from that statement:

'But there is more at stake in the stills department, where all players are struggling to make significant profits.'

As for the hardware remark our camera could for example be a game console, or spy wifi networks with optional flu card. It could serve as router or put in cluster to do scientific computing. The optional GPS could be the basis of a navigation system and to track the distance you run last day.

This is not because the hardware is here that is relevant to add the feature or it is free. Software is one of the most expensive things to make. Airbus A380 cost is software for 30%. Just the software... And it doesn't even allow you to make movies.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-24-2014 at 04:37 AM.
12-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #194
Pentaxian

??

Everyone else tries to do a good job in it and provide competent video features.
I think you forgot Fujifilm and Sigma...
12-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
??

Nicolas was replying to Alizarine who was talking about PANASONIC.

Sorry, Uluru.