Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Pentax seem to be the best at keeping a tight ship
Yes, which is why I'm a tad optimistic for CP+. I'm not looking for anything for my needs, but I would feel good to see more initiative.

11-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #47

It would be great a digital version of the spotmatic... Ricoh-Pentax, are you hearing???

that K-L might be the answer
11-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #48

Ricoh Pentax should spread few rumors to draw eyes back to them, cause the latest additions to the market is making people forget about Ricoh Pentax cause they all are now excited about 4K, 206phase detect sensors on a BSI sensor, New Sony sensors are making lightsources be not needed for capturing beautiful images not only for still but in video too. Not to mention they now releases a camera with 5 axis image stabilization like Olympus did. And the leds on the KS-1 are not looking that interesting anymore.
11-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless they were very skilled at managing the leaks too many false rumors would just cause more problems. Well managed leaks, however, can be good marketing.

11-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Ricoh Pentax should spread few rumors to draw eyes back to them, cause the latest additions to the market is making people forget about Ricoh Pentax cause they all are now excited about 4K, 206phase detect sensors on a BSI sensor, New Sony sensors are making lightsources be not needed for capturing beautiful images not only for still but in video too. Not to mention they now releases a camera with 5 axis image stabilization like Olympus did. And the leds on the KS-1 are not looking that interesting anymore.
Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus have taken most of the oxygen out of the room. I'm not sure many people not already watching Pentax are much aware of Pentax-oriented rumors; they may have to release an actual product to get much attention.
11-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus have taken most of the oxygen out of the room. I'm not sure many people not already watching Pentax are much aware of Pentax-oriented rumors; they may have to release an actual product to get much attention.
That seems to be their way. When the camera is ready it just appears with little fanfare. Please APPEAR!
11-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Unless they were very skilled at managing the leaks too many false rumors would just cause more problems. Well managed leaks, however, can be good marketing.
And when was the last time Pentax/Ricoh engaged in "good marketing"?

11-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
And when was the last time Pentax/Ricoh engaged in "good marketing"?
Actually, their marketing is appropriately tailored to their apparent business strategy and manufacturing capacity. In that sense their current marketing is quite good.
11-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, their marketing is appropriately tailored to their apparent business strategy and manufacturing capacity. In that sense their current marketing is quite good.
Oh boy, how I hope you are right! I grow somewhat impatient with those who, without any direct knowledge, are certain they know what the company should do. I feel the same way about sports fans constantly explain how a game should be played. Watch and enjoy. I do.
11-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Only you could rationalize that no marketing is good marketing.
11-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only you could rationalize that no marketing is good marketing.
Well they do market their products with magazine ads, the new Paris store etc. What he said was that their marketing is at an appropriate level for what may be their capacity and plans. Nothing rationalizing at all. I did detect a small bit of wit in the comment as well.
11-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Well they do market their products with magazine ads, the new Paris store etc. What he said was that their marketing is at an appropriate level for what may be their capacity and plans. Nothing rationalizing at all. I did detect a small bit of wit in the comment as well.
And he has no idea what their capacity really is or what their plans really are. Its simply a rationalization. Ricoh could be sacrificing chickens and people here would rationalize it as a brilliant business plan.

Look around the industry. You don't grow market share (demand for your product) by doing next to nothing. Maybe in some markets Ricoh is actively marketing. France and Japan are both stronger markets for the Pentax brand than the USA. Yes, there is the occasional Pentax banner on a web page. Yes, they run an add in a magazine every now and then. Its is extremely passive marketing compared to everyone else in the industry.

The 77mm lens was just voted the best Pentax lens. If you go buy one right now, the box still says Hoya..... Why? Because they are still sitting on 5 year old inventory. A friend of mine bought one when they had the first sale 3 months ago. If anyone buys a new 77mm that says Ricoh on it, please post a picture. You only need capacity if you are selling product. Ricoh isn't selling enough to have capacity problems. If they were, you would not see the fire sale prices. If product is in demand, and supply is limited by capacity, then prices go up.
11-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And he has no idea what their capacity really is or what their plans really are. Its simply a rationalization. Ricoh could be sacrificing chickens and people here would rationalize it as a brilliant business plan.

Look around the industry. You don't grow market share (demand for your product) by doing next to nothing. Maybe in some markets Ricoh is actively marketing. France and Japan are both stronger markets for the Pentax brand than the USA. Yes, there is the occasional Pentax banner on a web page. Yes, they run an add in a magazine every now and then. Its is extremely passive marketing compared to everyone else in the industry.

The 77mm lens was just voted the best Pentax lens. If you go buy one right now, the box still says Hoya..... Why? Because they are still sitting on 5 year old inventory. A friend of mine bought one when they had the first sale 3 months ago. If anyone buys a new 77mm that says Ricoh on it, please post a picture. You only need capacity if you are selling product. Ricoh isn't selling enough to have capacity problems. If they were, you would not see the fire sale prices. If product is in demand, and supply is limited by capacity, then prices go up.
Well I get good value from my Pentax lenses and cameras. The company has provided significantly improved bodies every year to year and a half for at least the last 6 years. Their business plans are their business. I really do not understand why people spend so much time complaining about the company whose equipment they have freely chosen to use. You can't really think that huge corporations like Ricoh need users to advise them on how to handle their business. Let's take pictures and talk about them.
11-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Well I get good value from my Pentax lenses and cameras. The company has provided significantly improved bodies every year to year and a half for at least the last 6 years. Their business plans are their business. I really do not understand why people spend so much time complaining about the company whose equipment they have freely chosen to use.
You really don't get it. I want Ricoh to be very successful. I would like to see the Pentax brand return to what it once was. A few years ago I asked my local pro shop why they didn't carry Pentax. The short answer is because nobody asks for it. Last year i saw they started carrying the Fuji X-mount line..... because people were coming in asking for it. I asked him about the Sony A7 line and he said he had tried to carry it, but Sony has some pretty steep volume requirements and he just can't do it. Still no Pentax though..... Nobody ever asks for it. Why? Is it because Ricoh makes inferior products? Obviously not. Nobody asks for it because Ricoh don't invest in marketing. None of this is me complaining. Its simply the way things are.

You can't really think that huge corporations like Ricoh need users to advise them on how to handle their business.
Don't really care. I'm expressing an opinion and whether or not Ricoh is listening is of no concern.

Let's take pictures and talk about them.
There is a board for that farther down the page. This board however is not the place for that.
11-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Look around the industry. You don't grow market share (demand for your product) by doing next to nothing. Maybe in some markets Ricoh is actively marketing. France and Japan are both stronger.
Pentax has long been very Japan-centric in their approach to business, as far as I can tell. During Hoya's ownership an official speaking to financial types said something to the effect that he was simply not interested in the North American market, just not worth the trouble, if I recall correctly (can't find the reference).

Based on what we see here versus reports from users living in Japan, and based on a conversation I had with Jim Malcolm, I suspect RIAC is responsible for developing dealer relationships and marketing efforts all on their own dime. The other Japanese camera manufacturers seem to have a more global view of marketing their products.

After the US Pentax sales force was all but dismantled and dealers royally screwed in the mid-late 2000's it's going to take a while to recover, if it's possible at all.

Ricoh as a company has a much more global mindset than Pentax ever had, but I don't see much change yet in how the Pentax brand is supported in foreign markets. I hope to see a change as I think it's in Ricoh's best interests.