Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers dropping the mirror and prisms in future models! They did it with viewfinders to cheapen the products, I can see the same happening with DSLR's as it's a big cost area.
I agree - it would, of course, also reduce body size. Given that, and despite my traditionalist views) I could almost envisage having one as a second body - put a pancake on it and you almost have a 'compact' - in fact you have a far more usable version of the Sigma SD-1...

Last edited by Talisker; 05-22-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: html editing
05-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers dropping the mirror and prisms in future models! They did it with viewfinders to cheapen the products, I can see the same happening with DSLR's as it's a big cost area.
I tend to agree and disagree at the same time...

The mirror box/screen/prisma/AF subsystem probably isn't a big cost factor. And w/o AF (no AF w/o mirror...) you would need a good contrast AF instead.

But w/o the mirrot box you could make the (now empty) mirror box a bundled KAF2-mount adapter ring and offer oustanding wide angle lenses to be used without. All in a smaller form factor. This could be innovative enough to get rid of the mirror. You could even sell a separate mirror box (just another KAF2-mount adapter ring/box) with a mirror and a replacable prisma/optical viewfinder for all enthusiast users... (it could even retain the screw drive for classical AF lenses dropped from forthcoming SDM-only bodies)
05-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

but improved fast tracking low light AF is an increasing must.
This is really what I'm hoping for, faster/tracking AF. Everything else is just bonus.

When it will appear is anyones guess, I suspect they may make a pre-announcement at either Photokina or probably PMA next year just to keep the brand in peoples minds and the LBA hunger moving forward. I suspect that Pentax will also make a big play on new lens releases until then.
I've been fighting with myself to hold off buying a K20 until they make an announcement.. then deciding if I want to wait or upgrade depending on the expected delivery date. Still months to hold off on my buying impulse, not sure if I can do it

John
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
This is really what I'm hoping for, faster/tracking AF. Everything else is just bonus.
I also vote for more accurate AF!

I know, Pentax and K20D is already top-notch in this regard. But at wider apertures, I get so stunningly sharp results with my K20D using MF in 8x LifeView (only, I should add -- no way to be that precise using the VF...). That I now want it in AF as well A contrast AF added to the K20D firmware would already do it...

05-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Are we forgetting where the name Pentax came from? I hope the pentaprism remains in the KxxD models

(and not just for the name... lol)
05-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Plus, I've seen several people try to use a DSLR like a P&S live view camera (I'm sure many have!), they find it kinda funny that you have to squint through a viewfinder! It's what they want, and they're the people the makers are trying to woo!
I think you're right, which is exactly why I don't agree with:

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Yanno... I wouldn't mind if Hoya sold the photo division to Samsung. The Koreans have a lot more cash to give to Pentax for their R&D and manufacture.
It seems to me, that the same market that doesn't want the viewfinder doesn't really want primes - and it seems to me this is who Samsung wants to sell cameras to. One of my favourite things about Pentax is the interesting selection of primes, and I don't really believe Samsung would carry that forward.

I think the current close partnership they have, where Samsung basically just buys Pentax R&D time works nicely. The only risk being that unless Pentax improves it's marketing and distrobution, Samsung will drive them out of the market.... with a rebranded version of their own product. Ouch.
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
IMO to attain over 3fps besides the mechanical parts (shutter) they must change all the electronics inside (I don't think Prime can process 5 fps @ 14,6 MP and also requires a much bigger buffer).
As discussed earlier, though, the 21fps 1.6mpix mode is apparently pixel binned, with 33 blocks making up one pixel. Theoretically, then, using a 22 block would result in a 3.6mpix mode at something like 9fps. That'd be really useful for people who need high frame rate, since that's an adequate resolution for up to 810 prints and way overkill for web use.

Maybe that could even be added in a firmware update.
05-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter

(starting a rumor )

The most pro camera Pentax made (not counting now 67 and 645) is the LX.
LX is roman for 60 and came in 1980 when Pentax (Asahi) turned 60.

In 2010 Pentax is 100 years old. Roman for 100 is C...

Let me present the professional "Pentax C"! (drums, fanfare)

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Some of us want to see the new camera with 5 fps, 1/8000, flash sync 1/250 and new AF system.
+of course weather sealed, but slightly smaller than K20D and with an extended SDM lens program and the most fantastic wireless flash-system ever seen. And the LSD display can be taken of from the back of the camera with a blue-tooth connection and remote control built in to make the damn live view useful for something and to shut up any camera-journal-reviewer that has been complaining on the live view (and to match the LX interchangeable viewfinders in the DSLR generation). Oh, sorry Pentax, was this meant to be a secret...
Did I forget leather covered grip?

05-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The most pro camera Pentax made (not counting now 67 and 645) is the LX.
LX is roman for 60 and came in 1980 when Pentax (Asahi) turned 60.

In 2010 Pentax is 100 years old. Roman for 100 is C...

Let me present the professional "Pentax C"! (drums, fanfare)
You know, there's something about your post which made me think that calculating is not one of your strong points.

Asahi Optical Co., Ltd is from 1919 (I even have a letter from the Asahi Pentax Co., Ltd factory in my collection, dated 1956, on which the letterhead states exactly the same fact).

So, at this very moment, Pentax is 89 years old. This means that it is very appropiate to bring out a camera with the great name LXXXIX.

Even better: in 2009 Pentax is 90 years old. The camera should then be called the Pentax XC
05-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Will we see K20D super?
Some of us want to see the new camera with 5 fps, 1/8000, flash sync 1/250 and new AF system.
I think that we won't see such camera from Pentax.
I think that Pentax will launch K20D super with new burst mode and it's all.
It could be 5-6 fps in 8-10 Mp jpeg with bigger buffer. Pseudo-reportage camera.
Ogl, may I ask something?

You have a K200D, and not the K20D...If you do not presently have the current top-line camera, surely what features the replacement of the K20D is irrelevant to you. Am I right?

Or are you like me, I have the K10D, and I will bypass the K20D with a view to seeing what comes next.

Some of those features will be nice
05-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I like K200D, but I'd like to buy second body higher K20D.
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Site Supporter

counting on my fingers

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
You know, there's something about your post which made me think that calculating is not one of your strong points.

Asahi Optical Co., Ltd is from 1919 (I even have a letter from the Asahi Pentax Co., Ltd factory in my collection, dated 1956, on which the letterhead states exactly the same fact).

So, at this very moment, Pentax is 89 years old. This means that it is very appropiate to bring out a camera with the great name LXXXIX.

Even better: in 2009 Pentax is 90 years old. The camera should then be called the Pentax XC
Maybe I should not post in the middle of the night.

Two errors, of which the first one is not really mine. Sure Pentax was founded in 1919, but that didn't prevent them from celebrating the 60 years by announcing the LX in 1980...have read it in more than one place I'm sure, and a fast visit at Pentax Europes homepage confirmed this...perhaps it was meant to be ready in 1979 but was delayed. LX supposedly came from "60".

Next error (and here I should have got to bed) was to get 90 into 100...no excuses. I'm normally good at counting in my head but perhaps these roman numbers got me confused.

So Pentax is 89 years old this years, but since LXXXIX would be even harder to pronounce than *istD , I agree with you. Let's hope they wait until 2009 and announce the to-be-legendary "Pentax XC". And if the Pentax research and development unit is as late as it must have been in 1979, the camera could actually come in 2010.

Now I got it right, I hope.

Admit it, doesn't "Pentax XC" has about the same nice sound to it as "Pentax LX"? (Better than my misstake "C", and definitely better than any "K30...")

PS. Does anyone know why they "celebrated" the 60 years birthday with the LX a year too late?