Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Pentax is going to obsolete your cameras AND lenses by developing a camera that no longer has a screw-drive for AF in it.
I don't own a single autofocus lens, so they won't make anything of mine obsolete.

Autofocus? We don't need no stinkin' autofocus, man.

06-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if changing the mount will gain them any fans - honestly it was the reason I chose Pentax. There's nothing wrong with the current mount on the newer models. Other than the laws of diffraction, I really wouldn't care if there was a full frame sensor or not (adding half to the full is not complex math!). If it does remain cropped - please don't increase the MP! I think that Pentax's (Hoyas???) money would be better spent on developing a better autofocus system - ie tracking, ai, and low-light (at least one point) - number one priority. Continue on the DNG path and possibly adopt an open system for the flash like old TTL (or at least give the option for TTL) or use Nikon's wireless protocol (it's the only reason I would consider going to Nikon) - I think they would gain more customers than lose money on something like that (heck it might force Canon to change... hmmm, probably not). If only these things were added to the K10d/K20d more people would be talking about Pentax. I think Pentax should be more concerned with creating a hype about thier product than a value most consumers will never see. Create a buzz - something that will pop up on Google search - a lot of excitement - that's all they need.
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #48
Inactive Account

I'll buy right now if it has an adapter for Polaroid Swinger film and takes flashcubes. Can I play Pong or Asteroids on the back of the LCD monitor?..or is that an extra cost accessory?

Barry
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Actually it will be 400 Megapixels. Only need one lens, a wide angle. You can crop for everything else. No dust problems either. LOL

06-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Actually it will be 400 Megapixels. Only need one lens, a wide angle. You can crop for everything else. No dust problems either. LOL
Of course it won't have any dust problems silly, Pentax in 2010 will be bought out by the Hoya/Hoover vacuum cleaner company, there will be hose port next to the USB port and will come in 12 decorator colors.
06-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Pentax is going to obsolete your cameras AND lenses by developing a camera that no longer has a screw-drive for AF in it..
Don't believe so.
The newly introduced 55-300 and 35 Limited Macro has screwdriven AF.
I expect the coming 15 Limited to have screwdriven AF too.
John Carson - Pentax US has said that Pentax are still developing new lenses with screwdriven AF.
06-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Don't believe so.
The newly introduced 55-300 and 35 Limited Macro has screwdriven AF.
I expect the coming 15 Limited to have screwdriven AF too.
John Carson - Pentax US has said that Pentax are still developing new lenses with screwdriven AF.
It seems you're missing the point - re-read what I wrote.. Pentax will obsolete both cameras AND lenses by making new cameras that only offer SDM AF.. I did not say they would stop making screw-driven AF lenses. I just said they would stop making cameras with screw-drive motors. And I stand by this because simply put, SDM is better, faster, cheaper than mechanical armatures and silly screw-drives.. Natural progression, it's evolutionary man..

06-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #53

I just said they would stop making cameras with screw-drive motors.
When?

QuoteQuote:
Q: Will PENTAX continue to develop DSLR bodies with the older body-based focusing system?

A: Yes. We will continue to develop bodies that support the body based focus system in addition to the SDM system.
source

Hell, they even gave their reason for keeping the screw drive

QuoteQuote:
Q: Will PENTAX be developing SDM-only lenses from now on?

A: No: Despite the great advantages of our SDM autofocus systems, we will continue to develop both SDM and body-based focus systems. In fact, different types of lenses have different requirements. For example, our unique Limited lenses are often so compact that there is no space for an SDM autofocus motor. Until time and technology present other options, we will continue to develop both types of autofocus systems.
Call me crazy, but i can't see SDM being put into a pancake lens ATM. So for them to make their future bodies SDM only, it means that they'd either have to have SDM pancake lenses, or they risk having people being recommended good optical quality lenses that are manual focus on some bodies, but AF on others (kinda like the Nikon D40/40X/60 vs every other Nikon DSLR thing)

As it is, Pentax pride themselves on backward compatability. killing the screwdrive would kill a good feature like that. I agree, SDM is the way of the future, but we pentaxians also look backwards and enjoy our classic lenses as well. So i can't see them ditching screwdrive just yet...

EDIT: i just realised something

I don't see Pentax ditching screwdrive completely. Nikon have screw drive in everything BUT D40, D40X and D60. Their D80 has it. Their D200 & D300 have it. and the Pro bodies have it. so, on the assumption that there's a K1000D in the pipeline, that may not have it, but i can't see the successors to the K200D and K20D losing screwdrive...

Last edited by nakey; 06-06-2008 at 10:09 AM.
06-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems you're missing the point - re-read what I wrote.. Pentax will obsolete both cameras AND lenses by making new cameras that only offer SDM AF.. I did not say they would stop making screw-driven AF lenses. I just said they would stop making cameras with screw-drive motors. And I stand by this because simply put, SDM is better, faster, cheaper than mechanical armatures and silly screw-drives.. Natural progression, it's evolutionary man..
Mmm so thzey will introduce shortly new Limited being screwdrive-ionly and at the same time cutting their dollars on those because new cameras won't be able to AF with'em? C'mon...
06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote

Now that is classic! Never miss another shot. Just shoot and crop as needed.....lol.
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't pentax the only maker out there at present who is offering the choice of SDM/Screw AF drive on the same body?
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't pentax the only maker out there at present who is offering the choice of SDM/Screw AF drive on the same body?
Nikon have Screw drive and Lens motor drive on most Digital SLRS except the D40, D40X and D60
06-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #58

I think you misread RMabo's post. His point is that if Pentax intended to stop making cameras with screw drives they wouldn't have just released two new screw-driven lenses.
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #59
Inactive Account

Plain and simple, in hand, The mount has not changed and will not. First hand knowledge. Don't ask and the ones who know. Know why I wont answer any further.
06-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #60
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Plain and simple, in hand, The mount has not changed and will not. First hand knowledge. Don't ask and the ones who know. Know why I wont answer any further.
I recon the English is not by far my native language. So it may be just my lack of knowledge but I think you tend to write in giberish in a Nostradamus style gone bad.
I have a nice ideea for you (almighty secret and unique Pentax beta tester). Make some pictures with your extended Pentax gear to this new, elusive camera you are testing right now. You know the drill: some nice details for us the mortals. Please add a small text file with some caracteristics: mp, sensor size, ISO, so forth. Pack all of this in a rar password protected file with lots of characters (it makes it unbreakable unless you are CIA ). Send the rar file to some honnorable members of this forum.
After under 90 days when you say all this will become public give him the password. If the files inside are of this camera I promisse you all my sincere appologies and my proposal for you to become a PENTAX GODESS. If not I would like to suggest some medical treatment (which is entirely up to you) and most of all your promisse that you will leave for good this forum (with or without a second, third, nth "farewell thread - this forum has lost integrity" BS).

Of course this would be unacceptable for you but it is never too much effort to maintain (OR BUILD BECAUSE I NEVER SAW ANY PROOF IN THE PAST FROM YOU) the reputation of a very big Pentax insider (or just a fraud which
is my bet actually).

Radu