Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

For non-enthusiasts... that's even more difficult I think, I would tie it with the presence in supermarkets (e.g. Emag) - they can't even have a very cheap kit (like the competition), because Pentax doesn't make one. In order to appeal to the mass consumers, first they need the products.
But perhaps things are better (i.e. larger market) in Australia.

12-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In order to appeal to the mass consumers, first they need the products.
I agree that Ricoh/Pentax does not introduce their new gear at 'cheap' prices, nor do they have low-end kits that can compete directly with the lowest-end kits of other brands. However, in this case let's remember that the full-page advertisement is intended to promote a kit that the Australian distributor/dealers/oulets think they can sell. It's not designed to sell a 'Pentax-only' kit, not does it need to. If we were to expect a 'Pentax-only kit', what would constitute that 'kit' ? Ricoh/Pentax doesn't make camera bags, for example. And they don't make SD cards. Where does the line get drawn? One could argue that an SD card is as important as the lens, no?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-14-2014 at 10:23 AM.
12-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

If CR Kennedy can sell the camera by pairing it with a Sigma zoom, that's fine for me. Perhaps they should teach The Camera Store how it's done...
12-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a good deal.

12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+1 for CRK. The Weekend Australian is a big fat newspaper with all sorts of sections (lifestyle, travel, real estate etc) and inserts (including a glossy magazine). Brings in a range of readers, and it usually sits around the house (or cafes) for days.
12-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #21

good work CRK, anything that promotes Pentax is fine by me.
Most stores only display Nikon & Canon, and do not know of much else.
So this is good promotion, which is targetted at the business world. Bravo!!
12-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Marketing idiots still didn't get it right 'down' there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Maybe it's just me, but I think the ad is doing the Pentax brand a disservice. For the simple reason that whoever thought it up are creating the impression that the price (okay, and that lame "the very best of everything" claim) is all that Pentax cameras have going for them. How about viable budget options from the Pentax line-up ... but they pair it with a Sigma *super* zoom. Now, that's going to tickle the apex of APS-C image quality out of the 20MP sensor! Sorry, but this is a dumb ad for dumb buyers. In fairness, Ricoh Imaging don't seem to be responsible for it - at least I saw no hint that would link it to them directly.
...and all the others who poo pooed the ad, com on guys, be a bit more charitable. I refuse to believe that the local distributor and the local advertising Co. knows less about the local conditions than you do. This ad costs tens of thousands to create and to put on the full back page of a national news paper and you don't think there wasn't any thought put into it ? Sorry Madaboutpix but to me this is a dumb accusation. It seems to me you know nothing about the local market. Besides, I find it offensive to call K-S1 buyers dumb and for thibs to consider the people who put this ad together as Marketing idiots.

C. R. Kennedy are the Australian (and New Zealand) importer and distributor for Pentax and Sigma and by putting these two together in a special deal with the possible help of Ricoh and Sigma (and the other two participants) suggests to me that in their knowledge of the Australian market they must think this will give them the best chance for brand recognition and an acceptable return on the cost of this full page ad. And it is their prerogative to combine the two brands in one ad for which they are the national importer and distributor.

And if it doesn't come off I'll put C. R. Kennedy and the advertising Co. in touch with Madaboutpix for guidance.

Oh well, during the time of my PF presence I have come to realise that some people just cannot be pleased no matter what.

About | www.pentax.com.au
12-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
distributor for Pentax and Sigma
And Sandisk and Tamrac. so they have the ability to stitch together some very attractive deals like this.

The full back page of any national newspaper anywhere is good exposure. I can't understand why people quibble.

12-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The Australian Pentax distributor also markets Sigma lenses. It's been common past practice for Pentax bodies to be bundled with Sigma lenses, here, as a result. I bought my *istD new, bundled with a Sigma.
Yep, I know, but the fact Ricoh wouldn't see a need to fire those idiots is beyond me.
12-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, I know, but the fact Ricoh wouldn't see a need to fire those idiots is beyond me
Sorry, you totally lost me. If you referring to C.R. Kennedy who run established distribution and reliable service centers nationally for Pentax since 1954, what exactly is it that merits your idiotic retort ? Are you having a problem because they are also importers/distributors and provide service for other brands such as Sigma ?

Please enlighten us.
12-15-2014, 04:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have noted it seems like C.R. Kennedy have been doing these Pentax/Sigma kits for a long time.

My father in law got into digital with a *istDL packaged with a Sigma 18-125 here in Australia.

Given that the old Sigma 18-125 and the current Sigma 18-250 are both quite well reviewed and actually have better ratings here than the Pentax 18-55s they probably make quite an attractive kit lens for new camera buyers. Super zooms are popular for many users who don't want to buy and change multiple lenses, so seems like a reasonable way for the local distributor of both brands to advertise to me...

Cheers
Dean
12-15-2014, 04:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Sorry, you totally lost me. If you referring to C.R. Kennedy who run established distribution and reliable service centers nationally for Pentax since 1954, what exactly is it that merits your idiotic retort ? Are you having a problem because they are also importers/distributors and provide service for other brands such as Sigma ?

Please enlighten us.
It is stupid from Ricoh to have their importers continuously selling kit with Sigma lenses, is this so hard to get ?
12-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi

I actually own a Sigma 18-250 which I won in a competition. (In my prejudice I would have never purchased such a lens) It sat on the shelf for a very long time because I did not think it could be any good at that price and range. Then when I finally decided to give it a go I was gobsmacked to see how well it performed throughout the full range. In fact the image of the ad was taken with it.

The decision to marry the Sigma with the Pentax K-S1 in this deal makes a lot of sense as the target audience for the K-S1 would be those who would want to do "everything" with just one lens and a simple camera at a low price but still value IQ.

Greetings
12-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Even worse, they printed the ad rotated 90o!

We're talking about the Ricoh, Sigma, Sandisk, Tamrac (and possibly other brands) Australian distributor, right? CR Kennedy, IIRC. From what I understand they're often pairing Pentax cameras with Sigma lenses.
The camera would be nicer with a small prime like the 35mm DA; but I don't think that's what the average consumer wants.
CRK distributes Pentax, Sigma, Zeiss & Hasselblad, to name the main players, and the ad obviously tries to spread the love around.
12-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with Sigma lenses.
To be honest, personally I still prefer Sigma over a lot of Pentax lenses - they just work better for me. And I would definitely prefer a Sigma lens over the silly kit lenses - better IQ.

And any advertising is good advertising - gets the name out there to the masses.

That being said, personally I would of not went for the K-Silly1... but that is just me and many other might disagree.