Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Australian Newspaper advertising

Took a quick snap of the full page ad which appeared in this weekend's "The Weekend Australian". The Australian is a national brought sheet (600mm x 400mm, 23 x 16 inch) and the ad takes the full back page.

So in Oz, it appears, Pentax is not yet doomed

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:47 AM.
12-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... but a K-S1 value package in 'The Weekend Australian'? Bit like marketing margin loans in the Daily Worker, nevertheless it's good to see the 'No marketing' campaign is behind them.
12-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They didn't run with Strawberry Shortcake or Key Lime Pie. Maybe they are saving that for the back of "Dolly". But, seriously, this add could pull some young execs. It looks the part. A 'thumbs up' for the advertising.
12-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This ad would sit beside ads marketing specifications, not prices. Why not place an 'Audi' style ad for the K-3 (+Sigma Art lens) in the Weekend Australian and the K-S1 ad in the Telegraph? Good start, but all wrong.

At least we've got something to critique. I don't think I've ever seen and Australian ad before. Does the fact I care make me one of those Pentaxians?

Last edited by jawsy; 12-14-2014 at 04:31 AM.
12-14-2014, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
'Forget the USA pricing' LOL (or not...)

And selling it with Sigma kit lens, really? Marketing idiots still didn't get it right 'down' there.
12-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Even worse, they printed the ad rotated 90o!

We're talking about the Ricoh, Sigma, Sandisk, Tamrac (and possibly other brands) Australian distributor, right? CR Kennedy, IIRC. From what I understand they're often pairing Pentax cameras with Sigma lenses.
The camera would be nicer with a small prime like the 35mm DA; but I don't think that's what the average consumer wants.
12-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pathetic advertising, sorry ...

Maybe it's just me, but I think the ad is doing the Pentax brand a disservice. For the simple reason that whoever thought it up are creating the impression that the price (okay, and that lame "the very best of everything" claim) is all that Pentax cameras have going for them. How about viable budget options from the Pentax line-up ... but they pair it with a Sigma *super* zoom. Now, that's going to tickle the apex of APS-C image quality out of the 20MP sensor!

Sorry, but this is a dumb ad for dumb buyers.

In fairness, Ricoh Imaging don't seem to be responsible for it - at least I saw no hint that would link it to them directly.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-14-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: wrong emoticon
12-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
'Forget the USA pricing' LOL (or not...)

And selling it with Sigma kit lens, really? Marketing idiots still didn't get it right 'down' there.
The Australian Pentax distributor also markets Sigma lenses. It's been common past practice for Pentax bodies to be bundled with Sigma lenses, here, as a result. I bought my *istD new, bundled with a Sigma.

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2014 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Maybe it's just me, but I think the ad is doing the Pentax brand a disservice. For the simple reason that whoever thought it up are creating the impression that the price (okay, and that lame "the very best of everything" claim) is all that Pentax cameras have going for them. How about viable budget options from the Pentax line-up ... but they pair it with a Sigma *super* zoom. Now, that's going to tickle the apex of APS-C image quality out of the 20MP sensor!

Sorry, but this is a dumb ad for dumb buyers.

In fairness, Ricoh Imaging don't seem to be responsible for it - at least I saw no hint that would link it to them directly.
The Australian newspaper is aimed mainly at the business community, although it still heavily features the strident right-wing politics that infects all the Murdoch press. The word emphasised in the ad is "value" which is a key word for people in business, and which they back up with their promise on best available pricing. Having said that, I agree that their choice of pushing the K-S1 is a bit odd in a paper that regularly advertises Porsches, not Hyundais.
12-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
This ad would sit beside ads marketing specifications, not prices. Why not place an 'Audi' style ad for the K-3 (+Sigma Art lens) in the Weekend Australian
They have also done the full page adv. for the new Sigma Art short zoom, and, a full page adv. for the 645Z.
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
. but a K-S1 value package in 'The Weekend Australian'? Bit like marketing margin loans in the Daily Worker, nevertheless it's good to see the 'No marketing' campaign is behind them.
'The Weekend Australian' is a serious classy paper, not some tabloid. Some people may actually like this camera; we are all different.
12-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this bold, 'in your face' advertising. Readers will take notice.

I don't think they're promoting this kit towards long-established photographers who already have a bundle of lenses or who are debating 'this prime' or 'that prime'. This is a self-contained kit, pushed at a price point. For under $1,000, get an "amazing new DSLR photo kit at an unbeatable price," and go out and take great pictures. And why not pair the camera with a Sigma lens? How many of us own a Sigma? (many). It's not a shabby match.

The ad itself is pretty well done: bold statements, clear price under a thousand, (sort of) Pentax red, limited time offer. The first thing readers see is "THE KILLER KIT," the second is probably the "PENTAX" brand on the camera. There's no confusion with RICOH. And - there's no silly photoshopped person handling a pretty coloured camera. The black is 'serious'.

Edit: Upon further thought, I think the ad could draw prospective buyers into the Pentax fold. Then they might also consider other options and 'plus-up' to, say, the K-3, albeit at a higher price. Once they're in the store, so to say, they've got the entire Pentax line to consider.

Good on ya.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-14-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo.
12-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I try to remember when was the last time when I saw an advertising in a publication somewhere in Europe, not to talk about in my country.
Anyway, is a good step. Lets hope that will not be a singular one, and they became more frequently everywhere. And why not, that this camera, K-S1, will not be the newest for many month.
12-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Its a Pentax in a full-page ad! Hooray!
That's also a nice deal on the whole kit, though the K-S1 isn't something I'm shopping for.
12-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I try to remember when was the last time when I saw an advertising in a publication somewhere in Europe, not to talk about in my country.
Anyway, is a good step. Lets hope that will not be a singular one, and they became more frequently everywhere. And why not, that this camera, K-S1, will not be the newest for many month.
It surely happened, in magazines like Photomagazine or Chip Foto Video. I don't think it's very effective here, word of mouth is much stronger.
Elsewhere in Europe, of course they do ads too. But last time I traveled it was in Germany, at Photokina - where of course they had the already classic "mobile" (taxi) ads... I don't think that's representative
12-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

A friend bought a D3200 with an 18-250 so she wouldn't have to change lenses. I think she paid around 800 Canadian for it. Mind you it doesn't do bracketing and a pile of other stuff Pentax users take for granted. So I understand the market. She also has small hands and preferred the smaller size of that camera and light weight. The odd thing was even though I was comparing her 24 MP camera to my K-5 images, with the 18-250 lens on the camera, there was no discernible increase in IQ. But when she held my K-5 her comment was "to big, too heavy."

So, the fact that there's people where who don't know what the market is for this camera, I know one personally, and there are probably thousands more.

I know everyone thinks any camera designed to be what they want is perfect, and the cameras designed for other people are trash.... but that's just psychopaths talking. Psychopaths in that they can't empathize with other folks enough to realize that different people have different needs.

For my friend, the criteria were, small and light, easy to use, no lens changes. But she would have liked a bracketing implementation. This camera once the price drops will be right up her alley. And she represents a market just as much as the posters on the forum. It's just a market that isn't represented on the forum. (The forum tends to be people who overthink their gear, where as her market are probably people who under think their gear, they just want better than point and shoot.) But it is quite possibly a larger market segment than is represented here. When I look at my non-photographer friends and by far the largest market is non pros, I think this camera could do really well.

Last edited by normhead; 12-14-2014 at 10:08 AM.
12-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It surely happened, in magazines like Photomagazine or Chip Foto Video. I don't think it's very effective here, word of mouth is much stronger.
Elsewhere in Europe, of course they do ads too. But last time I traveled it was in Germany, at Photokina - where of course they had the already classic "mobile" (taxi) ads... I don't think that's representative
I wasn't talking about an advertising in a photo dedicated magazine, but about a general publication. People who reads photo magazines, are enthusiast photographer, who knew all about, and a marketing there almost didn't count, is wasted money, in my opinion. What about a banner on a highway? Or a page in a newspaper, or a clip on TV? This is advertising.

Yes, I remember a big banner on the highway from Bucharest to Ploiesti, two years ago, but was not for Pentax, but for C...

As you said, on Taxi, is a good one, but how long is there?