Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I don't think 5-axis stabilization requires any change to the SR mechanism at all beyond what Pentax has implemented already.

The five axes are movement sensors only (vertical translation, horizontal translation, axial rotation, vertical tilt, horizontal tilt) and all contribute to moving the image sensor with three degrees of freedom: vertical translation, horizontal translation, and axial rotation. The image sensor doesn't tilt. If it did it would throw the image out of focus.
That's right.

Pentax would not have to change the SR mechanics, but only add sensors for the translational movement.

Would be cool if they could support three translational axes, i.e. automatically adjust focus next to the SR compensation.

12-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Oh God, who needs Sony? I've got a three of their cameras and they're fun but strip away that aggressive noise reduction and it's like the King's new clothes!
That may be so, but note that the best consumer sensors that money can buy are Sony sensors.

Perhaps your cameras use bad/small sensors, but a big part of what make the K-5, K-3, and 645Z exciting, are their excellent Sony sensors.
12-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
(...)

Would be cool if they could support three translational axes, i.e. automatically adjust focus next to the SR compensation.
That's called AF-C .
12-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's called AF-C .
That's not true and you know it.

12-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #305
Pentaxian

What's the difference, if you adjust focus by moving the sensor in relation to the lens or the lens in relation to the sensor?
12-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #306
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What's the difference, if you adjust focus by moving the sensor in relation to the lens or the lens in relation to the sensor?
Well, you (probably) screw up any possibility of an OVF.
Otherwise, not much I'd say.

Or maybe even not, after all, Kyocera did this already with the whole film plane (but, what a tank, lol) in the Contax AX.

Last edited by thibs; 12-24-2014 at 08:56 AM.
12-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, you (probably) screw up any possibility of an OVF.
Otherwise, not much I'd say.

Or maybe even not, after all, Kyocera did this already with the whole film plane (but, what a tank, lol) in the Contax AX.
The OVF might not be perfectly in focus then but that when tracking very fast movement in theory so you eyes might not catch anyway... And it could be used only when taking the photo, at the very moment the mirror is up and you don't see anything anyway.

12-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #308
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The OVF might not be perfectly in focus then but that when tracking very fast movement in theory so you eyes might not catch anyway... And it could be used only when taking the photo, at the very moment the mirror is up and you don't see anything anyway.
If you don't see the camera focussing, you can't check the focus, so what would be the point ?
Trust the cam, cross fingers and push the trigger?
And wha would be the purpose of an OVF if the focus is not done in the OVF but done in camera?

Frankly, I'd get EVF over that, right away.
12-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #309
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I finally have confidence that Pentax and the K-mount will be around long enough to make significant capital investment in significant new equipment a good risk.
Agreed. A couple of years back I was one of the people who the Pentax VP talked to. After hearing him say that exact same thing, in the following year I bought an FA 31mm and 77mm. I've toyed, often, with buying a 43mm, too. I suggested a UW PC lens (like a 20mm f2.8) for K mount as something I'd like to see. I'd buy that, too, if it came out (especially as an FA.) (Right now, though, I'm debating between the Pentax 55-300 and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8)
12-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k3ii with samsung sensor!
no more sony sensors!
12-24-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
(Right now, though, I'm debating between the Pentax 55-300 and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8)
Sorry for digression but this caught my eye; these two lenses aren't really comparable as they serve different purpose. I don't have 55-300 but I had 50-200 and I have the Tamron.

50-200 is a compact, decent telezoom that you take with you for a stroll if you feel like you might shoot long.
Tamron is a kilo+ of high quality glass you take when you *need* the IQ and/or 2.8, otherwise it stays home.

I don't really shoot much above 50mm (and that mostly at dance shows of my children in places with poor lighting). If I was into it, I'd consider having 55-300 too; Tamron is just too heavy for casual stuff.

Having said all that, I *did* carry Tamron around a lot this year.
12-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #312
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
no more sony sensors!
Wasn't the K20D the first Pentax with CMOS sensor, made by Samsung... that later showed to be not so good at all?
12-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Wasn't the K20D the first Pentax with CMOS sensor, made by Samsung... that later showed to be not so good at all?
But I think pentax can do bettter with this new sensor as the did with k5 sensor!
12-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
A couple of years back I was one of the people who the Pentax VP talked to.
Heh. I was, too.
12-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
no more sony sensors!
Like Sony, don't think that Samsung will release the freshly baked BSI sensor to other mfr until they have milked enough of it. Besides, I think that the adoption of Samsung sensor in Pentax DLSR is less likely with the ownership by Ricoh compared to the days of past years.