Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #361
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,585
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the A7 is usually mentioned as a benchmark for what Pentax needs to beat! Seems quite a few of us would prefer an A7-type Pentax K-mount camera over a D810-type or 5DIII-type DSLR. Of course with Pentax finishing touches, which would improve the things that are Sony's weakness right now
I disagree with you. Why we don't see comparison with other top camera from other manufacturer. Why Canon 70D is not mention by these Sony people for video tracking as a benchmark? And the list can go on and on.

And I can tell more, but I think that's a waist of time, because it seems that no one wants to do something about this, despite repeated signals send by many members.


Last edited by JimmyDranox; 01-08-2015 at 11:25 AM.
01-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #362
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
+1. IMHO the A7 is the cam (series) that Pentax should have created but again, they are still watching their competitors passing them and running away with customers
If that light leaking, improperly fixed mount piece of... camera is so good, then I guess the entire industry should stop what they're doing and make only A7 clones from now on (as a concession, they are allowed to clone the A7MkII instead).
01-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #363
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 71
Maybe they open a subforum called "whining antisocial old men knowing everything better what Pentax should do" and dump all the crap posts there in a pile.
All this old, repetitive Sony (or what ever else) fanboydom has no place here (Pentaxforums), just as the constant "they should do this - what I personally want" has not place in a "news and rumors" section.
01-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #364
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,529
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
+1. IMHO the A7 is the cam (series) that Pentax should have created but again, they are still watching their competitors passing them and running away with customers
A camera with no lense echo system due to incompatible mount? An FF with the slowest native lenses possible to compensate for the short registration design problem?

Why should pentax redesign they good FF lenses to make them fat due to shorter registration distance mount? This make no sense. A7 registration distance would be good for an APSC camera, it is unsuited for FF.

That so funny. Most APSC camera suffer for too long registration distance and consequently difficult to design wide angle. This was for compatibility with existing echosystem.

Sony managed to use a mount made for APSC with too short registration distance and still avoid getting any real benefit from the backward compatibility it provide. Their APSC lenses do not cover FF image circle. More their FF lenses have slow apperture (f/4 zooms, f/1.8 at best prime) and are quite average size anyway. Tele are simply bigger.

To embrace this as the best move possible and something to be done by all manufacturers is really funny.

01-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #365
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
Maybe they open a subforum called "whining antisocial old men knowing everything better what Pentax should do" and dump all the crap posts there in a pile.
All this old, repetitive Sony (or what ever else) fanboydom has no place here (Pentaxforums), just as the constant "they should do this - what I personally want" has not place in a "news and rumors" section.
There's already a "what I want in a 645zII" or something thread.
01-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #366
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,878
I see no reason not to buy a K-3 at the moment. I know when they release the specs, and i know when it will be available in the stores. I will be one of the first to get the FF. And its not exactly tomorrow to put it that way
01-08-2015, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #367
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 230
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But there will NEVER be an A7 equivalent in K-mount. That why this is irrelevant.

A7 by definition is short registration distance.
The benefit of a short registration difference: a smaller form factor, requires newly designed lenses, so no, Pentax has little business going the Sony route.
B.t.w. I own and use a K3 as well as a Sony A7r, The K3 for birding and wildlife, and before I got the Sony A7r, I also used it for landscapes and portraits with Zeiss primes. The K3 handles like a "pro" camera, the Sony A7r handles rather like a consumer grade pocket camera, the battery door coming loose, the lcd laminated screen coming loose, the shutter sound very loud, the (plastic) mount cannot handle stress, the raw files are default lossy compressed, no option for lossless, there are color casts due to sensor stack reflections with my 28mm prime, battery life is short, no dual card slot, etc.....
Still, the K3 is never used anymore for landscaping or portraits, because the A7r despite all of its shortcomings has the one thing that matters, and which the K3 does not have: a very high quality FF sensor that produces images that simply make you enjoy photography immensely.
I.m.o., Pentax should leave the 24mp Sony FF sensor for what it is, and use the one sensor that opens up limitless possibilities: the Sony 36mp. Higher mp FF sensors are coming, but in much the same way as the 16mp sensor hit the sweet spot in Apsc format, the 36mp sensor hits a very sweet spot in FF format.

Chris
01-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #368
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But there will NEVER be an A7 equivalent in K-mount. That why this is irrelevant.

A7 by definition is short registration distance. If you keep K-mount, and start for the A7 II body at more than 600g and add some deph to it, you already have K3 size/weight anyway. Nothing revolutionnary. Appart for manual focussing, EVF has still more drawbacks than benefits. There no insentive to go this way.

Continuing asking for A7 Pentax version in every thread will not change the fact. Want A7? Stop winining buy one, go MF or changes lenses at the same time.

And please... stop asking for an impossible thing and speaking of Sony all the time in a Pentax forum...
Have you not read about the supposed K-mount 'bellows' concept?

If true, it means the FF will not be a conventional DSLR but a K-mount short-flange mirrorless with EVF and new lenses instead which can also natively mount all the long-flange K SLR lenses as well.

I call it the MIL-K.

01-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #369
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I see no reason not to buy a K-3 at the moment. I know when they release the specs, and i know when it will be available in the stores. I will be one of the first to get the FF. And its not exactly tomorrow to put it that way
Not many know the specs....or have even seen yet, have they? As for a reveal, 5 weeks isn't too long to wait and I would guess that my wife has just enough time to get pregnant and have the baby before I could actually use the new FF to take the baby pictures!! Holiday season being just around the corner by then.....
01-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #370
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,932
I do find the Sony fan-dom somewhat annoying. Sony may be the giant killer. Nikon and Canon are probably trembling in their boots. But to this point, they have just released a huge number of mirrorless cameras onto the market and the glass that has followed has been fair to middling at best.

My big fear if Pentax would emulate Sony and create a new mount is that whatever length of time it takes Sony to create glass for their mount, it will take four to five times that length of time for Pentax to create the same lens line up. I know I started a thread asking the question if SLRs are dying, but I think the news of their death is really over blown. Most people are interested in buying the best camera they can for a given price and as long as the SLRs are competitive, have solid well developed lens line ups, I don't believe that mirrorless are going to kill them off.

The whole EVF versus OVF is a non-argument for most photographers. It just isn't that big a deal in the real world for most photographers. They'll choose based on price and glass and the rest of the stuff that people argue about on the forums is neither here nor there.
01-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #371
Senior Member
Danas_Anis's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 187
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do find the Sony fan-dom somewhat annoying. Sony may be the giant killer. Nikon and Canon are probably trembling in their boots. But to this point, they have just released a huge number of mirrorless cameras onto the market and the glass that has followed has been fair to middling at best.

My big fear if Pentax would emulate Sony and create a new mount is that whatever length of time it takes Sony to create glass for their mount, it will take four to five times that length of time for Pentax to create the same lens line up. I know I started a thread asking the question if SLRs are dying, but I think the news of their death is really over blown. Most people are interested in buying the best camera they can for a given price and as long as the SLRs are competitive, have solid well developed lens line ups, I don't believe that mirrorless are going to kill them off.

The whole EVF versus OVF is a non-argument for most photographers. It just isn't that big a deal in the real world for most photographers. They'll choose based on price and glass and the rest of the stuff that people argue about on the forums is neither here nor there.

K-mount is the strength of Pentax. So if Ricoh Pentax guys are smart, they gonna stay with it. Not to mention they already have 3 mounts to handle, K mount, Q series mount, 645 MF mount, To start a new one would be not smart unless they drop one and K mount has too long roots to drop it,
01-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #372
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,285
So with the tease or reveal of the new k-50 replacement we see a few glimpses of where Ricoh is going.

If they do a refresh of the k-3 (k-3II?) as some are anticipating, will some of those features such as WiFi and articulated screen appear in the new APS-C flagship (k-3II) or will they wait for the next release?


Shameless attempt at redirecting this thread back on topic....................
01-08-2015, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #373
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So with the tease or reveal of the new k-50 replacement we see a few glimpses of where Ricoh is going.

If they do a refresh of the k-3 (k-3II?) as some are anticipating, will some of those features such as WiFi and articulated screen appear in the new APS-C flagship (k-3II) or will they wait for the next release?


Shameless attempt at redirecting this thread back on topic....................
There can be two versions of both:
  • Wi-Fi - I would argue that the K-50 replacement Wi-Fi will be optimized for jpeg transfers to social media devices and the K-3 replacement Wi-Fi will be optimized for tethering, real-time remote viewing and RAW file transfer to PP devices. Something like the difference between an Eye-Fi Mobi and an Eye-Fi Pro combined with a FluCard for Pentax. Also, someone wrote there is an App coming for iOS and Android associated with the K-50 replacement.
  • Articulating LCD - I would argue the K-50 replacement will be optimized for selfie shooting and video emulation (articulating side-hinged) and the K3 replacement will be optimized for studio and landscape - bottom-hinged like the 645z, more like a Refconverter than a VidCam.
  • K-3 replacement will have more in common with the FF (mini-645z) and less with the mid-range. Very close to a full-on professional camera.
You might ask why they would waste money on two implementations. I've read hundreds of times that Wi-Fi and a hinged LCD cost almost nothing, so why not spend almost nothing in two different, optimized ways?
01-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #374
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
(...) A7 registration distance would be good for an APSC camera, it is unsuited for FF.
(...)


Ever heard of Leica M, Canon, Contax C, Nikon S, Contax G and other 24x36 rangefinder cameras?

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So with the tease or reveal of the new k-50 replacement we see a few glimpses of where Ricoh is going.

If they do a refresh of the k-3 (k-3II?) as some are anticipating, will some of those features such as WiFi and articulated screen appear in the new APS-C flagship (k-3II) or will they wait for the next release?

(...)
With articulated screens equipping both 645Z and K-50 successor, I very much doubt the successor to K-3 wouldn't have one.
01-08-2015, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #375
Pentaxian
cxdoo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Posts: 1,092
Personally I don't see anything they added as a must have. If I was in the market for a camera I'd get K3 at that crazy price right now.

There's two things that would make me itch for a new camera: better sensor tech than current K5+ era sensors AND (distant second) a significantly smaller/lighter camera than what I have now.
That doesn't matter though, my budget for next couple years is all lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, bsi, camera, dealer, feb, ff, field of view, format, fov, grip, heaven, inventory, k-3, k3, length, lens, mf, nikon, panasonic, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, price, ricoh, sensors, sony, time, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you replace your K5 series with the new flagship? Wired Pentax K-5 51 10-10-2013 06:18 PM
Should I wait? lewvanbommel Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 08-10-2013 08:55 PM
What Do You Really Need On The New Flagship? tabl10s Pentax K-5 21 03-15-2013 07:02 AM
should I or wait? varyabol Pentax K-5 27 01-11-2012 05:40 PM
should i wait dafiryde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 05-08-2008 06:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top