Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You might ask why they would waste money on two implementations. I've read hundreds of times that Wi-Fi and a hinged LCD cost almost nothing, so why not spend almost nothing in two different, optimized ways?
Inventory cost of having two models? Two SKU's that retailers have to stock? Pentax has always seemed to be under-modeled compared to other brands. At some points only really having two models. But as you say, the production cost would be small so why not?

I'm going go with the k-3II being just a refresh of k-3 with no articulated screen and WiFi still being a FluCard option. They might add the LED's though

01-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But there will NEVER be an A7 equivalent in K-mount. That why this is irrelevant.
There was a K-01, I enjoy it a lot, and I hope there will be a K-02! If Pentax learns from what Sony did right and wrong, they can make another top notch mirrorless camera, I would love that!
01-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Inventory cost of having two models? Two SKU's that retailers have to stock? Pentax has always seemed to be under-modeled compared to other brands. At some points only really having two models. But as you say, the production cost would be small so why not?

I'm going go with the k-3II being just a refresh of k-3 with no articulated screen and WiFi still being a FluCard option. They might add the LED's though
Mid-range and Enthusiast range are already 2 different models and two different SKU's. I'm suggesting the midrange has a different Wi-Fi- protocol and articulating LCD than the Enthusiast K-3 replacement. Then there is the FF - - -

As far as SKU's, every color of the K-50, each with or without a kit lens, has a unique SKU, inventory cost, order estimating process, entry on the web page (at B&H Amazon and Adorama) - and the resulting undercount of model sales and mis-ranking in Amazon lists and CIPA reports.
01-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As far as SKU's, every color of the K-50, each with or without a kit lens, has a unique SKU, inventory cost, order estimating process, entry on the web page
Good point!

01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Ever heard of Leica M, Canon, Contax C, Nikon S, Contax G and other 24x36 rangefinder cameras?

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

With articulated screens equipping both 645Z and K-50 successor, I very much doubt the successor to K-3 wouldn't have one.
One could wonder why there are not that much used. We were speaking of future of DSLR... Rangefinder are a niche market and have been for long time.

I'am not convinced they are better suited to handle long lenses.
01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There was a K-01, I enjoy it a lot, and I hope there will be a K-02! If Pentax learns from what Sony did right and wrong, they can make another top notch mirrorless camera, I would love that!
But K-01 is not an A7. There is no shorter registration distance, there no EVF and no FF. From my understanding, theses are the key point of A7 and why some bother us with it that much wanting an A7 in K-mount.

By definition it is not possible... And my point is that anyway you can have a K-mount body, FF and have small lenses like FA ltd.
01-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #382
Pentaxian

I think the A7 is usually mentioned as a benchmark for what Pentax needs to beat! Seems quite a few of us would prefer an A7-type Pentax K-mount camera over a D810-type or 5DIII-type DSLR. Of course with Pentax finishing touches, which would improve the things that are Sony's weakness right now
Sure. A year and a half ago it was the D800. Etc.

I just figure that if I'm going to lust over something, make it lustworthy. I want a 645z.

01-09-2015, 03:09 AM   #383
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the A7 is usually mentioned as a benchmark for what Pentax needs to beat! Seems quite a few of us would prefer an A7-type Pentax K-mount camera over a D810-type or 5DIII-type DSLR. Of course with Pentax finishing touches, which would improve the things that are Sony's weakness right now
Actually, the reason why I chose Pentax is their history of big-bang-for-the-buck and tiny cameras that pack a huge punch. I had expected (and hoped) the first camera like the NEX and later the A7 to come from Pentax instead of Sony.

Take the DA limited line of lenses as a fine example. Pentax finds compactness such an important feature, that they are willing to sacrifice valueble lens speed for it. An attribute that directly affects the usability of the camera. Directly affects the creative flexibility of the user. And even influences the quality of the formed image. So, I had guessed that when mirrorless came into play they would have had no problem whatsoever with joining that race for small giants. Because removal of the OVF does not even influence the quality of recorded image at all. The smaller form factor would even increase the creative flexibility of the user. But they didn't. It's like their lens R&D department and their camera R&D department have totally different goals and don't even speak to each other.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-09-2015 at 03:22 AM.
01-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #384
Veteran Member

Oh yes, to be clear, I want a K-mount mirrorless, with K-mount register distance. And I know this means the camera would be thicker than an A7, but I don't mind. The limited lenses make up for it. I am completely aware of all the pros and cons of A7 and K-01 (and K-mount in general). I think K-02 with EVF would sell like.. well, something that sells well.
01-09-2015, 06:36 AM   #385
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just want my camera with the 645z sensor, but higher and lower ISO, 4k, make that 8k video, mirrorless with a retractable mount to change the registration distance and allow the use of 645 and K mount lenses with full autofocus and aperture functionality. Ohh, and give it to me for 2500 dollars.

Or give me a camera that is better than my K3 and gives me lower ISO with better DR at a good price. Or maybe I'll enjoy the equipment I have for now and see what Ricoh has in store for us.
01-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #386

maybe FF is coming after the K-3 indeed and it could be this summer
01-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Or maybe I'll enjoy the equipment I have for now and see what Ricoh has in store for us.
That's the Voice Of Reason
01-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #388
Veteran Member

Oh yes, to be clear, I want a K-mount mirrorless, with K-mount register distance. And I know this means the camera would be thicker than an A7, but I don't mind. The limited lenses make up for it. I am completely aware of all the pros and cons of A7 and K-01 (and K-mount in general). I think K-02 with EVF would sell like.. well, something that sells well.
So why handlessly speak us of A7 that obviously has no K-mount and short registration distance when while you really want is just a K-02 with a view finder?

I mean A7 is just one mirrorless and typically one that has no K-mount or any standard FF DSLR compatible miror mount. This is very different concept.
01-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #389
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I mean A7 is just one mirrorless and typically one that has no K-mount or any standard FF DSLR compatible miror mount. This is very different concept.
The A7 is the only way for us Pentaxians to use our beloved 3 princes almost properly. It's not brought up in many topics for nothing.
01-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The A7 is the only way for us Pentaxians to use our beloved 3 princes almost properly. It's not brought up in many topics for nothing.
I use my "two amigos" (31 and 43 ltd ) on my Fuji X-E2 .... very much properly !

JP