Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You don't need to have inside knowledge to read the tea leaves. The price cut to the K-3 was as clear an indicator that something new is coming as a big flashing neon sign...
Yep, that coupled with average elapsed time between 'flagship' launches (15-18 months), it's about time for both flagship and K-50 successors.

I'll go ahead and predict that both will generate much controversy because there are only incremental improvements and/or the launch prices will be too high.

12-16-2014, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Hmmm. I'm thinking it might be worth waiting if it's an upgrade to the K-3 but not if it's going to be that danged FF thing (on which I plan to hang back while I figure out why I might want it.)
You'll want it because it's there, why people want it when it's not there is another issue.
12-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Removable tilting screen ...
3D holographic screen.
12-16-2014, 11:11 AM - 6 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

I heard the new flagship will come with a bracket on the grip that has a K-S1 welded to it. Like a camera version of the Jimmy Page double neck guitar, if one of the necks lit up like a discotheque and appealed to giant women.

12-16-2014, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
PentaxIsDooomed!™
With all of these failed attempts to kill Pentax, I'm beginning to think more along the lines of "Pentax is a Flesh Eating Zombie!"
12-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
With all of these failed attempts to kill Pentax, I'm beginning to think more along the lines of "Pentax is a Flesh Eating Zombie!"
Get that trademarked right away, John!
12-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Isn't he just saying a K-3 replacement is coming, and if you want the newest, it's only two months away? I like rumors as much as anyone, but I don't see any FF glimmer in what he said.

12-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #38
Forum Member

Cheaper modification of K-3 with the same count of pixels. And option to chose much more color options, even ordering your own rainbow colored k-300.
12-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You'll want it because it's there, why people want it when it's not there is another issue.
But a ff would (effectively) make all my lenses shorter-right? I mean after all I spent on long lenses why would I want that? Yeah, I know, I can just crop to get the same impression of reach but why spend oo-gobs and then crop it away? I'm sceptical
12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

But a ff would (effectively) make all my lenses shorter-right? I mean after all I spent on long lenses why would I want that? Yeah, I know, I can just crop to get the same impression of reach but why spend oo-gobs and then crop it away? I'm sceptical
No it would make them show their actual focal length instead of being cropped and their field of view narrowed.
12-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #41
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm betting on a APS-C replacement first. K-50 & K-5iis already discontinued and K-3 close to blow out. Can't
imagine a line up of >only< 645z, K-FF and KS-1. If I were shopping for a new camera the 645 would clearly
be too much, the KS-1 not enough and the K-FF??? Will have to wait and see. The K-3 is so ideal for my
needs and I'm very glad to have picked it up. I trust Pentax is wise enough to recognize the success of the
K-5/K-3 and am betting on a K-2 to follow. And maybe a K-FF somewhere down the road. Maybe.

But then again, this >is< Pentax, the same company who gave us the smallest ILC mirrorless camera, the most
affordable MF option and the KS-1, the camera no one knows about and no one wants. By extension it's
not unreasonable to assume the K-FF is on the way. Just don't think it will be anything like you expected; safe
money says it won't be a clone of the competition and will very likely have a definite 'uniqueness' about it,
useful or not.
K-3 could be just a bit tweaked and nothing else. I see that it's the top of APS-C line.
K-S1 is niche product, no doubt. It would be ideal to see 3 new cameras - K-3 and K-50's replacement, and new FF.
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #42
owl
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
and appealed to giant women.
As a camera designer, I can tell you that this is always an objective.
12-16-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
No it would make them show their actual focal length instead of being cropped and their field of view narrowed.
Too funny, so is an actual focal length, of a 300mm lens the field of view shot on a 645, an FF an APC-s a 4/3 or a Q?
Trick question...
There is no actual focal length. A 300mm lens is still 300mm, no matter what format you shoot it on. Only the field of view changes, Since the largest format you could possibly use a 300mm lens on would be an 8x10 view camera, all those digital formats are horribly cropped. The term cropped sensor was designed by camera makers that make FF cameras, to sell cameras to fools. Of which there are plenty.

Even in digital a 36x24 is a cropped sensor. SO you're saying the uncropped FoV would be 300mm on a 645 camera? Ya, I'm with you, I'd love a 300mm lens on a 645 D or Z too.
12-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I'm all for truth (and justice too, for that matter) but, like, what's in it for me?
12-16-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand that dilemma. Why buy a 24 mp FF camera to use with the same lenses as a 24 mp APS-C camera if what you're after is reach. Guess what you'd gain is more subject isolation, although you might risk having to stop down to keep your entire subject in focus, and better high iso performance, which could be an advantage in maintaining high shutter speeds for moving subjects, but not if it's offset by having to stop down. Plus you need to crop to get the same field of view. If reach is your primary objective I'd probably stick with APS-C.