Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Too funny, so is an actual focal length, of a 300mm lens the field of view shot on a 645, an FF an APC-s a 4/3 or a Q?
Trick question...
There is no actual focal length. A 300mm lens is still 300mm, no matter what format you shoot it on. Only the field of view changes, Since the largest format you could possibly use a 300mm lens on would be an 8x10 view camera, all those digital formats are horribly cropped. The term cropped sensor was designed by camera makers that make FF cameras, to sell cameras to fools. Of which there are plenty.

Even in digital a 36x24 is a cropped sensor. SO you're saying the uncropped FoV would be 300mm on a 645 camera? Ya, I'm with you, I'd love a 300mm lens on a 645 D or Z too.
I meant in terms of focal length on APS-C cameras, and the constant confusion and argument over "equivalent" focal length. Its just focal length and not equivalent focal length anymore.

12-16-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
The thing is........when the next big thing is FF, why would you stop with the aps-c K-3?
12-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,982
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I meant in terms of focal length on APS-C cameras, and the constant confusion and argument over "equivalent" focal length. Its just focal length and not equivalent focal length anymore.
The "equivalent focal length" is just a convenience that turns out to be confusing. Many of us started off using 35mm cameras, so focal length carried certain information to us; after 20 years of using the full frame sensor known as a 35mm frame, we intuitively know what the field of view is for each lens focal length. Unfortunately, we haven't found a new way of expressing that information what we can all quickly grasp.
12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #49
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Removable tilting screen...


Steve
Removable tilting screen with wifi and compatible with Android apps

12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #50
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 864
K3s AND Full frame...

That's what I'm hoping for.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!!! Along with Apple...

Actually, I think Pentax may be the next Apple of the photographic world.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-16-2014, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,257
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Assuming the rep knows something (and not repeating speculations read on Pentaxforums ), I'd say there are two possibilities: either a camera just below, but otherwise an improvement of the K-3, or one above which most likely means a larger format.
I don't see why Pentax would need to lower K-3 pricing that much to prepare for an FF offer unless the FF offer is very budget oriented, which is very hard to believe.

IMO there's a K-3 mk2 coming and it is about time indeed
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
It will most probably be a K3 replacement, or updated version... that's the only reason I would see as well as to why they reduced prices on the K3. FF should not in theory conflict with the prices for their crops...

I have doubts FF will come any time soon.
12-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #53
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Plywoo Quote
Removable tilting screen with wifi and compatible with Android apps
Well, that is the sweet part. The screen can be removed and an optional phone docking station inserted in its place.


Steve

12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #54
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,310
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't see why Pentax would need to lower K-3 pricing that much to prepare for an FF offer unless the FF offer is very budget oriented, which is very hard to believe.

IMO there's a K-3 mk2 coming and it is about time indeed
We don't know precisely why they lowered the K-3's price, it could be a response to the competition, trying to sell more units in the winter season...
Perhaps they want us to buy as many K-3s as possible, then buy a FF as well

I really don't think we'll see a K-3 replacement at CP+.
12-16-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 876
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't see why Pentax would need to lower K-3 pricing that much to prepare for an FF offer unless the FF offer is very budget oriented, which is very hard to believe.

IMO there's a K-3 mk2 coming and it is about time indeed
I could buy a K3 replacement theory. However, I am at a loss as to what they can do to an already excellent platform. Then again, they can improve the video quality, add built in WiFi. Those are the two capabilities I think are missing from a flagship product that is in a very competitive space. Although the price competitive offerings from the others (Nikon 7100, etc.) are not that great for video either.

I don't know. I am torn on this issue. I like the K3 for stills but if it came to doing video I have to look elsewhere which defeats the point of having good glass. It is a shame to have Limited quality lenses and not be able to use it for better grade video footage on the same platform.
12-16-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Many of us started off using 35mm cameras, so focal length carried certain information to us; after 20 years of using the full frame sensor known as a 35mm frame, we intuitively know what the field of view is for each lens focal length.
And many of us started with APS-C so we have an intuitive knowledge of what the field of view is for each lens focal length. And some started with MF or still use MF and intuitively know what the FOV is with that format unless it is a 645d or 645z which is cropped and has a completely different FOV. And what happens when I use my M42 Takumars on a Q? And was/is there not an APS-H format? Ron where are you?

Take a 50mm 645 lens. You can mount it on a film 645, a 645d, a 24x 36 camera, an APS-C camera, a Q and on a Q7 and get a different FOV, all with the same lens.

I think the entire photographic world would be well served if everyone started to refer to lenses using the FOV rather than the focal length. But since focal length is a lens property independent of the sensor it is used on the only 'standard' is what is scribed on the lens. So we are stuck with "relative focal length" and mental calculations.
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #57
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,257
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And many of us started with APS-C so we have an intuitive knowledge of what the field of view is for each lens focal length. And some started with MF or still use MF and intuitively know what the FOV is with that format unless it is a 645d or 645z which is cropped and has a completely different FOV. And what happens when I use my M42 Takumars on a Q? And was/is there not an APS-H format? Ron where are you?

Take a 50mm 645 lens. You can mount it on a film 645, a 645d, a 24x 36 camera, an APS-C camera, a Q and on a Q7 and get a different FOV, all with the same lens.

I think the entire photographic world would be well served if everyone started to refer to lenses using the FOV rather than the focal length. But since focal length is a lens property independent of the sensor it is used on the only 'standard' is what is scribed on the lens. So we are stuck with "relative focal length" and mental calculations.
Stop this, I have APS, 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5. Enough is enough

---------- Post added 16-12-14 at 22:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We don't know precisely why they lowered the K-3's price, it could be a response to the competition, trying to sell more units in the winter season...
Perhaps they want us to buy as many K-3s as possible, then buy a FF as well

I really don't think we'll see a K-3 replacement at CP+.
I was surprised at that idea at first too but :
1/ 16 months rule.
2/ It is too sharp of a fall IMO. And I do not think the 7DII trounces the K-3 that much if at all (trouncing I mean, the 7DII certainly has edges).
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member
rburgoss's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 972
Original Poster
I will not confirm nor deny any conversations took regarding possible specs for new "thing". Al I will say without betraying my friend's trust at the local Pentax dealer, is that among that conversation, some words worth picking out were:

"that french buy a Photokina said a little too much about what he was supposed to...."

"price? nobody knows, but quoting some words from Ricoh's representative: Pentax will come out with the FF camera when we can lower the price enough as to compete with our product and name..."

"flagship? no question; an improved K3? not necessarily...."

"but if its a FF camera... what about new glass for it? Yes, just 4 out of the current production are FF compatible..... (what about a body that can shoot both ff and apsc... giving chance to use legacy and actual glass...)

"who knows... it may even be a totally new beast.... have you considered mirrorless?"

"Mirrorless? with the actual EVF's... nahhh. What if new EVF is totally different from what we know?


OK, that's enough to scramble things up. Don't ask me what (from the above ideas) was said by whom or what was "statement" and what was "speculation".

I've done enough damage!

Buaaahahahahahaha.....!
12-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #59
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I will not confirm nor deny any conversations took regarding possible specs for new "thing". Al I will say without betraying my friend's trust at the local Pentax dealer, is that among that conversation, some words worth picking out were:

"that french buy a Photokina said a little too much about what he was supposed to...."

"price? nobody knows, but quoting some words from Ricoh's representative: Pentax will come out with the FF camera when we can lower the price enough as to compete with our product and name..."

"flagship? no question; an improved K3? not necessarily...."

"but if its a FF camera... what about new glass for it? Yes, just 4 out of the current production are FF compatible..... (what about a body that can shoot both ff and apsc... giving chance to use legacy and actual glass...)

"who knows... it may even be a totally new beast.... have you considered mirrorless?"

"Mirrorless? with the actual EVF's... nahhh. What if new EVF is totally different from what we know?


OK, that's enough to scramble things up. Don't ask me what (from the above ideas) was said by whom or what was "statement" and what was "speculation".

I've done enough damage!

Buaaahahahahahaha.....!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts... don't worry, I can wait since I just added the k-3 to my k-5/IIs, I have enough for now to let LBA and CBA bug me for some time.
I heard D750 can take FX and DX automatically without user-intervention so that legacy glass can be used, so I don't see that being not implemented in new Pentax FF gear if that happens to be true in the latest rumour.
12-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #60
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
The K-3 competition was the Nikon d7100 and the canon 70d. Both have dropped in price and the K-3 also to about same to continue to compete. The d7100 was marketed as a high performace APS-C good for action & sports but its buffer is too small. The 70d has the buffer but it is more for video. The K-3 is better overall including 8.3 fps, and reasonable buffer. Although i think the AF.C of the K-3 works, i can see that is an area of improvement of the K-3 compared to the d7100, the 70d and the new 7Dmarkii. The other camera in that mix is the new d750 whch is FF, good overall including AF.C and good at video, but limited 6fps and buffer size.

Therefore in order to compete Pentax needs to decide where to compete and how to close the gaps it has.

A) Is it against the 7Dmarkii for the action and sports APS-C? Where they will need to improve by 2fps to 10, better AF.C and release the 70-200 2.8 and the 100-400 lenses?

B) Is it against the d750 but making a K-3FF same as k-3 features and performance but FF, 10 fps, good buffer size,with an improved AF.C, better video, release the 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 lenses; and make it so it can also use the aps-c lenses and automatically become a crop camera like nikon is doing?

C) is it against the 70d and d7100 with a K-3markii with enhanced video and enhanced AF.C only?

From the options above i think Pentax would need to go with option "B" and keep the body cost under 2K USD. Otherwise i see it hard to compete for Pentax.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, bsi, camera, dealer, feb, ff, field of view, format, fov, grip, heaven, inventory, k-3, k3, length, lens, mf, nikon, panasonic, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, price, ricoh, sensors, sony, time, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you replace your K5 series with the new flagship? Wired Pentax K-5 51 10-10-2013 06:18 PM
Should I wait? lewvanbommel Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 08-10-2013 08:55 PM
What Do You Really Need On The New Flagship? tabl10s Pentax K-5 21 03-15-2013 07:02 AM
should I or wait? varyabol Pentax K-5 27 01-11-2012 05:40 PM
should i wait dafiryde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 05-08-2008 06:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top