Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(...)

I will read with interest, but I am strangely copacetic with the way things are.

(...)
I had to Google this one!

Thank you for making me learn a new word and all the theses about its origin.

To get back on topic: what about an APS-C camera (successor to K-3) and a 24x36 camera sharing many pieces of equipment but the prism, mirror and sensor, the former being announced in the framework of CP+, the latter shown as a mock-up under glass?

This would mean Pentax reverting to a slightly bigger body (think K10D/K20D), which I would personally very much like: K-7, K-5 and K-3 are too small for my taste, I don't know what to do with the little finger of my right hand.

Last edited by Mistral75; 12-17-2014 at 03:07 AM.
12-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Going forward, I think the K-S1 will settle in to the entry-level slot at around $500. IMHO, the K-50 and K-3 are fine as-is but as has been mentioned they seem to be dropping in price and due (time-wise) for replacement. Then there's the potential FF to deal with. I can't see Pentax coming out with three brand new models in the next six months though, not to mention the lenses that would be needed for the FF.

The K-50 is at $350 body only. That's an insane deal and qualifies as closeout pricing to me, similar to when the K-5IIs was going for $500 or whatever before it was discontinued. It's older than the K-3...maybe they'll replace that one first, putting in the 20mp AA-less sensor from the K-S1 and whatever other goodies they have.

I can't see a K-3 replacement coming out within 6 months either direction of a potential FF. For example, I would see either a K-3II at CP+ followed by a FF next fall, or vice versa. Unfortunately, if I were in charge of sales/marketing at Ricoh, I would put the K-3II out first to reap sales to the Pentax faithful, then hit them with the FF they can't resist 6 months later.

All speculation, obviously. In my opinion, the K-3 is good for another year, and the only thing wrong with the K-50 is that the K-S1 has more MPs and the AA-less design. But with the K-3 currently selling for $800, where do you price the K-50II?
12-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who really knows? I guess just folks in Japan.

Certainly the K3 is due for an update this coming year, but as far as I can tell, there aren't any new sensors on the horizon -- at least not from an APS-C standpoint. My guess would be that we will see a K60 with same sensor as K-S1, but weather sealing and KS-1 will sort of slide into the K500 price range. There will be an updated K3 with same sensor, but improved video, maybe a tilting screen and a few other features thrown in.

Sometime during the year there will be a full frame camera.

I am more interested in the new glass that should be coming out this year. Pentax hasn't exactly torn it up the last couple of years with k mount lenses. The 16-85 is fine, but doesn't really appeal to me, but certainly if full frame is on its way, it would be nice to see what sorts of things they come out with to accompany it.
12-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the Kxx line will cease, a K60 will become the KS-2, we might have KS-2 / K-3II / maybe FF / Q's will strengthen QS-2... / FF might come to the GR / limited monochrome GR for enthusiasts / perhaps a mirrorless MF.

Last edited by beachgardener; 12-17-2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
12-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think "wait" is really bad advice. The K-3 is awesome and at a great price point. If you haven't bought a K-3 yet, what are the odds you're going to jump on the (whatever it is we're supposed to be waiting for) at more that twice the price the minute it comes out?
12-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Finally some new rumors. I always enjoy such threads. [Grabs popcorn.] I predict 20 pages by the end of the day.

Anyway, it's going to be a 3D videocamera of course, duh! It will be called the 2K-1, because it will have two K-mounts and two sensors and first in the line. It's their new plan for selling more lenses. They expect it to double their sales. ☺
12-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IF Pentax releases a full frame camera I think they may surprise us with a nice price, say less than 2000. Just a hunch. However a full frame may not be what is coming in February if this is true at all. Could be an enhanced K-3 with 4K video, along with a few other things. I suspect that we will hear something about a full frame at that time though.

12-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #113
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over in the Toy Camera thread, we are excited! We think Pentax has abandoned any idea of a FF camera and in February will announce that they are going strictly "Toy Camera". Maybe they will announce an entire line of new Toy Cameras?
If so, you guys can join us here!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...fess-here.html

Regards!
12-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #114
Pentaxian

I think the new series Will be the KS series. So we might see the KS-10 as a replacement of the K-50 and a KS-100 in replacement of the K-3. The FF will come as the KF-1. Sounds a little weird but who knows.
12-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Whatever it is, I'm in...except if it says "Ricoh" on the front (or back).
That would be just my luck too.
Waiting all these years for a Pentax FF, and when it comes, it says Ricoh.
That. Would. Be. Classic.

That would explain the mysterious comments two years ago by the (apparently) drunken Chinese 'source' who proclaimed there would be tears in Pentaxland.
12-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am more interested in the new glass that should be coming out this year. Pentax hasn't exactly torn it up the last couple of years with k mount lenses. The 16-85 is fine, but doesn't really appeal to me, but certainly if full frame is on its way, it would be nice to see what sorts of things they come out with to accompany it.
Based upon the recent Halloween and Webstore sales one could surmise they'd like to reduce the inventory of SMC FA77 and SMC FA31.
12-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #117
Pentaxian

I'm intrigued by discussions about what appears to be a hybrid viewfinder. However, since I've been using a NEX-6 for virtually 100% of the past year, I've become quite accustomed to shooting from hip level. If this new camera has FF, tilt-screen, and live view, I'll be highly interested.
12-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Based upon the recent Halloween and Webstore sales one could surmise they'd like to reduce the inventory of SMC FA77 and SMC FA31.
The brief discussion I had led me to believe there are lenses coming in the next month or two.
12-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
A New K-3 with improved AF.C, would be the perfect K-3 in my opinion. Then only a FF can beat that.
We have had "improved" AF.C with every new model since the K10D apparently.

It's time Pentax totally overhauled it rather than giving us small improvements with each new body.
12-17-2014, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am really not interested in version 2 of the FA limiteds. I know they could do sealing, quick shift and HD coatings, but it wouldn't be worth the difference to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
We have had "improved" AF.C with every new model since the K10D apparently.

It's time Pentax totally overhauled it rather than giving us small improvements with each new body.
Issue at this point is not the camera body, it is the lenses. SDM lenses in particular are not driven fast enough to keep up with any action. Sure, you could add more focus points, but the K3 is adequate as long as the lens is fast enough to track.