Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The thing is........when the next big thing is FF, why would you stop with the aps-c K-3?
Because Sony is getting ready to release new sensor technology in Feb. I'm not sure Sony is going to continue to manufacture the traditional CMOS sensors. Maybe the new sensors will be BSI. Maybe they will be something like a Foveon. Sony is offering huge rebates on its own A77II which is newer than the K-3. Nikon is clearing its Dxxxx inventory.

I would guess we are going to see BSI APS-C sensors with really high power processors like the Samsung NX-1. K-3II will launch with a FF. Pentax needs a marketing splash.

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Certainly the K3 is due for an update this coming year, but as far as I can tell, there aren't any new sensors on the horizon -- at least not from an APS-C standpoint.
Sony is expected to announce new sensor tech in Feb. The new A77II is currently marked down $500 and Nikon is clearing is Dxxxx inventory. It looks like everyone who uses Sony APS-C sensors is getting ready for new bodies. It looks like the manufacturers know the new technology is going be good enough than existing inventory will be worthless.

12-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am really not interested in version 2 of the FA limiteds. I know they could do sealing, quick shift and HD coatings, but it wouldn't be worth the difference to me.
That's pretty much why I (finally) bit on the sale prices.
12-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Timing of a new body is good for me as I have been thinking up upgrading my K5. FF or APC, not sure, but recent experience from some colleagues who purchased full frames is that they have either retained their APC cameras or they have purchased new Fuji or the Olympus cameras. They are all now questioning their move to full frame and feel that their general needs are better met with cropped sensors. They claim that they are getting just as good images on cropped sensors as they are on their full framed cameras. Their only caveat is that when shooting in low light, the full frame is preferred for the extra stop they get.

For me, I like the idea of an upgraded K3. Primarily I'm interested an articulated and higher resolution screen, Improved focus for fast moving eagles and sports, improved noise reduction at high iso and a sharp, relatively fast 100-400 lens that is capable of high speed focus.
12-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #124
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Timing of a new body is good for me as I have been thinking up upgrading my K5. FF or APC, not sure, but recent experience from some colleagues who purchased full frames is that they have either retained their APC cameras or they have purchased new Fuji or the Olympus cameras. They are all now questioning their move to full frame and feel that their general needs are better met with cropped sensors. They claim that they are getting just as good images on cropped sensors as they are on their full framed cameras. Their only caveat is that when shooting in low light, the full frame is preferred for the extra stop they get.

For me, I like the idea of an upgraded K3. Primarily I'm interested an articulated and higher resolution screen, Improved focus for fast moving eagles and sports, improved noise reduction at high iso and a sharp, relatively fast 100-400 lens that is capable of high speed focus.

I would keep my K-5 II just for the extra reach on the tele end (plus macro). Use the FF (if we get one) for wide shots.. landscapes and scenery mostly. Then again, I cannot be certain because this is all hypothetical. Since the digital FF pentax body is too...

12-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #125
Forum Member

my guesses

K70 or some other number Kx0
basically a k3 in K50 body

K3 II

built in FLU
faster FPS
better processor/buffer/AF
12-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Issue at this point is not the camera body, it is the lenses. SDM lenses in particular are not driven fast enough to keep up with any action. Sure, you could add more focus points, but the K3 is adequate as long as the lens is fast enough to track.
Although I recently sold it I had the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS for my 7D as well as the K-3 (now also sold). The AF tracking and speed was faster and more accurate on the Canon which is a much older body.

Yes Pentax lenses (SDM) need a motor upgrade but it's not just that, the K-3 is still not in the same league as others when it comes to AF.
12-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Removable tilting screen...
Steve
645Z sensor shoehorned into a Pentax FF making it the greatest DSLR ever seen!

But I'll buy it in 2 years time when the price is right...

12-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
645Z sensor shoehorned into a Pentax FF making it the greatest DSLR ever seen!

But I'll buy it in 2 years time when the price is right...
But... that will make it an MF not FF...
12-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
But... that will make it an MF not FF...
Doh!

Or both, in the same compact FF sized body then!

[/sillyness]
12-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you are thinking of going FF at some point then I would study the lens database and other information and only get lenses that are sure to work on FF.
If you are thinking of going FF then I would study what other companies offer. Not a knock on Pentax products; my bad photos are mostly due to me rather than because my sensor isn't large enough. Some photographers need something that's only achievable with a larger sensor, so go change systems to get your photos now instead of waiting for Pentax unicorns and rainbows.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Whatever it is, I'm in...except if it says "Ricoh" on the front (or back). That would be just my luck too. Waiting all these years for a Pentax FF, and when it comes, it says Ricoh. That. Would. Be. Classic.
I hope you're joking. It's the same camera and same K-mount compatibility whether it says Pentax or Ricoh.
12-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think the new series Will be the KS series. So we might see the KS-10 as a replacement of the K-50 and a KS-100 in replacement of the K-3. The FF will come as the KF-1. Sounds a little weird but who knows.
Ricoh has stated that the "S" lines (K-S*, Q-S*) are meant to be new and separate lines (I believe with more daring/experimental styling, somebody correct me if I'm misremembering this), so I'm more inclined to believe the K-50's replacement will be dubbed K-60 or K-70 and continue to sell alongside the K-S1.
12-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
As the proverb goes... "May we live in exciting time."
For the record, it's a curse, not a proverb. It's based on the fact that "interesting times" in history usually involve wars, famines, plagues, revolutions, all the stuff that isn't very good for the people actually living it.
12-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Well, Amazon's brief listing at the K-3 (Old Model) from last month would indicate a revamp to the existing flagship in lieu of a new designation or FF.

UNLESS IT'S A FULL FRAME K-3!!!
That's what I'm hoping for. I'm not counting on it but if they did it I'd probably buy one.
12-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is exactly on point. I've been thinking about getting a K3 (I already have a K30, K-01, K20D and a Nikon D7000).

Say a K3ii comes out with top shelf predictive AF.C, a tilty-shifty screen and even better sensor performance, would I be willing to spend $500 or $600 over what the K3 is now for that? I don't know, I'm inclined to say no. But, it would be tempting since that is what I am hoping for.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think "wait" is really bad advice. The K-3 is awesome and at a great price point. If you haven't bought a K-3 yet, what are the odds you're going to jump on the (whatever it is we're supposed to be waiting for) at more that twice the price the minute it comes out?
12-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Say a K3ii comes out with top shelf predictive AF.C, a tilty-shifty screen and even better sensor performance, would I be willing to spend $500 or $600 over what the K3 is now for that? I don't know, I'm inclined to say no. But, it would be tempting since that is what I am hoping for.
If there is a k-3II I would expect only minor improvements but a return to a much higher price point. So while waiting might get you the newest, you will pay a premium for that with most likely only marginal improvements.

I very much doubt they would change anything so dramatically as to add a tilt screen. The body will be identical except the name plate. I would expect a hardware fix for the mirror flop, updated firmware, and maybe some minor (almost unnoticeable) improvements in the AF. Anything beyond that would likely be reserved for a new model, not a refresh.