Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Too funny, so is an actual focal length, of a 300mm lens the field of view shot on a 645, an FF an APC-s a 4/3 or a Q?
Trick question...
There is no actual focal length. A 300mm lens is still 300mm, no matter what format you shoot it on. Only the field of view changes, Since the largest format you could possibly use a 300mm lens on would be an 8x10 view camera, all those digital formats are horribly cropped. The term cropped sensor was designed by camera makers that make FF cameras, to sell cameras to fools. Of which there are plenty.

Even in digital a 36x24 is a cropped sensor. SO you're saying the uncropped FoV would be 300mm on a 645 camera? Ya, I'm with you, I'd love a 300mm lens on a 645 D or Z too.
I meant in terms of focal length on APS-C cameras, and the constant confusion and argument over "equivalent" focal length. Its just focal length and not equivalent focal length anymore.

12-16-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #47
Banned

The thing is........when the next big thing is FF, why would you stop with the aps-c K-3?
12-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I meant in terms of focal length on APS-C cameras, and the constant confusion and argument over "equivalent" focal length. Its just focal length and not equivalent focal length anymore.
The "equivalent focal length" is just a convenience that turns out to be confusing. Many of us started off using 35mm cameras, so focal length carried certain information to us; after 20 years of using the full frame sensor known as a 35mm frame, we intuitively know what the field of view is for each lens focal length. Unfortunately, we haven't found a new way of expressing that information what we can all quickly grasp.
12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Removable tilting screen...

Steve
Removable tilting screen with wifi and compatible with Android apps

12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #50
Veteran Member

K3s AND Full frame...

That's what I'm hoping for.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!!! Along with Apple...

Actually, I think Pentax may be the next Apple of the photographic world.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-16-2014, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Assuming the rep knows something (and not repeating speculations read on Pentaxforums ), I'd say there are two possibilities: either a camera just below, but otherwise an improvement of the K-3, or one above which most likely means a larger format.
I don't see why Pentax would need to lower K-3 pricing that much to prepare for an FF offer unless the FF offer is very budget oriented, which is very hard to believe.

IMO there's a K-3 mk2 coming and it is about time indeed
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member

It will most probably be a K3 replacement, or updated version... that's the only reason I would see as well as to why they reduced prices on the K3. FF should not in theory conflict with the prices for their crops...

I have doubts FF will come any time soon.

12-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Plywoo Quote
Removable tilting screen with wifi and compatible with Android apps
Well, that is the sweet part. The screen can be removed and an optional phone docking station inserted in its place.

Steve
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't see why Pentax would need to lower K-3 pricing that much to prepare for an FF offer unless the FF offer is very budget oriented, which is very hard to believe.

We don't know precisely why they lowered the K-3's price, it could be a response to the competition, trying to sell more units in the winter season...
Perhaps they want us to buy as many K-3s as possible, then buy a FF as well

I really don't think we'll see a K-3 replacement at CP+.
12-16-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

I could buy a K3 replacement theory. However, I am at a loss as to what they can do to an already excellent platform. Then again, they can improve the video quality, add built in WiFi. Those are the two capabilities I think are missing from a flagship product that is in a very competitive space. Although the price competitive offerings from the others (Nikon 7100, etc.) are not that great for video either.

I don't know. I am torn on this issue. I like the K3 for stills but if it came to doing video I have to look elsewhere which defeats the point of having good glass. It is a shame to have Limited quality lenses and not be able to use it for better grade video footage on the same platform.
12-16-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Many of us started off using 35mm cameras, so focal length carried certain information to us; after 20 years of using the full frame sensor known as a 35mm frame, we intuitively know what the field of view is for each lens focal length.
And many of us started with APS-C so we have an intuitive knowledge of what the field of view is for each lens focal length. And some started with MF or still use MF and intuitively know what the FOV is with that format unless it is a 645d or 645z which is cropped and has a completely different FOV. And what happens when I use my M42 Takumars on a Q? And was/is there not an APS-H format? Ron where are you?

Take a 50mm 645 lens. You can mount it on a film 645, a 645d, a 24x 36 camera, an APS-C camera, a Q and on a Q7 and get a different FOV, all with the same lens.

I think the entire photographic world would be well served if everyone started to refer to lenses using the FOV rather than the focal length. But since focal length is a lens property independent of the sensor it is used on the only 'standard' is what is scribed on the lens. So we are stuck with "relative focal length" and mental calculations.
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And many of us started with APS-C so we have an intuitive knowledge of what the field of view is for each lens focal length. And some started with MF or still use MF and intuitively know what the FOV is with that format unless it is a 645d or 645z which is cropped and has a completely different FOV. And what happens when I use my M42 Takumars on a Q? And was/is there not an APS-H format? Ron where are you?

Take a 50mm 645 lens. You can mount it on a film 645, a 645d, a 24x 36 camera, an APS-C camera, a Q and on a Q7 and get a different FOV, all with the same lens.

I think the entire photographic world would be well served if everyone started to refer to lenses using the FOV rather than the focal length. But since focal length is a lens property independent of the sensor it is used on the only 'standard' is what is scribed on the lens. So we are stuck with "relative focal length" and mental calculations.
Stop this, I have APS, 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5. Enough is enough

---------- Post added 16-12-14 at 22:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We don't know precisely why they lowered the K-3's price, it could be a response to the competition, trying to sell more units in the winter season...
Perhaps they want us to buy as many K-3s as possible, then buy a FF as well

I really don't think we'll see a K-3 replacement at CP+.
I was surprised at that idea at first too but :
1/ 16 months rule.
2/ It is too sharp of a fall IMO. And I do not think the 7DII trounces the K-3 that much if at all (trouncing I mean, the 7DII certainly has edges).
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will not confirm nor deny any conversations took regarding possible specs for new "thing". Al I will say without betraying my friend's trust at the local Pentax dealer, is that among that conversation, some words worth picking out were:

"that french buy a Photokina said a little too much about what he was supposed to...."

"price? nobody knows, but quoting some words from Ricoh's representative: Pentax will come out with the FF camera when we can lower the price enough as to compete with our product and name..."

"flagship? no question; an improved K3? not necessarily...."

"but if its a FF camera... what about new glass for it? Yes, just 4 out of the current production are FF compatible..... (what about a body that can shoot both ff and apsc... giving chance to use legacy and actual glass...)

"who knows... it may even be a totally new beast.... have you considered mirrorless?"

"Mirrorless? with the actual EVF's... nahhh. What if new EVF is totally different from what we know?

OK, that's enough to scramble things up. Don't ask me what (from the above ideas) was said by whom or what was "statement" and what was "speculation".

I've done enough damage!

Buaaahahahahahaha.....!
12-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I will not confirm nor deny any conversations took regarding possible specs for new "thing". Al I will say without betraying my friend's trust at the local Pentax dealer, is that among that conversation, some words worth picking out were:

"that french buy a Photokina said a little too much about what he was supposed to...."

"price? nobody knows, but quoting some words from Ricoh's representative: Pentax will come out with the FF camera when we can lower the price enough as to compete with our product and name..."

"flagship? no question; an improved K3? not necessarily...."

"but if its a FF camera... what about new glass for it? Yes, just 4 out of the current production are FF compatible..... (what about a body that can shoot both ff and apsc... giving chance to use legacy and actual glass...)

"who knows... it may even be a totally new beast.... have you considered mirrorless?"

"Mirrorless? with the actual EVF's... nahhh. What if new EVF is totally different from what we know?

OK, that's enough to scramble things up. Don't ask me what (from the above ideas) was said by whom or what was "statement" and what was "speculation".

I've done enough damage!

Buaaahahahahahaha.....!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts... don't worry, I can wait since I just added the k-3 to my k-5/IIs, I have enough for now to let LBA and CBA bug me for some time.
I heard D750 can take FX and DX automatically without user-intervention so that legacy glass can be used, so I don't see that being not implemented in new Pentax FF gear if that happens to be true in the latest rumour.
12-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #60

The K-3 competition was the Nikon d7100 and the canon 70d. Both have dropped in price and the K-3 also to about same to continue to compete. The d7100 was marketed as a high performace APS-C good for action & sports but its buffer is too small. The 70d has the buffer but it is more for video. The K-3 is better overall including 8.3 fps, and reasonable buffer. Although i think the AF.C of the K-3 works, i can see that is an area of improvement of the K-3 compared to the d7100, the 70d and the new 7Dmarkii. The other camera in that mix is the new d750 whch is FF, good overall including AF.C and good at video, but limited 6fps and buffer size.

Therefore in order to compete Pentax needs to decide where to compete and how to close the gaps it has.

A) Is it against the 7Dmarkii for the action and sports APS-C? Where they will need to improve by 2fps to 10, better AF.C and release the 70-200 2.8 and the 100-400 lenses?

B) Is it against the d750 but making a K-3FF same as k-3 features and performance but FF, 10 fps, good buffer size,with an improved AF.C, better video, release the 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 lenses; and make it so it can also use the aps-c lenses and automatically become a crop camera like nikon is doing?

C) is it against the 70d and d7100 with a K-3markii with enhanced video and enhanced AF.C only?

From the options above i think Pentax would need to go with option "B" and keep the body cost under 2K USD. Otherwise i see it hard to compete for Pentax.