Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
He's a master seller for sure!
He knows he can sell the K-3 to almost everybody at those prices, and knowing you're a die-hard fan he probably reasoned: "wait, if he buys the K-3, then there's gonna be one less people buying the K-watever... nonono... he's gonna buy the next model, I'll make sure of that!!!"
LOL! I had a similar thought at the start of this thread, but stayed my tongue not to suggest anyone might
be so gullible....

12-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Yes a drop in price usually indicates a new flagship is soon to follow. Should be worth the wait I hope. My wish is that it's FF and incorporates the following features. No need for a new APS-C camera since the image quality of the K-3 is rated superior to that of the new Canon 7D by DP Review.

1. True built in WIFI with wireless tethering and file transfer of both RAW and JPG files to remote devices. No more FLU card. If no WIFI tethering then support for wired tethering to Lightroom.

2. Electronic shutter for high speed flash sync (1/8000) similar to the one used in the Lumix GH4.

3. In camera multipliable channel and group flash control similar to the Nikon creative lighting system. It would be fantastic if Ricoh build an OEM radio trigger system like the Phottic Odin system for Nikon and Canon.

4. Wider area autofocus system and improved focus tracking and all focus points crossed typed.

5. 10fps burst shooting

6. 4K video
12-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I am not sure if you were aware that inside Pentax community, the wait is eternal.
Same stories people have heard and re-iterated since 2004.
I started waiting by the end of 2012, after Pentax admitted working on a FF. YMMV.
12-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #79
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
lol I bet it will not be FF, and people on this forum will go catatonic. There will be mental breakdowns. Get insurance before the announcement!
You mean.. just like the last 20 times a thread like this has popped up on the forum with the same result. Usually there is just a bunch of huffing and puffing and people calm down.

12-16-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a K-3 exactly 12 months ago.
I sold many Pentax lenses and will sell many more.
I bought all three Princesses.

I will read with interest, but I am strangely copacetic with the way things are.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-16-2014 at 05:38 PM.
12-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So having that in mind, what is the value of any new "flagship" if it sinks at the bottom of ocean after a few shots?
50% of intro price?
12-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #82
Forum Member

Likely use K lenses on new FF?

hey guys,

Just curious if you think we would be able to use the K lenses on a new FF if it comes out? I am thinking of getting the k3 now and would be a lot easier to decide if I know at least the lens investment would be recouped with the FF.

thx,
mike

12-16-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Just curious if you think we would be able to use the K lenses on a new FF if it comes out? I am thinking of getting the k3 now and would be a lot easier to decide if I know at least the lens investment would be recouped with the FF.
There would be no point in introducing a k-mount FF if it did not support k-mount lenses. Of course they could introduce a FF with a completely new mount, that would certainly be "different", but I think highly unlikely.

However, k-mount lenses introduced recently have been designed for an APS-C image circle, with exceptions. (And please no flames I am trying to explain this as simply as possible)

So those lenses designated with 'DA' may or may not vignette on an FF camera. Nikon gets around this by having a 'DX' mode that knows the lens will not cover the full chip and so shoots in a mode that allows a good, but smaller, image. Many of the supposedly APS-C lenses have been tested and found to image satisfactorily on FF though. How Pentax will deal with DA lenses that do work and don't work is going to be interesting.

So bottom line: Yes if the FF is k-mount, k-mount lenses will work. Mostly, kinda. If you are thinking of going FF at some point then I would study the lens database and other information and only get lenses that are sure to work on FF. That would at this point be mostly older ones and the DFA series.

Last edited by jatrax; 12-16-2014 at 06:28 PM.
12-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #84
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I would guess that if they have discontinued the K-5ll/K-5lls and discounted the K-3 then most likely we are looking at an APS-C camera and not FF.
12-16-2014, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
I would guess that if they have discontinued the K-5ll/K-5lls and discounted the K-3 then most likely we are looking at an APS-C camera and not FF.
Both(?).

- Sergeant Schultz
12-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Both(?).

- Sergeant Schultz
Sure. They can do a Sony on us. Intro stuff back to back.
12-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #87
Veteran Member

It is an irresponsible act that destroys any proposed value the brand stands for.
Many brands have been on a discount binge recently. Nikon DSLR's and especially Sony prices spring to mind.

And note that while everyone has been slashing body prices, lens prices never fall as much, so brand value and the value of user investments is retained. The price of a K-3 may have halved over the last 16 months, but the price of a DA*300 or FA31 certainly hasn't.
12-16-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

Whatever it is, I'm not buying it. I have a K3 and I like it. I might buy the 16-85 and sell my 15Ltd. Or I might buy a 40XS or similar lens. But barring catastrophe, I'm not buying a new body for another 4 years or so.

(I probably shouldn't have said that.)
12-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And note that while everyone has been slashing body prices, lens prices never fall as much, so brand value and the value of user investments is retained. The price of a K-3 may have halved over the last 16 months, but the price of a DA*300 or FA31 certainly hasn't.
Very true.

The SLR camera business before 2000 has traditionally been built on profits on glasses, not camera bodies. The camera acts as a mere gateway, a hook for enthusiasts for them to buy glasses where serious money will be made. Enthusiasts, not "soccer moms" or pros.

The genius of Canon in the year 2000 turned the original business rationale, into its head. They promoted their products through loss-leading professional endorsements, and Canon became an aspirational brand. Nikon, a step slower, nevertheless, followed suit. Pentax did not. The move catapulted Canon into the top as they start rolling the Rebel series to every Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to "shoot like a pro". By then, they have started making tons of money at camera bodies, where for most people, the kit lens would be good enough for the rest of the camera life, or until the next model arrived.

This started the DSLR boom that would almost last for a decade. Pursuing the idea relentlessly, Canon produced relatively affordable plastic lenses with lesser quality for these Rebel series, and they kept their upper-tiered products (the Ls) at premium quality and premium prices, ensuring that the brand will maintain the "aspirational" image. Of course, obviously, not everybody will buy those white lenses, but Canon will always be happy to sell you their consumer DSLRs and consumer lenses.

However, the advent of camera phones have proved to be a major challenge now. But I digress.

Pentax did make money at its glasses, and it seems that it has been trying to continue that business model of making money traditionally, thus, the value of our glasses should hold (unless a new mount will be introduced).
12-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
You should wait!
Godot will not be coming this evening but surely tomorrow. - Messenger