Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They had a booth at last years show too. They didn't announce anything, just showcased the K-3, K-5 IIS, K-50, K-500, Q7, Ricoh GR, MX-1, and WG-3. The big announcement, what became the 645Z, was at CP+ a month later.

PENTAX - Ricoh Imaging Showcases Enticing Lineup at 2014 International CES, Presents Dealers with Profitable Partnerships

I'm pretty sure there were 2 spaces last year. 1 to show the products and 1 for presenting the "Profitable Partnerships".

I think that went something like this...

But First ... The Whores! - YouTube
You are right. I attended the 2014 CES too. That "partnership" booth was odd. It was sitting in the corner of the main space. I went up and tried to ask a few questions and the guy pretty much told me to get lost. I though that was odd. Why have someone sit at your booth representing your company and refusing to answer questions from the general public. This is an open show so people will naturally come up and ask questions.

On the other hand, someone slipped and told me that a 100-400 equivalent lens was coming soon. That was last year. The Ricoh booth staff which was mostly comprised of Pentax old timers were super nice and helpful. I also met Kerick James, a true gentleman. We had a nice chat.

12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Maybe I'm an odd one but tilting screens have no appeal for me, mainly because I do not use use the existing screen for shooting, because it's a screen not because it doesn't tilt.
Dave L. I used to think the same thing until I got my MX-1. I found out that a tilting screen is actually a very good tool. I have found that I can still place the camera in an odd position but not have to make my aging body conform as much as I used to. Focus peaking om y K3 is also a good thing. My viewfinder is used most of he time, but having an extra focusing aid is also handy.
12-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How many hotel rooms are reserved for "all of the US Ricoh reps"?
I have no idea but it's reps, not dealers so maybe not many?

edit: the good news is they actually have more than one rep.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 12-20-2014 at 11:11 AM.
12-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I have no idea but it's reps, not dealers so maybe not many?
Edit:
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
edit: the good news is they actually have more than one rep.
Good to hear. I was wondering whether they'd need two rooms, or would one suffice?

12-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #260
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
50% of intro price?
Any price reduction as significant as that done by RIAC this season, means the flagship is no more, but, shiver me timbers, a bargain scow.
They should walk the plank.
12-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Mmmh... that could also mean a reduction for the price of used Tamron & Sigma 70-200 2.8 in Pentax mount...
Maybe I'll find a good deal and finally get it...
Might be able to accommodate you there - but lets see what Ricoh brings to Vegas in thy way of new optics
12-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
And--as we all know--that means there's absolutely no possibility for any leak, whatsovever.
Leaks are normally a bad thing, since they deter buyers from making a purchase right now. But perhaps Ricoh is gambling that it's better to deter a few present-day Pentaxians from upgrades right now rather than switching to different systems. In my case, I'm ridiculously loyal, but the Sony A7 II has given me pause.

12-21-2014, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Leaks are normally a bad thing, since they deter buyers from making a purchase right now. But perhaps Ricoh is gambling that it's better to deter a few present-day Pentaxians from upgrades right now rather than switching to different systems. In my case, I'm ridiculously loyal, but the Sony A7 II has given me pause.
Sony A7 is really nice if you look at the glass half full. Support for many lenses from other system manually, quite compact/light and affordable body... You get FF support for all your creativity needs.

If one want to look at the glass half empty, the smaller body comes with shorter registration distance meaning the lenses are bigger or comparable to existing FF lenses. Sony did find a walkaround providing slower lenses in FE mount to keep them reasonably small. You keep say a real MTF adventage if you go A7r (and that useless in most cases) but the high iso and deph of field control thing is almost lost (not entirely as lenses perform better a smaller apperture anyway). What finally stay would be possibility for smaller wide angle primes.

Many wonder what Pentax should do with K-mount regarding mirrorless and shorter registration distance. For the long term, to me, that look quite easy. K-mount is kept for FF bodies and I see no issues at least for the 10 coming years.

Theses FF can be as small/light asA7 just with a bit more deph to accomodate K-mount and come with an EVF. A bigger version could have EVF, OVF or something hybrid. No real reason to change the mount for size here. I do not say even that upcoming FF need to be that small/light already, but that for the long term vision, I would say.

APSC version of this could be kept or when FF sensor become cheap, all the old APSC lenses would work nativelly on the FF... just with more limitations.

The smaller sensor body could be exactly the same as the FF body and just a bit bigger/heavier than A7. But for this sensor size, there more reason to change mount and Pentax can provide something smaller/lighter with a registration distance that match the sensor format. This is not the case of APSC with K-mount and this make wide angle bigger than really needed. Such "poketable" camera would be best up to say 135mm FF focal lens or even up to 200-300 with small apperture consumer zooms. But to keep it reasonably small, you'd better avoid anything longer than 100mm or have it with small apperture.

The FF body would accomodate ultimate quality and all kind of lenses of any size/apperture.

So I see finally 3 camera models in the long term: a smaller format (maybe APSC) with new mount, an FF with K-mount and an APSC with K-mount.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-21-2014 at 08:47 AM.
12-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yes yes yes... Las Vegas is where dreams are born!!!

...hope they don't just last a "Las Vegas night"
But, typically what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . . . .
12-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
But, typically what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas . . . .
...that's what I fear!
12-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
but the Sony A7 II has given me pause.
Its is a surprisingly fast and responsive camera. Maybe my expectations were too low, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the AF speed (55mm F/1.8). Ergonomics are much improved over the A7 and you can customized the buttons to do just about anything. IBIS is not as good as the K-3 from what I can tell, but it definitely gives 2 stops.

I have only had it a couple of weeks, so I'm still figuring it out. The two things that jump out at me are the colors and DR (highlights). With the K-3 I was always fighting color to get what I wanted. I bought the Hue Light color profiles, used the X-Rite color passport, you name it. Always a struggle to get skin tones that I liked. Maybe LR just plays better with the Sony files, but I really like the colors and clarity I'm getting with the Sony RAW files.

I would say rent it for a week and try it out, but the camera has so many customize-able controls and different features it will take a couple of months to really get to know it. There are 4 custom function buttons that you can program to do up to 56 different functions, and 6 other controls that can be reprogrammed to your shooting style. There are 2 custom modes on the dial, but each of those has 4 custom modes so you actually have 8 different user modes. I have one mode setup for my 31mm LTD (IBIS is programmed for this lens) and I have one setup for my 85mm (IBIS set to 85mm focal length) so that if I change lenses I don't have to go into the menu system and change the SR. For people who shoot with a lot of older MF glass, you can setup for 8 different lenses.
12-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #267
Veteran Member

@Winder, I'am not sure for the skin rendering the A7 is for anything here. We speak of raws, we speak of same sensor brand and same derawtiser.

I can't try with Lightroom, but I can try with DxO... Let take an example with K3 & FA77. In order:
- Default Pentax rendering
- DxO rendering for portraiture
- Pentax Portra 160 NC
- Fuji Asia
- Fuji Provia.

Honestly, I see no particular issue, I can easily choose between many rendering or preset to get what I want... And I do find the default Pentax & DxO rendering to be quite satisfying. And there more than 100 rendering to choose from, many B&W, many color with a few for each kind of situation: portraiture, landscape, general purpose, lot of colors or more neutral...

But because I used the FA77 on a K3... I had AF to work for me... Like Zeiss FE 55 f/1.8 I suppose... But this one would be a bit short for portraiture... Like FA77 can be a bit long.

FA77, 1/50s, iso100, f/3.2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.
12-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #268
Veteran Member

And in case you think the A7 rendering is better, you can of course choose it for your K3 in the DxO options. As you could choose Canon 5D, K10D or D4s or many others.

K3 FA77, 1/50s, iso100, f/3.2, using "Sony A99, A7, A7R, A7S" rendering:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-21-2014, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #269
Forum Member

Personally I think the ibis in the a7 mkii is the game changer. Pentax needs to respond.
12-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote
Personally I think the ibis in the a7 mkii is the game changer. Pentax needs to respond.
Agreed. I still can't believe it took this long for someone to make a FF mirrorless with IBIS. Maybe it's been on Sony's radar for a while, but they were able to milk the A7/R/S first, now they can release the Mark II's with IBIS and gain new customers along with repeat sales to existing A7 owners. That's what I would do, if the market allowed.