Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should wait! (new flagship)

Just to fuel up rumors and gossip about a new flagship coming:

Yesterday, after some time thinking about taking the plunge for the K3, I went to the local Pentax dealer decided to drive home with my new K3... Since several days ago, this guy who is more of a friend than a salesperson (dealer owner), gave me a good price on the K3 + da18-135 kit. He even was gonna throw in the grip for a few coins more. (Worth mentioning that this is his LAST K3 in inventory!!!!)

So, I walked in, asked directly for a final price (or the chance to buy body only + grip) and out of nowhere, his answer was:

You should wait!

Wait????? Why? How long?

His answers: Because I know you want the latest.... not long, about two months (february)...

The rest of the conversation of course got a bit inquisitive from my side, but knowing he could not say more, I didn't push it. The fact is that something big is coming in the near future.

12-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't need to have inside knowledge to read the tea leaves. The price cut to the K-3 was as clear an indicator that something new is coming as a big flashing neon sign...
12-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hopefully a K-3ii or something like that with a tilting screen.
12-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K3 ii with backlit APS-C sensor or Full Frame ? Announcement at CP+ for sure

12-16-2014, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
something big is coming in the near future
This is it... FF heaven time is coming.

Sorry... I can't believe I just said that, it just slipped out, I hate it when it does that.
12-16-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
ogl
Banned

any new APS-C - no any interest at all...
12-16-2014, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This is it... FF heaven time is coming.

Sorry... I can't believe I just said that, it just slipped out, I hate it when it does that.
PentaxIsDooomed!™

12-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You know, I was really getting hyped up about a potential K-S1 purchase this coming Boxing Day . . . should I wait now? What is happening?
12-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Assuming the rep knows something (and not repeating speculations read on Pentaxforums ), I'd say there are two possibilities: either a camera just below, but otherwise an improvement of the K-3, or one above which most likely means a larger format.
12-16-2014, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
PentaxIsDooomed!™

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-16-2014 at 09:44 AM.
12-16-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Coming soon, Pentax WG-5! Latest and greatest!
12-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drei3 Quote
something like that with a tilting screen.
Removable tilting screen...

Steve
12-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Removable tilting screen...

Steve
Coming soon, WG-5 bundled with iPad mini!
12-16-2014, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I'm betting on a APS-C replacement first. K-50 & K-5iis already discontinued and K-3 close to blow out. Can't
imagine a line up of >only< 645z, K-FF and KS-1. If I were shopping for a new camera the 645 would clearly
be too much, the KS-1 not enough and the K-FF??? Will have to wait and see. The K-3 is so ideal for my
needs and I'm very glad to have picked it up. I trust Pentax is wise enough to recognize the success of the
K-5/K-3 and am betting on a K-2 to follow. And maybe a K-FF somewhere down the road. Maybe.

But then again, this >is< Pentax, the same company who gave us the smallest ILC mirrorless camera, the most
affordable MF option and the KS-1, the camera no one knows about and no one wants. By extension it's
not unreasonable to assume the K-FF is on the way. Just don't think it will be anything like you expected; safe
money says it won't be a clone of the competition and will very likely have a definite 'uniqueness' about it,
useful or not.
12-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Just to fuel up rumors and gossip about a new flagship coming:

Yesterday, after some time thinking about taking the plunge for the K3, I went to the local Pentax dealer decided to drive home with my new K3... Since several days ago, this guy who is more of a friend than a salesperson (dealer owner), gave me a good price on the K3 + da18-135 kit. He even was gonna throw in the grip for a few coins more. (Worth mentioning that this is his LAST K3 in inventory!!!!)

So, I walked in, asked directly for a final price (or the chance to buy body only + grip) and out of nowhere, his answer was:

You should wait!

Wait????? Why? How long?

His answers: Because I know you want the latest.... not long, about two months (february)...

The rest of the conversation of course got a bit inquisitive from my side, but knowing he could not say more, I didn't push it. The fact is that something big is coming in the near future.
We know that FF is coming. the question is of what MP variety. Since Sony is the sensor maker, close attention to Sony sensor news might be an indication of what the next FF Pentax is going to sport.

My money is on a 24MP FF with SR. That is what Sony has just put in their latest iteration of A7. Let's face it Sony will not give its latest technology to Pentax, Nikon or even Canon before they get a chance to put it in their own bodies and milk it for a while!

As a former Canon guy, I am also following rumors on Canonrumors.com. The word over there is that 40+MP sensor is coming from Canon for Canon bodies. The latest hot-of-the-presses news is that even Canon might switch to a Sony sensors and that it might be a 46MP FF variety.

Even if a big FF becomes available from Sony and offered to Pentax, my guess is that Pentax might hold back on the high MP sensor for its DSLRs so that it does not canibalize the 645Z. After all they currently own the MF segment with the 645Z and they do need to make some money for a while!

As the proverb goes... "May we live in exciting time." Save up boy and girls it is shopping time!!