Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photo.net: Rumor of Pentax's Demise

I am considering to by a K20D this summer. Even - I suspect I am observing first signs of LBA, hovewer without a camera body.
Now I read this strange thread at Photo.net:

Rumor of Pentax's Demise - Photo.net Pentax Forum

05-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the ownership does move to Samsung... I hope they take the Pentax people with them.
05-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I went through ALL of this over at Dyxum, with Konica-Minolta. Although I have no evidence, I'm quite sure this is where we're headed.

Samsung cameras to compete with Sony. We can call it SamSax. Or Pentung. But the point is, the mount will continue on, and the big electronics players will duke it out with Canikon. The Pentax name may die, but the spirit will evolve and live on.
05-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
I am considering to by a K20D this summer. Even - I suspect I am observing first signs of LBA, hovewer without a camera body.

OH NO!!!! I guess I have to switch to "HOLGA" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........

Pentax are doing just fine.

Ben

05-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
We can call it SamSax.
Same-sex?

I, for one, prefer SamTax.

05-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Not Registered

This is another rumor without too much basis. Like the one of the closure of Pentax Canada. Until hoya doesnt reestructure the division, it is difficult to draw any conclusion on this regard. I think that Hoya is not going to be too patient with the photo-imaging section, but I would give another 2-3 years minimum to see if they will sell or not the division (as they have stated in every interview they have made).
05-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
BTW - Semtex is former Czech invention...

05-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Demise of Pentax

As I said on the other thread, if this is true the OP spilled the beans to the entire world. On a political forum these little eruptions from brand new members would be dealt with by the troll police. Not that I am making an accusation, but where does this unfounded stuff keep coming from?

Cameras are disposable consumer items today, just like every other electronic device. There will never be another Spotmatic that lasts for 40 years.

Pentax did not compete well in the 80's and 90's because it didn't have enough capital to develop and tool up for the middle class wealth explosion / addictive consumption.

Canon redeployed a tiny bit of the massive cash flows from the laser printer engine into consumer P&S cameras. Nikon from defense optics. Hoya has massive cash flows from glass; Samsung from everything - do you see the future? Pentax is something to DO with all the cash flow.

Never forget the value of the Pentax brand recognition as it applies to the medical technology division - Pentax will be kept alive and profitable if only for the consumer awareness value to its other divisions.
05-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
OH NO!!!! I guess I have to switch to "HOLGA" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........

Ben
You'd still blow most peoples work away
05-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Banned

Im getting so tired of these threads, pentax is only going forward in the near future. they may go in different routes than we expect but its unlikely they will dissapear. do you know how many photo /camera stores have told me pentax is dead? way to many yet here they are.
05-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"They" said the same thing about Apple 11 years ago. I think Sony was on the radar a few years ago as well. Last time I checked they were both doing pretty well, especially Apple.
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"Leica has died at least a dozen times." < words to live by.
05-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

that's it. I'm selling all my Pentax gear and getting me a P&S. Not!
05-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On a political forum these little eruptions from brand new members would be dealt with by the troll police.
Thank you all for reactions, including that about troll police.
Now - how can a brand new member know some information is valid or not?

As I already mentioned, I intend to buy a K20D. I was just supposing this forum could be the right place to make clear if this is a good idea.

And I still think my choice was correct.
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Troll police

Thank you all for reactions, including that about troll police.
Now - how can a brand new member know some information is valid or not?

As I already mentioned, I intend to buy a K20D. I was just supposing this forum could be the right place to make clear if this is a good idea.

And I still think my choice was correct.
Perhaps the intention wasn't clear enough - this is an open forum and one would never intentionally make an unfounded accusation - on a political forum, where members don't want to hear what they don't want to hear, "Troll Police" block the poster immediately - not here.

The intent was to ask where this persistent, and bogus, "news" of Pentax's imminent demise keeps coming from. There are numerous threads on this topic that run for a week or two, then die. Shortly afterwards another new thread pops up - its just frustrating.

My apologies if I offended.