Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My apologies if I offended.
its OK

- next time I will be more careful.

And - I am really happy this info is bogus

05-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
It just sounds like his guy had a visit from the local Canon rep who made him "an offer he couldn't refuse"

05-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

I'm tired of such rumors... Pentax is very much alive (as a Hoya division now), I don't see why Hoya should stop production or sell them to Samsung. Some people should learn to live with this.
05-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
Now I read this strange thread at Photo.net:
Rumor of Pentax's Demise
Well, I tried to check it out a bit and leave the findings for anybody else here:

(1) The poster at Photo.net (Lewis Hizer) registered new for the post and left this single post and a single reply, only.

(2) A wedding photographer Lewis Hizer does exist in Michigan:
--
(616) 785-7396
7520 Division Ave N
Comstock Park, MI 49321
--
Maybe a forum fellow phones him to verify the info...

(3) If true, the info relates to what a store clerk from Comstock Park has said after the shop dropped Pentax from its line, for whatever reason.

In summary, I would say that the info isn't credible in these internet days where everybody can say everything and we can savely ignore this

05-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #20

I see some problems in selling the dslr division to Samsung:
1) The engineers are Japanese and they won't move to Korea, although Samsung can just set up a research plant there.
2) Hoya still has Tokina, they won't probably fully sell the lens patents, etc. to Samsung and leave it for Tokina.

I guess Samsung can push the bodies and release Schneider lenses and license existing lens designs, while Tokina-Pentax will also feed the mount. Well that's what I hope, since I do not think the self-funding Pentax dslr division can do much further R&D after this attempt.
05-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am considering to by a K20D this summer. Even - I suspect I am observing first signs of LBA,.....
Come on and take the dip the water is fine. I have a K20D and it's great. LBA isn't bad either as long as save some $$ for beer money
05-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
2) Hoya still has Tokina, they won't probably fully sell the lens patents, etc. to Samsung and leave it for Tokina.
One more time...

Hoya does not own Tokina. Hoya provides glass to Tokina for some of their lenses. They share a US distributor that can be found at thkphoto.com. Otherwise, they are not related.

05-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, if Pentax is not going to be on the market anymore,
why would Sigma and Tamron all of sudden releasing their new lineup of lenses for Pentax?
Won't that be weird.
I think Sigma & Tamron executives know much better on where Pentax is going than that store salesperson, right?
05-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi all

Rumours, rumours, rumours..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! God, this is boring. Sorry !

Best regards
Richard
05-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If Pentax is dying, why are more cameras and lenses suddenly appearing on the shelves of camera shops here, who just last year were telling me Pentax is dead / doesn't make digital products / will be gone soon.

*Here meaning New Zealand, small I know, but it's been quite heartening to see more and more camera shops picking up the SLR line, AND better yet, beginning to keep stocks of things on hand. They're clearly confident about something, and the local distributor is confident enough to buy decent amounts of stock, something they didn't appear to be doing before....

As everyone else said, I think Hoya will probably give Pentax a good couple of years before they decide whether to spin them off.
05-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I just received a A3 sized brochure in the mail, folded down of course, promoting of all things - PENTAX lenses. Unfortunately not the camera lenses I am interested in but lenses for Spectacles.

It would seem to me Hoya are promoting the Pentax brand in more ways than just cameras which hardly suggests a move to sell off the brand.
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi Falcons

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX lenses.....for Spectacles.
For as long as I can remember, Pentax have supplied the highest quality lenses to the profession of opticians, whilst maintaining a strong presence within the UK. As for elsewhere I obviously cannot comment, but this only serves to further enhance Pentax's reputation and strengthen the brand, which I assume is something to be applauded ?

Best regards
Richard
05-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Don't forget about the restructuring

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, I tried to check it out a bit and leave the findings for anybody else here:

(1) The poster at Photo.net (Lewis Hizer) registered new for the post and left this single post and a single reply, only.

(2) A wedding photographer Lewis Hizer does exist in Michigan:
--
(616) 785-7396
7520 Division Ave N
Comstock Park, MI 49321
--
Maybe a forum fellow phones him to verify the info...

(3) If true, the info relates to what a store clerk from Comstock Park has said after the shop dropped Pentax from its line, for whatever reason.

In summary, I would say that the info isn't credible in these internet days where everybody can say everything and we can savely ignore this
Pentax/Hoya and Ned talked about the restructuring of the sals
chain. Due to the fact that some sales reps are "retiring" (either voluntarily or not) and a new system is put in place a lot of disinformation is very likely. A disgrunteled rep can cause a bit of misunderstanding.
05-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
Inactive Account

BTW - Semtex is former Czech invention...
I know. And it's great you guys named an energy drink after it, too .
05-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I know. And it's great you guys named an energy drink after it, too .
right - but there were other - less explosive - inventions, we Czechs (which I am actually not) gave to the World:
For example the word "Robot" is of Czech origin.
Robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was young, they were very popular TLR cameras named FLEXARET, manufactured by Czech company Optikotechna, later Meopta.
Cameras | Meopta

And Mikroma was my favorite toy:

"Dimensions: 75x43x40 mm, weight 230 g"

Still I must admit, Semtex became far more popular.