Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I asked my son to translate the ff question in the interview (he speaks Japanese quite well) and I think there's far too much pessimism here. Although they're very vague, there's nothing they say that contradicts a CP+ announcement. And it's pretty clear it will be K-mount, so forget the mirrorless talk.

01-02-2015, 02:12 AM   #152
Pentaxian

We always will love to forget DSLR-satz, to K-mount DSLR benefit !!!

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-02-2015 at 05:19 AM.
01-02-2015, 04:00 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think there is way too much pessimism here. We know that Pentax has released good products in the past -- K3, 645z, K5 II and that the same folks are working on the next cameras that will be released. They probably have better data with regard to camera and lens sales than we do and they are going to try to target a part of the market where they can actually sell cameras -- in what is a pretty crowded market.

If they choose to go full frame, I would doubt that they would target the D610/6D segment. More likely to continue to use upper end APS-C for that segment. Designing something that is a little better specified than the D810 and at the same time sells for a little less seems the most likely option. They certainly aren't going to go after sports shooters/wildlife shooters for quite awhile in this market.
01-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #154
Veteran Member

@Aristophanes - Wow, lots of interesting stuff there. I was in a Best Buy store just before the holidays, and there was a bunch of customers looking over the new tablet and smart phone designs, HARDLY ANYONE IN THE CAMERA AISLES. Plus, membership in our camera club is down. And i got an email from a regional photography organization whining about the lack of participation from clubs such as ours. Is this all related to cultural changes - i think so - but can't prove it.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I asked my son to translate the ff question in the interview (he speaks Japanese quite well) and I think there's far too much pessimism here. Although they're very vague, there's nothing they say that contradicts a CP+ announcement. And it's pretty clear it will be K-mount, so forget the mirrorless talk.
I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera couldn't be mirrorless/EVF. I think Pentax could do a good job at it. But i'll leave the market analysis to Pentax. After reading Aristophanes analysis - i'm not sure there is going to be FF.

I've got to state that my K3 continues to be OUTSTANDING. Anyone that doesn't buy it at current prices - well - they need their head examined I had to laugh the other day when i saw that the new spec of low light focusing on the D750 is now -3 EV. Exactly where K3 has been for the last 2 years - nice of Nikon to catch up. I suspect Pentax doesn't track as well, but for static focusing in low light - I haven't been disppointed by the K3. In the same low light, my Sony Nex just gives up and walks away

01-02-2015, 02:33 PM - 4 Likes   #155
Pentaxian

It's hard to take these "Pentax should do this or that" , "Pentax doesn't know what they're doing" posts seriously. I think I keep up with threads like this for my amusement.

I'd love to get some of these folks in a room and ask some of the geniuses, 'OK where is this camera company you own that is taking advantage of all your camera industry knowledge." I mean with all the experts on here, you'd think some camera company would be just sitting in the wings waiting to snap up all these geniuses.

But then I realize it's just a bunch of folks sitting down on the porch at the local hardware, drinking hooch and blowing hot air. Good entertainment, but nothing more than that. They'll solve all the world's problems, then wake up again tomorrow and do it all over again.

I have to get me a rocking chair, a straw hat and a wheat stalk to stick in my mouth, then I'll feel right at home.

Carry on, I didn't mean to interrupt anyone's train of thought.
01-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera couldn't be mirrorless/EVF. I think Pentax could do a good job at it.
As far as I understand, a potential technical hurdle is that lenses for mirrorless cameras need very small, light focusing groups to achieve acceptable focus speed due to constraints of contrast detect autofocus systems used in mirrorless cameras.

On-sensor phase detect autofocus arrangements may mitigate the problem to some extent, but I don't think they are yet up to dedicated PDAF module performance.

If true, Pentax would still have to revamp their lens line-up.

Also, I think many here would pop a cork if Pentax produced a mirrorless camera which didn't reclaim the "wasted" space of the deleted FF mirror box.
01-02-2015, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trail's End Popcorn

Given the frequency with which I actually purchase K-mount camera bodies Pentax has 4 years to produce a FF camera before I'll have a legitimate reason to be upset.

Until then a K10D, K-01 and (unexpected gift - not purchased) K-3 will be just fine.

But I bought 2 cases of microwave popcorn from the Boy Scout Troop for CP+

BTW, did anyone notice that Mercedes Benz will have a major exhibit, keynote address and a revolutionary new product unveiling at CES?*

* Hint: It isn't FF.

01-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #158
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, but that Mercedes definitely looks FF - if we go by "normal" car = FF, SUV = medium format and the Smart = cropped
01-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I should also point out that high-end is a moving target. Just 3 years I would have said that above $2,000 for a bundle was definitely high-end, and APS-C would top out ~$1,500.

Now anything above $1,500 is definitely high-end, so the bar is moving lower.

Why?

People are putting more disposable income into mobile devices meaning less for dedicated cameras. So the "new" high end is actually dropping target. To offset this Fuji, Oly, etc. have been making sure they have a lot of new gear right at that top bar, like Fuji's whole X-series of lenses. notice how they have not gone into what is now the stratosphere of the big tells, like the 100-400s (a recent Canon release). That is where the customer base shrinks not the low 1,000s per year. As an example, I suspect the Pentax 560mm might sell a few hundred/year. That tells you a lot about the price point issue because even if Pentax went FF, they might still NOT find enough people to buy into the system to sustain development.

FF will come when the whole sensor and supporting circuitry drops into Pentax's comfort zone. I used to think it was $1,500, but now I think it may need to go low enough to make the K-3 non-economical without a larger sensor.

I do NOT think the OVF is dead by any means. It still has certain advantages.
01-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #160
Banned

Next hi end Pentax camera will have OVF and EVF together.
Only problem is their pacing, which is not reassuring. I feel devastated they keeping "medium level" cameras with little real advantage, and no features to talk about. Their value is inflated and unsubstantial, which to an enthusiast user looks like a joke.
01-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Next hi end Pentax camera will have OVF and EVF together.
Only problem is their pacing, which is not reassuring. I feel devastated they keeping "medium level" cameras with little real advantage, and no features to talk about. Their value is inflated and unsubstantial, which to an enthusiast user looks like a joke.
OK. Sure.

But what do you really think?
01-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #162
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera couldn't be mirrorless/EVF.
I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera could be.
01-03-2015, 02:35 AM   #163
Pentaxian

No reason at all? Ricoh Imaging isn't so sure, but what do they know... amateurs!
01-03-2015, 03:50 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera could be.
I don't think there is any reason that a FF K-mount camera could not be.
01-03-2015, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
(...)

People are putting more disposable income into mobile devices meaning less for dedicated cameras. So the "new" high end is actually dropping target. To offset this Fuji, Oly, etc. have been making sure they have a lot of new gear right at that top bar, like Fuji's whole X-series of lenses. notice how they have not gone into what is now the stratosphere of the big tells, like the 100-400s (a recent Canon release).

(...)
There is a Fujinon XF 140-400mm f/4-5.6 R LM OIS WR on Fujifilm's roadmap, due for release by the end of 2015. A prototype was on display at various Fuji events and for the first time at Photokina 2014.

Photo above © ePHOTOzine Fujifilm Lenses Hands-On And Roadmap