Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,534
Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR. Too many APS-C only lenses in my collection, too many in production by Pentax & aftermarket manufacturers, not nearly enough new FF optics available.

01-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #197
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR. Too many APS-C only lenses in my collection, too many in production by Pentax & aftermarket manufacturers, not nearly enough new FF optics available.
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #198
Veteran Member
Flugelbinder's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto - missing the ocean
Posts: 466
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
Some people just can't get enough...
01-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #199
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
(...)

About the FF: the fact that they're showing the K-50 successor at CES has imho increased the odds that they'll show a full frame at CP+!
They indeed have to show something more significant at CP+ than at CES. They play at home there.

01-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #200
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
TBH, they are not new...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They indeed have to show something more significant at CP+ than at CES. They play at home there.
They've only shown prototypes at CES, maybe CP+ is where the announcements will be and nothing more. Everyone thought Photokina is where the big announcements are due and look how that worked out.
01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #201
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,449
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR.
Both.
01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #202
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,449
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They indeed have to show something more significant at CP+ than at CES. They play at home there.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
They've only shown prototypes at CES, maybe CP+ is where the announcements will be and nothing more. Everyone thought Photokina is where the big announcements are due and look how that worked out.
They'll be announced when they are ready to be announced, not when the calendar rolls around to a trade show date.
01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #203
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
Again, Photokina is in Germany, not in Japan. They have to show something significant at home, more significant than the final version of a camera, tapped pre-series of which were shown no later than five weeks before.

If they only had the successor to K-50 to announce, why not wait for CP+ to do so instead of 'deflowering' it at CES?

01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,534
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
Depends on the kind and range of photography you do, and whether you are a hopeless gear head. I shamelessly confess to being the latter, but three lenses would never cover the range of photography I enjoy. As I own 12 lenses that are APS-C only, to purchase a FF K-mount body would require a lot of advancements & improvements.
01-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #205
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They'll be announced when they are ready to be announced, not when the calendar rolls around to a trade show date.
I'm pretty sure they do plan these things around the trade shows
01-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #206
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,449
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I'm pretty sure they do plan these things around the trade shows
My point is they don't rush to announce something that isn't ready just because it is February in Japan.
01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #207
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Depends on the kind and range of photography you do, and whether you are a hopeless gear head. I shamelessly confess to being the latter, but three lenses would never cover the range of photography I enjoy. As I own 12 lenses that are APS-C only, to purchase a FF K-mount body would require a lot of advancements & improvements.
I can understand. You've invested a lot of time researching and acquiring the lenses and you've also invested a lot of money buying them. Like others have said, I think using APS lenses on a FF system in auto-crop mode is viable. There would be a reduction in resolution but it still gets you up and photographing. Over time you would probably upgrade your collection of glass.
01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I can understand. You've invested a lot of time researching and acquiring the lenses and you've also invested a lot of money buying them. Like others have said, I think using APS lenses on a FF system in auto-crop mode is viable. There would be a reduction in resolution but it still gets you up and photographing. Over time you would probably upgrade your collection of glass.
Not really. I read a Nikon interview a few years ago where they said the adoption of such was very limited and that they viewed each sensor as a discrete system. I do not think Pentax consumers will accept this any more than other brand's consumers have. It seems to me a one-way street.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 10:05 PM ----------

The knock agains the big MP cameras, even the K-3, is the files sizes are so large in an age when mobile oS's are now becoming the dominant platform. The reliance of the imaging market on the user base having home PC processing power is becoming an issue. suspect that's what Fuji and Olympus are thinking as well.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

What? Canon puts black hoods on those white L lenses? ROTFL
One word: Reflection.
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #209
Pentaxian
kooks's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Josť, Costa Rica
Photos: Albums
Posts: 625
My guess is that the zoom lenses that Ricoh showed us at Photokina and CES 2015 are ready to use, meaning this lenses are not "just" prototypes.. the only thing that this lenses are waiting is the FF body announcement at CP+ so the release will be even bigger in the industry. Perhaps at CP+ they will announce the FF body and a 24-70 f2.8. Who knows, perhaps this lenses are already finished. Look at the new 18-50 that they showed at CES.. who knew about this lens?? i guess no body and is there, if they showed it with the new K50 replacement is because this camera will be sell with that lens.

Check out the case of the 16-85mm that they showed as "prototype" at Photokina 2014 and they fully released just a couple of months later.. they release this lens because they had the bodys for it to be used.. the other 2 lenses are not "under development", they are just waiting for the FF body to be announced.

So can you imagine the news for the camera global market if Pentax comes at CP+ with:

- FF body
- 70 - 200 f2.8
- 100 - 400 ( super telephoto ) perhaps f4 ?
- 24 - 70 f2.8 to sell along with the new FF body

Those are big big news... and almost everybody at the industry will talk about it.. Pentax will cover almost all range from 24mm to 400mm with a FF body.. and in the upcoming months they can start releasing some new primes, 50mm, 85mm.. 35mm ..

CP+ will be big... really big for Pentax/Ricoh if they do this move.
01-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #210
Veteran Member
Flugelbinder's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto - missing the ocean
Posts: 466
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
...The reliance of the imaging market on the user base having home PC processing power is becoming an issue. suspect that's what Fuji and Olympus are thinking as well...
So does Nikon, considering their flagship uses a 16MP sensor... An absolutely amazing 16MP sensor, is probably better put...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, camera, canon, dc, dslr, enthusiast, ff, interview, interview on dc, k10d, leica, lens, lenses, market, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography, pressure, price, ricoh, ricoh imaging interview, support, system, user, website
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interview with head of Ricoh Imaging JPT Pentax News and Rumors 53 10-06-2014 11:46 PM
Imaging Resource's interview with Ricoh Kunzite Pentax News and Rumors 141 03-21-2014 02:29 AM
An Interview with Ricoh/Pentax from Imaging Resourse unkipunki Pentax News and Rumors 2 03-15-2014 01:32 PM
Plenty of FA lenses on new Ricoh Imaging Website Uluru Pentax News and Rumors 131 08-13-2013 01:45 PM
DC Watch Interview with Q7 Designers JPT Pentax Q 18 07-25-2013 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top