Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Imaging Interview on DC Watch website

The interview with Ricoh from the January issue of Digital Camera Magazine has been posted on the DC Watch website.

In Googlish
Google Translate

12-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

Thank you for the post. It hurt my mind to read the "literal" translation of the interview, had a few ??? moments, but interesting to pick out tidbits. The wait continues and contained excitement wanes once more for concert news of future products from Pentax/Ricoh. Back to taking pictures...oh darn!!!
12-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The interview with Ricoh from the January issue of Digital Camera Magazine has been posted on the DC Watch website.

In Googlish
Google Translate
Thank for some extremely rare, but actual news in the 'News and almost entirely Rumors' thread.

From what I gather, they are sticking with the OVF for the time being, are interested in furthering bridge, advanced P+S, and waterproof cameras, and are not afraid of the smartphone eating into sales.

The rest was really confusing in that Google translation.
12-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that, could not make head nor tail of that, if someone could translate the translation, greatly appreciated. thanks

12-28-2014, 10:14 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just wonder why magazines/ppl still bother interviewing these guys. Obviously the whole corporate strategy is based off "Be as vague as possible and dont give ANY info before official announcement". Thats a fine stragegy, but it makes every single interview identical to all the ones before and also incredibly pointless to read. Instead, due to slight variation in the wording (due to the fact that it is not an actual SCRIPT being read and instead a person coming up with the words) ppl just end up jumping to the skies with assumptions of what is actually in the pipe line vs "explored" or "considered" for the future... Anyways, my 2 cents, not that anyone cares. [Rant mode off]
12-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #6

IMHO this translater seems to work better.

Free Translation and Professional Translation Services from SDL
12-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I just wonder why magazines/ppl still bother interviewing these guys. Obviously the whole corporate strategy is based off "Be as vague as possible and dont give ANY info before official announcement". Thats a fine stragegy, but it makes every single interview identical to all the ones before and also incredibly pointless to read. Instead, due to slight variation in the wording (due to the fact that it is not an actual SCRIPT being read and instead a person coming up with the words) ppl just end up jumping to the skies with assumptions of what is actually in the pipe line vs "explored" or "considered" for the future... Anyways, my 2 cents, not that anyone cares. [Rant mode off]
The bigger wonderment is why interviewers still try to press them to answer questions they obviously aren't going to answer. Full frame, mirrorless, etc are all cards held close to their chest.. they will not just say 'yes/no' on those until they are ready. So why bother asking? When they are ready for us to know, they will tell us.... no need to ask.

12-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The bigger wonderment is why interviewers still try to press them to answer questions they obviously aren't going to answer. Full frame, mirrorless, etc are all cards held close to their chest.. they will not just say 'yes/no' on those until they are ready. So why bother asking? When they are ready for us to know, they will tell us.... no need to ask.
May be they all learned from the post game interviews with Marshawn Lynch when the answers are expected to be "yes, no, and thank-you-very much" and a little smile......
Seriously, I don't expect much as most are guarded information to gain some advantage over rival companies. The fact that they are engaging in dialogue is a good thing though.

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
12-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
If your interest in reading the interview is to get a tipped off with confidential information about a future product, you're going to be disappointed. However, I still find it an interesting insight into the way the designers are thinking.

I appreciate it's difficult reading the Google Translate version. I've kind of got used to it out of necessity, so if there's a particular part you want clarified, I can try to rephrase it in plain English.
12-29-2014, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
ogl
Banned

As I understand - they have no any serious plans about FF camera, they hope to use 16-bit new technology APS-C sensors instead of FF.
They even don't understand that FF is not only signal/noise.
Mirrorless = only size.

Poor brains....
12-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't understand a thing with the translation I'm seeing.
12-29-2014, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As I understand - they have no any serious plans about FF camera, they hope to use 16-bit new technology APS-C sensors instead of FF.
They even don't understand that FF is not only signal/noise.
Yes I got that impression also. Although if you had really good signal to noise you could make up a lot by having faster lenses than normal but clearly Pentax is not heading in that direction.
12-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As I understand - they have no any serious plans about FF camera
What? The googlish of the answer to the FF question is almost impenetrable, but I read it as "We can't tell you yet when it comes, but it will definitely have K-mount".
12-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #14
Banned

After yet another very much same or repetatively similar interview with Ricoh, here is what a typical Pentax user says while watching at a collection of FA limiteds on the shelf ...

12-29-2014, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #15

What i understand is:

There is no FF in 2015, although this might be a year that helps them decide

The new lenses will be still on development in 2015

Any new lens should continue to be aligned to K mount, there is no macro for Q at this time

There are performance improvements that still would like to do, or need to do, which are higher priority over FF

Too bad, i think they do not feel ready to be able to compete with either a lower cost high performance FF better than Nikon D750 or with something like the Sony FF mirrorless but with with lower cost and better performance. I was hoping they would have the technology and compete in 2015 but it looks like they do not have it or they are not willing to risk in 2015. I think they will be missing the decisive opprtunity if they actually have the technology but they do not execute in 2015.