Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
Too bad, i think they do not feel ready to be able to compete with either a lower cost high performance FF better than Nikon D750 or with something like the Sony FF mirrorless but with with lower cost and better performance
With this, I agree; nobody is able to do it
There is no silver bullet, nothing to allow Ricoh to simultaneously: 1. close the gap to the competition, 2. offer better performance 3. at a lower price.

The automated translation is awful as usual, thankfully JPT provided a partial translation some time ago. It's nowhere near as negative

12-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

What i understand is:

There is no FF in 2015, although this might be a year that helps them decide

The new lenses will be still on development in 2015

Any new lens should continue to be aligned to K mount, there is no macro for Q at this time

There are performance improvements that still would like to do, or need to do, which are higher priority over FF

Too bad, i think they do not feel ready to be able to compete with either a lower cost high performance FF better than Nikon D750 or with something like the Sony FF mirrorless but with with lower cost and better performance. I was hoping they would have the technology and compete in 2015 but it looks like they do not have it or they are not willing to risk in 2015. I think they will be missing the decisive opprtunity if they actually have the technology but they do not execute in 2015.
In line with this thought I have to wonder if, by the time any Pentax FF camera arrives, anyone will care anymore. And if - and I repeat if - that turns out to be the case, might that put Ricoh's camera division at risk?
12-29-2014, 04:43 AM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The automated translation is awful as usual, thankfully JPT provided a partial translation some time ago. It's nowhere near as negative
I'm afraid I want to revise that a bit. Looking at it again, I think the phrase "near future" refers to development, not any announcement. A lot of Japanese companies have an "under promise and over deliver" attitude to their communications, so I think they could be a bit further on than they are willing to admit to. Perhaps we will see a camera under glass at CP+.
12-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm afraid I want to revise that a bit. Looking at it again, I think the phrase "near future" refers to development, not any announcement. A lot of Japanese companies have an "under promise and over deliver" attitude to their communications, so I think they could be a bit further on than they are willing to admit to. Perhaps we will see a camera under glass at CP+.
Yes, I've noticed Nikon also uses words like 'studying' and 'researching' when asked about possible future models, even when the camera appears two months later.

12-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see anything like ''no FF in 2015'' in this interview. OK, I knew, the ''Sony gang'' must do their job here as usual.

What I understand is that video capability is considered a must by Ricoh.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 12-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
12-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I've also noticed that if they aren't working on something they just come straight out and say so. It's when they're vague iwhen asked about future plans is when they are actually working on something so as not to give away any perceived advantage they may have over competitors.

For example their answer to a possible GR Zoom model:

Q: GR zoom lens is scheduled?
A: Some of the people who request from the fact that the product concept of GR also to be involved because it is not good idea. Specifically, at this time there are no plans.

Compare to their answer for a MILC system:

Q: APS-C size or full-size sensor for mirror-less camera Ricoh Imaging How did you do that?
A: I feel very high market potential. However, whether or not we are doing is different. I would like to level but not the level of research, but we still have.

There's that vague word 'research'.
12-29-2014, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #22

Simple translation on FF part

The interview is too long for me to translate everything. So, I show you one of them on FF.

Q: I've heard that you are on a development stage of FF. Are you going to announce next year (2015)?

A: We can't talk about it in detail for now, but we are going to develop FF so far. We will decide whether we make it into a product or not next year. You may take "on a developent stage" that it's possible for FF to come in the near future. If we get into FF, we would take much care of K mount and launch lenses.

12-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
basically i want to know if they will bring out a new K-3 II ?
12-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

What i understand is:

There is no FF in 2015, although this might be a year that helps them decide

The new lenses will be still on development in 2015

Any new lens should continue to be aligned to K mount, there is no macro for Q at this time

There are performance improvements that still would like to do, or need to do, which are higher priority over FF
Never GR with zoom lens.
12-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The Ricoh guys are more casual than the suit-and-tie Nikon and Canon people.
Attached Images

12-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
, but we are going to develop FF so far..
we had heard it many times before....

maybe someday it could be...it is very likely that....it is quite possible

we will plan to plan to develop FF in the near future....
12-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #27

The interviewer is Mikio Tanaka, a flamboyant photographer with many ties to camera makers. His twitter is interesting.

Tanaka: How would you do given the enormous presense of Canon, Nikon, and Sony in FF?

Ricoh Imaging: We have a secret plan to counter them!

Remember, Mr. Tanaka is doubtful about it.

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/549479862709137411 (in Japanese)
12-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If anything - it's quite clear from the interview that the FF camera will be a K-mount camera.

So after it has been announced, this forum won't change much, there will still be plenty of "Pentax is doomed because A7"
12-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
we had heard it many times before....

maybe someday it could be...it is very likely that....it is quite possible

we will plan to plan to develop FF in the near future....

It's good for us to know that they showed us some kind of schedule like "We will decide whether we make it into a product or not next year".

We are getting used to knowing that the schedule could also change, though.
12-29-2014, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #30
mee
Veteran Member

Strange how so many have seen something completely different and definitive from that translated interview.... it seems if one is skeptical or generally pessimistic they saw 'FF is not coming', optimists saw 'FF is coming', while I read 'FF is possible' (aka we are avoiding answering the question)