Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR. Too many APS-C only lenses in my collection, too many in production by Pentax & aftermarket manufacturers, not nearly enough new FF optics available.

01-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR. Too many APS-C only lenses in my collection, too many in production by Pentax & aftermarket manufacturers, not nearly enough new FF optics available.
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Not enough new FF lenses? All you need are four: the three FA Limiteds and a decent quality zoom. Done.
Some people just can't get enough...
01-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
(...)

About the FF: the fact that they're showing the K-50 successor at CES has imho increased the odds that they'll show a full frame at CP+!
They indeed have to show something more significant at CP+ than at CES. They play at home there.

01-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #200
Veteran Member

TBH, they are not new...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They indeed have to show something more significant at CP+ than at CES. They play at home there.
They've only shown prototypes at CES, maybe CP+ is where the announcements will be and nothing more. Everyone thought Photokina is where the big announcements are due and look how that worked out.
01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than FF, I'll take an APS-C "K4" or "K-PRO" with improved high ISO noise reduction, a tilt/swivel screen (please, please, please!!) and maybe better DR.
Both.
01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
They've only shown prototypes at CES, maybe CP+ is where the announcements will be and nothing more. Everyone thought Photokina is where the big announcements are due and look how that worked out.
They'll be announced when they are ready to be announced, not when the calendar rolls around to a trade show date.

01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Again, Photokina is in Germany, not in Japan. They have to show something significant at home, more significant than the final version of a camera, tapped pre-series of which were shown no later than five weeks before.

If they only had the successor to K-50 to announce, why not wait for CP+ to do so instead of 'deflowering' it at CES?
01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on the kind and range of photography you do, and whether you are a hopeless gear head. I shamelessly confess to being the latter, but three lenses would never cover the range of photography I enjoy. As I own 12 lenses that are APS-C only, to purchase a FF K-mount body would require a lot of advancements & improvements.
01-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They'll be announced when they are ready to be announced, not when the calendar rolls around to a trade show date.
I'm pretty sure they do plan these things around the trade shows
01-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I'm pretty sure they do plan these things around the trade shows
My point is they don't rush to announce something that isn't ready just because it is February in Japan.
01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #207
Veteran Member

Depends on the kind and range of photography you do, and whether you are a hopeless gear head. I shamelessly confess to being the latter, but three lenses would never cover the range of photography I enjoy. As I own 12 lenses that are APS-C only, to purchase a FF K-mount body would require a lot of advancements & improvements.
I can understand. You've invested a lot of time researching and acquiring the lenses and you've also invested a lot of money buying them. Like others have said, I think using APS lenses on a FF system in auto-crop mode is viable. There would be a reduction in resolution but it still gets you up and photographing. Over time you would probably upgrade your collection of glass.
01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can understand. You've invested a lot of time researching and acquiring the lenses and you've also invested a lot of money buying them. Like others have said, I think using APS lenses on a FF system in auto-crop mode is viable. There would be a reduction in resolution but it still gets you up and photographing. Over time you would probably upgrade your collection of glass.
Not really. I read a Nikon interview a few years ago where they said the adoption of such was very limited and that they viewed each sensor as a discrete system. I do not think Pentax consumers will accept this any more than other brand's consumers have. It seems to me a one-way street.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 10:05 PM ----------

The knock agains the big MP cameras, even the K-3, is the files sizes are so large in an age when mobile oS's are now becoming the dominant platform. The reliance of the imaging market on the user base having home PC processing power is becoming an issue. suspect that's what Fuji and Olympus are thinking as well.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

What? Canon puts black hoods on those white L lenses? ROTFL
One word: Reflection.
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #209
Veteran Member

My guess is that the zoom lenses that Ricoh showed us at Photokina and CES 2015 are ready to use, meaning this lenses are not "just" prototypes.. the only thing that this lenses are waiting is the FF body announcement at CP+ so the release will be even bigger in the industry. Perhaps at CP+ they will announce the FF body and a 24-70 f2.8. Who knows, perhaps this lenses are already finished. Look at the new 18-50 that they showed at CES.. who knew about this lens?? i guess no body and is there, if they showed it with the new K50 replacement is because this camera will be sell with that lens.

Check out the case of the 16-85mm that they showed as "prototype" at Photokina 2014 and they fully released just a couple of months later.. they release this lens because they had the bodys for it to be used.. the other 2 lenses are not "under development", they are just waiting for the FF body to be announced.

So can you imagine the news for the camera global market if Pentax comes at CP+ with:

- FF body
- 70 - 200 f2.8
- 100 - 400 ( super telephoto ) perhaps f4 ?
- 24 - 70 f2.8 to sell along with the new FF body

Those are big big news... and almost everybody at the industry will talk about it.. Pentax will cover almost all range from 24mm to 400mm with a FF body.. and in the upcoming months they can start releasing some new primes, 50mm, 85mm.. 35mm ..

CP+ will be big... really big for Pentax/Ricoh if they do this move.
01-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
...The reliance of the imaging market on the user base having home PC processing power is becoming an issue. suspect that's what Fuji and Olympus are thinking as well...
So does Nikon, considering their flagship uses a 16MP sensor... An absolutely amazing 16MP sensor, is probably better put...