Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #181
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Why are people so dissatisfied with the kit lens? For a first time buyer of a DSLR or someone who wants a kick-around lens this may be the perfect solution. This kit lens doesn't stop people from buying a higher grade lens like a DA 18-135 or even one of the DA* zooms.
Because it doesn't replace my DA* and Limited lenses, of course. Therefore it is trash.. I wouldn't use it if it was the last camera lens on the planet.

It seems, quite often, the response here by a few is similar to that.. comparing Cadillacs to Chevrolets then becoming upset that the Chevrolet doesn't equal the Cadillac. It is astounding.

It is a kit lens!! it is meant to be a kit lens. starter. beginner. first camera lens owned. You are supposed to use it, get used to using SLR camera with it, then upgrade to something better. Not hand it down to later generations as a prized heirloom.

01-06-2015, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Because it doesn't replace my DA* and Limited lenses, of course. Therefore it is trash.. I wouldn't use it if it was the last camera lens on the planet.

It seems, quite often, the response here by a few is similar to that.. comparing Cadillacs to Chevrolets then becoming upset that the Chevrolet doesn't equal the Cadillac. It is astounding.

It is a kit lens!! it is meant to be a kit lens. starter. beginner. first camera lens owned. You are supposed to use it, get used to using SLR camera with it, then upgrade to something better. Not hand it down to later generations as a prized heirloom.

What! You mean that M50/2.0 that I have treasured because it was handed down to me by my Father-in-Law isn't a prized heirloom!
01-06-2015, 06:27 PM - 3 Likes   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is a kit lens!! it is meant to be a kit lens. starter. beginner. first camera lens owned. You are supposed to use it, get used to using SLR camera with it, then upgrade to something better.
+1 I suspect the majority of DSLR users never buy another lens. The prevalent opinion on this forum that unless you use DA* or Limited glass your images are not worth the battery power to take may be true on this forum but it is not out in the general population. Most purchasers are looking for a decent camera to take family snaps or shots at their children's soccer game. The kit lens is perfectly adequate for that and they do not want the complexity and confusion of owning multiple lenses. So having a good quality (DC and WR and RE) kit lens is a good move. This looks like an interesting lens and perhaps the first 'new' kit lens from Pentax in a long time.
01-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Of course not, but it is encouraging that something else will be revealed at CP+. Remember that Pentax is a JAPANESE company that markets principally to the home market. Given that, the fact that CES is in Las Vegas and CP+ is in Japan, and this is not their flagship model the chances of a bigger reveal in February are very high indeed!
Agree on that... it would be very likely a higher-end model be revealed at CP+ in Japan.

01-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #185

So, anybody g to see it in person yet?
01-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are there any other images from CES besides the Scott Burnham flickr/twitter photo further up the thread?
01-06-2015, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #187

Photos: Gallery
A lens with the "Green Ring" again!

01-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #188
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What! You mean that M50/2.0 that I have treasured because it was handed down to me by my Father-in-Law isn't a prized heirloom!
Well.. it can be treasured just because it was handed down.. so for other reasons beyond optical quality.

Recently, my Dad gave me his Nikon film SLR kit. The gear in the case is probably worth around 100 dollars these days, but the memories and meaning behind handing it down to me are priceless to me. Truly. It was seeing that camera and handling it as a child that started my interested in photography!!
01-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'm going to guess that it uses the same Li-109 as the K-r/30/50/500/S1. Not sure on the AA adapter - it looks like it's big enough, though (it originated with the K-r).
Todd,
Maybe even a dealer in North Carolina finally?
01-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Todd,
Maybe even a dealer in North Carolina finally?
We can dream... we can dream...
01-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #191
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think they keep the name covered because, armed with a publicity photo and the product name, an unscrupulous retailer could start eliciting orders add whatever inflated price they are bold enough to ask for. So it's better not to give out full information until a final launch date.
01-06-2015, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photo of camera on display (linked, to give photographer the credit)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_burnham/16193620606/

I don't think it was posted already, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.
The new camera in different colors, also note the DA 21-style hood

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 10:49 PM ----------

I will definitely get the 18-50. It will be very inexpensive, especially on the second hand market and with the DC will probably focus similarly to 18-135 i.e. very well. Small size and WR are both big pluses too. I think it is a lot more exciting than 18-55 lenses, which incidentally, will probably be dirt cheap after the new 18-50 comes.

Last edited by rrstuff; 01-07-2015 at 03:09 AM.
01-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Excellent post!

I'm really surprised at how small that hood is. It must be enough to do its job.

The more I keep looking at the lens I become more and more intrigued by it. I hope it's a good performer!
01-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
CES pic:

Scott Burnham on the CES

It's WIFI and the lens is WR DC and RE (rectractable?) But not HD so pentax is still bringing out new smc lenses.
wi-fi and articulating lcd, please give it a -3ev AF!

Omg!
01-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #195
Veteran Member

I wish they made a dc we 35mm f2.4 too.