Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
So does WiFi just allow for file transfer from the camera to a device such as a computer or tablet or does it offer more features including full tethering?
WiFi allows for pretty much anything you need. If your device has the software to supports it, you can even connect to Internet and browse to your hearts content!

01-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The Market demands Wi-Fi no matter what some antiquated, grizzled old Cardinals fan thinks.
Dude.
01-07-2015, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dude.
Feel drawn?
01-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Is it only me or that built in flash looks higher than on, say, K5II?

It does look sort of "tall" in the picture relative to its width... Maybe a bigger sensor inside??

Sure would like to peal that little piece of tape off...

01-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
It does look sort of "tall" in the picture relative to its width... Maybe a bigger sensor inside??

Sure would like to peal that little piece of tape off...
I guess that's because the camera is smaller. It looks a re-shaped K-S1 with batter grip.

Will buy one with the lens when price is reasonable.
01-07-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
What I am baffled by is that implementing this is fairly cheap and easy... yet Pentax decided not to implement this up until now... :/
There is a product development model in which a new feature or technology you don't already own / haven't self-developed is introduced in steps:
  1. License the basic technology (Flucard for Pentax - Eye-Fi Menu integration)
  2. Learn and develop while implementing the licensed technology
  3. Implement the licensed technology on 'test bed', secondary platforms (Q, Q7, MX-1)
  4. Implement self-developed technology on a 'test-bed' platform (Wi-Fi on WG-30)
  5. Implement nearly finalized technology on a major product (K-xx)
  6. Continue improving future implementations of technology

If you look back at things we've asked for (Hinged LCD - MX-1, 645z - K-xx; Wi-Fi; find your own) you'll find this pattern recurring since Ricoh took over. IMHO it reflects the necessity to spread limited resources across a rich panoply of products and platforms, staying relevant while growing revenue and is part of the long term Plan to make Pentax one of the market leaders over the next 5 years.

The same type of development is happening at Ricoh Imaging America, but it is harder to see that since there aren't physical products to show in display cases.
01-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Feel drawn?
Reference
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I don't like built-in Wi-fi, I don't want to pay for it. Having it on a flu-card is Ok, like in K-3. Don't like big button for wifi, I want the video-recording button there, and I want the DOF-preview to be on the on/off-wheel again as it was on several previous bodies
Parody, a form of humor.

01-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #263
Pentaxian

ReferenceParody, a form of humor.
So is satire
01-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #264
Pentaxian

staying relevant while growing revenue and is part of the long term Plan to make Pentax one of the market leaders over the next 5 years.
and that's why i'm staying instead of hoping around the so called greener fields
01-07-2015, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #265
Veteran Member

There is a product development model in which a new feature or technology you don't already own / haven't self-developed is introduced in steps:
  1. License the basic technology (Flucard for Pentax - Eye-Fi Menu integration)
  2. Learn and develop while implementing the licensed technology
  3. Implement the licensed technology on 'test bed', secondary platforms (Q, Q7, MX-1)
  4. Implement self-developed technology on a 'test-bed' platform (Wi-Fi on WG-30)
  5. Implement nearly finalized technology on a major product (K-xx)
  6. Continue improving future implementations of technology

If you look back at things we've asked for (Hinged LCD - MX-1, 645z - K-xx; Wi-Fi; find your own) you'll find this pattern recurring since Ricoh took over. IMHO it reflects the necessity to spread limited resources across a rich panoply of products and platforms, staying relevant while growing revenue and is part of the long term Plan to make Pentax one of the market leaders over the next 5 years.

The same type of development is happening at Ricoh Imaging America, but it is harder to see that since there aren't physical products to show in display cases.
I'm aware of the steps required for a big corporation to implement something new... but implementing and adapting the WiFi technology is not that complicated actually. The hardware part is ready available for anyone pretty much (they don't have to develop their own parts and such) and software wise is a small change in their code to enable its functionality. The trickier part will be to build the security for it.
They should of never bother with the Flucard and they should of went directly for embedding the WiFi into their cameras from the beginning.
01-07-2015, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #266
Pentaxian

software wise is a small change in their code
I've heard that so many times...
01-07-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They should of never bother with the Flucard and they should of went directly for embedding the WiFi into their cameras from the beginning.
It was tethering and the Apple app (and negotiating with Apple) that took the time (per convo. with James Malcolm and the Q Users Group April, 2013). Apple is apparently a total PITA.

And please, let's not argue about why we didn't have something sooner, now that we have it.*

*The FF posts are going to be unbearable.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-07-2015 at 11:02 AM.
01-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #268
Veteran Member

How much in terms of market share does NOT offering two cameras - one with and one without - cost?
Good question, but doubtful it will happen. It's now an expected feature, they won't be releasing a model without video.
01-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Good question, but doubtful it will happen. It's now an expected feature, they won't be releasing a model without video.
Dude. sarc tag omitted.
01-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #270
Veteran Member

Dude. sarc tag omitted.
What? Oops. I sometimes have flashbacks to 2009.

Also, I heard there's a Pentax FF just around the corner, so I won't be buying this camera anyway if it's aps-c.