Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Compared to the K-3 photo a page or so back, there really isn't much of a place to put ones thumb.

01-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #452
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Compared to the K-3 photo a page or so back, there really isn't much of a place to put ones thumb.
I find the area for the right thumb on my K3 inadequate. All too often my thumb has inadvertently pressed the 4-way and changed the color balance setting, resulting in unintentional, inventively colorful renderings of ordinary subjects. Wish there were a small ridge along the upper right quarter of the 4-way to hold back the side of my right thumb, or that the 4-way were shifted a bit down and closer to the screen.
01-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #453
Pentaxian

Looks like a beast of a camera! And very good overall package. The LCD doesn't look like it was just bolted on. Looks like a good implementation! And look, it says Pentax on the back, not just Ricoh

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-11-2015 at 06:09 AM.
01-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #454
Veteran Member

I'm more interested in how large the lens on the left is. The one on the right does look like a 70-200.

01-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxopoulos Quote
Hey guys, the name of the camera is K-S2 and it's the successor of K-S1. It will be an outdoor DSLR (weather sealed etc) and it will have the same 20 MP sensor.
The k-S1 just came out recently, it can not be sequel in such a short unless the k-S1 has big flaws that a new release is imminent (as in the case recent Nikon models).

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Someone can expand, but the number 4 has bad associations in Japan. Apparently it sounds like "death". Don't know if that holds for 40...there was a Canon 40D, after all.
If it is a Sony, it will be k-55, if it is a Nikon it will be k-51, if it is a Canon, it will be k-60.
01-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #456
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
PENTAX K-30 Photo
While the AF button is in a better location... the flip-out screen is really making it cramped for space in the back! I hope that they get it a bit better by the time they release it... I would really miss the space for my thumb that I have on the K30, as well as the horn on the right outside of my thumb

Sort of looks like they are merging the KS-1 and the K50 lines, in the design. Or, rather, the K50 line is becoming more like the Ks-1 line.

While I love the new specs, me no like-y the ergonomics. Will have to wait till actually able to hold it i guess.
01-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #457
Pentaxian

The K-S1 is quite a different camera, in that it's not weather sealed. Apart from having the 20MP AA filter less sensor, it's got more in common with the K-500 model.

Yeah, after a bit of googling, the previous models have quite a large area of nothingness thumb grip/space. The K-30/K-50 also have a step up to the 4 way dials that's more pronounced than the K-3.

By contrast, the new one does look a bit pants in this respect:

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 12:52 PM ----------

Maybe they are expecting you to stick your thumb in the space where the screen folds out?
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #458
Pentaxian

I don't expect any changes to the camera's interface. That's exactly why I never pushed for articulated screens on small format cameras: space is limited and an articulated screen just needs more of it.
As the saying goes, "careful what you wish for, you might get it"

01-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #459
Pentaxian

Keen to try this new one, don't get me wrong, but doesn't that look like your thumb will sit on the playback/review button?
01-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #460
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with a tilt-swivel screen is losing the vertical space left of the screen for various buttons. A flip-up-down screen, non swiveling, can be accommodated with less relocation of physical controls. There's also a vague psychological need to have the screen centered below the viewfinder, rather than shifted to the left, with a wider left side to the camera body, to provide more room right of the screen for the various buttons and dials. BTW: a feature on my Panasonic P&S that's not on Pentax DSLRs is a knurled ring around the 4-way controller that can be assigned a variety of functions. It's tiny on the Pana, but works fine when you remember what function you've assigned to it (I generally assign f-stop). Would be an easy(?) way to get three control dials onto a DSLR.
01-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #461
Imp
Pentaxian

@richandfleur yes - but also, it seems the center circle of buttons are indented, perhaps to help avoid pressing them?
01-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #462
Veteran Member

also the wifi button location makes sense, its in a place where it wont be inadvertent hit. Im thinking that they are thinking your thumb will be near the AF button. Pentax is one of the few makers that dont restrict back button focus to high end bodies. Which I like because Im a back button focus user and would not buy a body without one.
01-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #463
Imp
Pentaxian

I just took a look at how I shoot with my Pentax K-30: the bottom of my hand is on the corner of the camera, below the raised control dial. Then my thumb is on the patterned spot for my thumb. little else of my hand in on the back of the camera, unless I am holding it one handed.

So on the new camera, I think I would be pressing the menu button frequently - but It seems like the rubber stop would keep my hand elevated enough to not press anything else. I.E. I think Pentax might have a cleverly designed rubber grip to help with the problem.
01-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #464
Pentaxian

I'm guessing the wifi button is there to ensure you know it's on. I assume it glows blue when activated.

Personally I believe a 'selfie' screen is useful for video only. I certainly don't often (read ever) use a DSLR for a selfie photo. If it is there for video reasons the I do hope the rest of the body lives up to this task.
ie real S/R in video mode, and focus peaking/highlights enabled when in video mode. Without that it's one small step for man without the giant leap part to make it useful.

In all honestly I would have preferred the 645Z tilty screen, rather than the swing out one you need whenever you want to look down on it.
That said though, if you can sink it back in the hole with the screen facing out as normal, then it's business as usual really. I'm sure it will be fine in practise.

So far the thumb grip is the only major point of interest I'd put a question mark on thus far.
Indented buttons or not, that looks kinda silly at this preliminary look stage.
The whole grip appears very boxy, so I'm keen to hear from people who have actually handled it.
Pentax normally have pretty meaty and comfortable/practical grips on them.

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I just took a look at how I shoot with my Pentax K-30: the bottom of my hand is on the corner of the camera, below the raised control dial. Then my thumb is on the patterned spot for my thumb. little else of my hand in on the back of the camera, unless I am holding it one handed.

So on the new camera, I think I would be pressing the menu button frequently - but It seems like the rubber stop would keep my hand elevated enough to not press anything else. I.E. I think Pentax might have a cleverly designed rubber grip to help with the problem.

I'll do the same tonight to compare.

If it works then it's cool. Would it be good over longer periods though is the question. If it's too small then that's a lot of pressure on one part of the thumb.
01-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #465
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
If it's too small then that's a lot of pressure on one part of the thumb.
agreed. But it's not as if it's only my thumb doing the work - the entire hand is wrapped around the grip. Only on the back I have very little of my hand, i.e. what I said above. Try it out.

Maybe... they should have made the camera a wee bit larger?? I know pentax really likes small cameras, but I think it is better to have a slightly larger camera than one with cramped controls