Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone noticed or commented on the auto-HDR option on the mode dial? Not going back through 30 pages of comments to find out, but it is a small convenient improvement over going into the info screen to select/deselect this shooting mode.

01-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Has anyone noticed or commented on the auto-HDR option on the mode dial? Not going back through 30 pages of comments to find out, but it is a small convenient improvement over going into the info screen to select/deselect this shooting mode.
I think it was an empty space on the dial after they moved video position on the On-Off switch

No, seriously, it's a good thing for those who use HDR. But of course, not anyone will be happy. And a lot of people will say that they never use HDR, so, why........
01-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #468
Imp
Pentaxian

Meh... I know I don't use it much. How many other people do? Maybe i'm the exception. For me, if I really want to use it and take a jpg, then i don't mind the rare visit to the info screen. Also, it's more clutter on the mode dial.

I can see it being nice for people who shoot primarily jpg.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
And a lot of people will say that they never use HDR, so, why........
i.e. me. =)

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

so nvm on my clutter comment, the movie mode has been removed. =)
01-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #469
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote

so nvm on my clutter comment, the movie mode has been removed. =)

As above, if you're going to make this a video orientated unit (by including the flippy roundy selfie screen and Mic input) , then does this mean that the mode dial will be equally fully functional for video mode, once I've moved the main on/off selection switch to movie mode? Taking it off the mode dial suggests it should be to me.

Also, the camera should not have an ON labelled setting if the on/off switch moves to video mode now. It should be OFF, STILLS, MOVIE now.

The one change I'd personally make is to remove the option for a floating ISO range when the camera is set to the Manual M mode position.
Presently this allows you to effectively change it into TAv mode, which is stupid given there's another stop on the mode dial for just that.

01-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
While the AF button is in a better location... the flip-out screen is really making it cramped for space in the back! I hope that they get it a bit better by the time they release it... I would really miss the space for my thumb that I have on the K30, as well as the horn on the right outside of my thumb
There could be more button/control under the display which is very common in the video camera.
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #471
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
No, seriously, it's a good thing for those who use HDR. But of course, not anyone will be happy. And a lot of people will say that they never use HDR, so, why........
Why indeed. It could have been another user mode.
01-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Why indeed. It could have been another user mode.
+1 to that

01-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Keen to try this new one, don't get me wrong, but doesn't that look like your thumb will sit on the playback/review button?
Or the AF button. A good opportunity to use back button focus.
01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #474
Pentaxian

Looks to me the buttons are cast IN the body, not sticking out of it so as to minimize the risk of pushing them by inadvertance.
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #475
Forum Member

The current Pentax offerengs do not have 5 axis stabelization like the new Olympus correct? That would be a nice feature... Though I imagine would be on the high end body first...
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #476

omG, do I see the HDMI port? Mic input, HDMI, Articulating screen... makes me wonder if Ricoh Pentax made some conclusions for improving in one sorely criticized department. Seems to be really exciting spring and summer in Ricoh Pentax camp this year... So far things seem very promising.
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #477
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
There could be more button/control under the display which is very common in the video camera.
I doubt it because most of the time users will have the screen in the flat mode, covering the buttons. That would be rather impractical
01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #478

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
omG, do I see the HDMI port? Mic input, HDMI, Articulating screen... makes me wonder if Ricoh Pentax made some conclusions for improving in one sorely criticized department. Seems to be really exciting spring and summer in Ricoh Pentax camp this year... So far things seem very promising.
Let's hope so! Pentax lenses with good video would certainly be a terrific prospect.
01-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
Let's hope so! Pentax lenses with good video would certainly be a terrific prospect.

I said it's their to lose earlier.

Actual useable sensor shift stabilisation would be the first start. Pentax has actually moved with the video times to some degree, offering 1080p at 24fps etc, always incremental increases, well behind the forerunners.
Stabilisation should be one of their hallmarks but alas Olympus does it better in smaller sensors and now Sony does it better in FF sensors.

On screen focus peaking and highlight warnings during video recording, options for higher bitrates if desired by the user, on screen visual indication of audio levels, clean hdmi output for those who want to record in much higher quality on external recorders etc. None of this is necessarily difficult and none of it is cutting edge or revolutionary, but it's required if you want to get some credibility (and customers). Sony don't offer sensor stabilisation (yet) or WR (yet) options in their APS-C Alpha 6000 type units so there may be an option to attract users if done right.

Why else would you put a mic socket and a flippy selfie screen on a stills camera?

In all honesty I expect this camera will have a lot to do with me staying or leaving Pentax when I'm ready to upgrade my K-30 in a years or so.
01-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #480
Pentaxian

Is there any reason to think it might be a touchscreen?