Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Any other manufacturer come to mind for those features?
Maybe Olympus? Sorry I'm not up with the play on all of them.
Sony, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, now Nikon - plenty of people offer touchscreen backs nowadays. I'm sure that Pentax eventually will too because Ricoh will insist on it for appropriate cameras, quite rightly in an age of mobiles and tablets. Don't like it? Turn it off so that it reverts to "classic rear LCD mode" until you need to use it for something, like touch-typing in a wifi/web address.

I rather think that the logic of a mobile-friendly touchscreen on the rear LCD points eventually towards an EVF inside the camera, however. Why? Because as more users become accustomed to using the rear screen as the method both of operating the camera and of framing the shot, which is what they've grown up with on phones, so there will be less point in packing the inside of the camera with a very nice but also rather costly and perhaps heavy pentaprism. This is a Rubicon not yet crossed, but I think it will be before long - not on every camera perhaps but the D5500 level would be an obvious place to start. The D5500 offers only a 95%-view pentamirror whereas a 100%-view EVF with focus-peaking et al would be mighty tempting for many and for Canonikon perhaps another way of stemming the advance of Sony and co. The question then to be answered is "How come a D5x00 camera offers me a fuller and more useful internal VF than the traditional optical one on the D750 which costs three times more?" Oh yes, plenty of questions in store for the traditional camera-makers.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-13-2015 at 05:58 AM.
01-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Which model? I don't remember such things.
Optio T20 if i'm not mistaken.
01-13-2015, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #498
Pentaxian

That probably had a resistive touch screen. There is a reason you don't see those any more.
01-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Optio T20 if i'm not mistaken.
At the risk of repeating myself:
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax Optio T10 / T20 / T30 from 2006-2007.

01-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #500

I don't understand the problem with a touch screen, be it on an entry level, enthusiast or professional camera. It would be a brilliant solution for navigating in menus and photos and inspecting photos instead of pushing buttons and turning wheels all the time. As for greasy finger prints, you can wipe the screen with your pants/shirt. I do that with my smartphone several times a day. For controlling the camera while shooting, of course you need buttons and knobs and wheels.
01-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I don't understand the problem with a touch screen, be it on an entry level, enthusiast or professional camera. It would be a brilliant solution for navigating in menus and photos and inspecting photos instead of pushing buttons and turning wheels all the time. As for greasy finger prints, you can wipe the screen with your pants/shirt. I do that with my smartphone several times a day. For controlling the camera while shooting, of course you need buttons and knobs and wheels.
The reason I so strongly dislike smartphones and tablets is that they're always disgusting, despite whiping them. Actually, why clean them at all? Because they get dirty again as soon as they're used.

The screen in the new unnamed Pentax camera would be pretty good for me. It can be viewed when needed, but also closed towards the camera when not needed for protection from breaking, nose prints, etc... All it now needs is an EVF so we don't even need to take our eyes away from the VF anymore.
01-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #502
Pentaxian

They are designed for holding the camera at arm's length at eye height. Or on the tripod. If you are looking through a viewfinder they are useless, and worse, you would have to turn it off to not do anything you don't want.

The only situation where it would be useful is to select focus points, similar to what the Flucard does.

Edit:

I use the phone camera regularly and find the touch screen interface to be a pain. Apple did an upgrade a few years ago to their camera app to do what? Make the hardware button a shutter. I use it because it is in my pocket, for no other reason.

Last edited by derekkite; 01-13-2015 at 07:23 AM.
01-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #503
Pentaxian

My opinion on touchscreen is the same as on WiFi and flashy LEDs; as long it can be turned of and never used, I don't mind it.
Which makes me wonder...is there a device where you can actually turn off touch interface (but not the display)?

01-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #504

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
They are designed for holding the camera at arm's length at eye height. Or on the tripod. If you are looking through a viewfinder they are useless, and worse, you would have to turn it off to not do anything you don't want.

The only situation where it would be useful is to select focus points, similar to what the Flucard does.
Like on your K-3 (at least on my K20D) I'm sure the screen will not be turned on unless you push the menu button or the review button (or if you use the live view mode), so why should a touch screen become a problem when you're looking through the viewfinder?
01-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #505
Veteran Member

Personally I have never enjoyed the touch-screen on cameras... always end up doing something by mistake that I do not want to do.
It makes even less sense on a DSLR. From my point of view, they make more sense on cell phone cameras like the "Samsung GALAXY Camera" or anything alike...

Give me buttons - actual buttons!!!!

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-13-2015 at 07:56 AM.
01-13-2015, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #506
Pentaxian

Like on your K-3 (at least on my K20D) I'm sure the screen will not be turned on unless you push the menu button or the review button (or if you use the live view mode), so why should a touch screen become a problem when you're looking through the viewfinder?
Sure, and my phone never gets dialed in my pocket, my podcast app never gets forwarded or skips something when I put it down.

The reason why it is attractive is because it is cheaper and easier to manufacture. And for a phone, it allows flexibility for running different apps.
01-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #507

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Give me buttons - actual buttons!!!!
Yes, for handling the camera, but for reviewing photos and navigating through menus, I'd like a touch screen.
01-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The reason why it is attractive is because it is cheaper and easier to manufacture. And for a phone, it allows flexibility for running different apps.
Wait, are we discussing touch screen only? Or also some sort of smart OS, like Android?

---------- Post added 13-01-15 at 16:06 ----------

Yes, for handling the camera, but for reviewing photos and navigating through menus, I'd like a touch screen.
Really?! Then your finger is in front of the pictures you're trying to review half of the time. A wheel is the ideal tool for browsing through the photos. Not to mention pinch to zoom. That doesn't work on smartphones or tablets, why would it work on a camera?
01-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #509
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, thank you.

I abhor the interface of smartphones in nearly every respect, especially the part where I need to touch the screen to make the device do something.

In photography applications I spend more time and effort looking for and at the controls - and attempting to touch only the controls I want to interact with - than I actually spend looking at the image. And the result is NEVER what it looked like in preview (IOW, on the large 'EVF display').
01-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #510

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wait, are we discussing touch screen only? Or also some sort of smart OS, like Android?
I'm not discussing any OS. Just a way to navigate through menus/photos and reviewing photos. If that requires Android or iOS, that's OK by me.

QuoteQuote:
Really?! Then your finger is in front of the pictures you're trying to review half of the time.
I've never had that problem when reviewing photos on my smartphone, so why should it be a problem on the camera?

QuoteQuote:
Not to mention pinch to zoom. That doesn't work on smartphones or tablets, why would it work on a camera?
Pinch to zoom works as a breeze on my phone (Motorola Moto G). Is that a common problem?