Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I'm not discussing any OS. Just a way to navigate through menus/photos and reviewing photos. If that requires Android or iOS, that's OK by me.

I've never had that problem when reviewing photos on my smartphone, so why should it be a problem on the camera?

Pinch to zoom works as a breeze on my phone (Motorola Moto G). Is that a common problem?
You forget that your phone has a bigger screen size than that 3" camera LCD... and not everyone has small fingers. Some of us have "sausages" instead... and some even have long fingernails (thinking of the ladies)...

If it works for you without issues, doesn't mean the rest of the world is tailored the same.

01-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #512
Pentaxian

Pinch to zoom. You'd have the right hand on the grip, let's say a heavy-ish lens supported with your left - how would you pinch to zoom?
It just doesn't work.
01-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pinch to zoom. You'd have the right hand on the grip, let's say a heavy-ish lens supported with your left - how would you pinch to zoom?
It just doesn't work.

I see myself switching the camera from my right hand to my left, holding it by the lens, just to pinch to zoom with my right. That's horror.

But again, there is currently a whole generation that is growing up with touch screens. They are going to want touch screens.
01-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But again, there is currently a whole generation that is growing up with touch screens. They are going to want touch screens.
They are growing up without viewfinders as well. Should we do away with those because they don't use them?

01-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #515

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Should we do away with those because they don't use them?
When was the last time you bought a telephone with a dial on it?
01-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can still buy those if you want to... companies are still making them.
There is such a thing as people with disabilities... a touch screen will just not work for them.
01-13-2015, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #517
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's a way to do with touch screen almost perfectly if:

1. Touch can be deactivated which means touch is something more, not a way to remove e.g. buttons.

2. Have an eye detector so when you look into the vf, it shuts down the screen.

That would be workable IMO.

01-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Last month on eBay. Christmas present.

A pristine Harvest Gold AT&T original dial desk phone. It hasn't even been converted to the universal plug - I hard-wired it.* Now my daughter's credenza is as cool as an Upper East Side townhouse in Architectural Digest (and she doesn't have to deal with Comcast for telephony any more).

* She still has a copper land line that accepts pulse dialing.
01-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I am 45 ... :-)
01-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #520
Veteran Member

Touch screens, hmm... if used to replace buttons and dials, they're a disaster. If not, they're just a way to fill the screen with greasy fingerprints, making it harder to see.
How long did it take for your mobile phone to become unusable?
01-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I hardly use the smartphone features other than to receive emails my employer won't permit, and text messages. Otherwise the apps that would use a touch screen are functionally useless to me on a phone. I have a matched bluetooth keyboard for my tablet, so touch screen in place of a mouse is actually a retrogression.
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
So it's either "everything's fine" or "can't see at all"?
I'm wiping the screen quite a few times daily; perhaps the oleophobic coating is not one of the most efficient. But, if you suggest that I'm the only one with such issues...

A touchscreen interface is not always the best approach. I cannot work on my PC using a touchscreen, for example.
01-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it's either "everything's fine" or "can't see at all"?
I'm wiping the screen quite a few times daily; perhaps the oleophobic coating is not one of the most efficient. But, if you suggest that I'm the only one with such issues...

A touchscreen interface is not always the best approach. I cannot work on my PC using a touchscreen, for example.
Maybe Ricoh will be the "first" DSLR camera maker to include a pull out pen like my Samsung Note 4...

Trying to picture holding my Tamron 70-210 F2.8 with a 1.4x on that little thing with no battery grip while using the pen on a touch screen.

Eric
01-13-2015, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #524
Veteran Member

It just doesn't work.
Use your lips. The new Pentax Ki5s, worlds first kissable camera*.

*don't ask what the tongue controls
01-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Use your lips. The new Pentax Ki5s, worlds first kissable camera*.

*don't ask what the tongue controls
I doubt anyone will buy second hand cameras anymore if that would be the case.
Even as a joke it just sound wrong...

Can you imagine going in a store to try out a new camera and waiting your turn behind a dude!?