Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #601
Pentaxian

Sheesh, I wish CP+ arrive sooner or better yet, happening now to end this touchscreen frenzy.

01-15-2015, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #602
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok, flucar-ish solution to the touch-screen debate: Not everybody wants or needs WIFI in the camera, so they came up with the flucard option for the people that do. Added advantage is that you can upgrade the WIFI hardware seperately this way. Now extend it to touch screen operation. Leave the back LCD without touch screen, instead increase the level of wireless tethering to any smartphone, tablet or computer. Being able to browse and review the captured pictures instantly and flawlessly, without hassle. But also being able to edit camera settings, having the menu on the phone. That way, anybody that doesn't require it, doesn't have to use it and doesn't have pay for it either. And the people that do are happy as wel. With the added benifit of being able to upgrade or configure that touch screen display to their own wishes. Heck, if I can review everything on my big smartphone screen, for all I care, the back LCD can be scrapped completely.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-15-2015 at 04:10 AM.
01-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #603
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There must be an app for the phone if they have built wifi in. I should go and check the app stores...

Surely not browser based like the flu card. Make the app good and you achieve what you have described above :-)

Once again though a touch screen you can opt to turn off the touch should suit most. They don't cost much so it's not like the endless moan of its adding to the cost, like wifi etc

Adding gps would have given astrotracing to all, as the software is in a out cameras firmware anyway. That would have been a killer feature at a low price point for sure.
01-15-2015, 03:21 AM   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Once again though a touch screen you can opt to turn off the touch should suit most. They don't cost much so it's not like the endless moan of its adding to the cost, like wifi etc...
Like buying an SUV only for commuting to work and back. Yes I can opt to not use the built in shower, toilet, kitchen, living space and bike storage. But my normal serves this purpose a lot better, more efficient, more comfortable and cheaper.

My smartphone already is a perfect "jack of all trades/master of none." I want my camera to be a master of image capturing, unhindered by secondary functions.

01-15-2015, 03:22 AM   #605
Forum Member

Would they put astrotracer in a mid price Dslr or save it for an updated k3 range though?
01-15-2015, 03:55 AM   #606
Pentaxian

If touchscreens sell cameras and end up pretty well as part of the minimum spec on cameras in a certain segment of the market, then they'll end up on the appropriate Pentax cameras. It's as simple as that. Pentax sell cameras and so they need cameras that sell. We've been here before with tilt-swivel screens (and with wifi and NFC). At first there was much harrumphing about TS screens not being for serious photographers, they would compromise build integrity and WR and so forth. Wifi was only for nerds, Pentax could not afford to implement it, etc. Now we have TS screens, wifi and NFC on Pentax cameras. Once more: Pentax sell cameras and so they need cameras that sell. The market drives what Pentax can sell and increasingly that's likely to be a market of (we hope) younger folks in Japan and Asia. It would be good, though, if instead of waiting until towards the end of these innovations, and thus losing custom along the way, Pentax got out there and kept up with the curve (I'm looking at you, K-S1). Next up, at a guess: top-quality apps for mobile. That's a great opportunity for Ricoh and I hope they take it - together with their new innovation, a Pentax Q with wifi and flip-over screen and a Pentax-branded selfie stick (integrated remote control and choice of colours) in the same bubble pack

That said, I'm not expecting touchscreens at CP+ (or hidden ones at CES). If Pentax were that far into them, I'd have expected one on the KS-1. Maybe on something in the second half of next year. Who knows. We have no idea really.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-15-2015 at 06:39 AM.
01-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #607
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Like buying an SUV only for commuting to work and back. Yes I can opt to not use the built in shower, toilet, kitchen, living space and bike storage. But my normal serves this purpose a lot better, more efficient, more comfortable and cheaper.

My smartphone already is a perfect "jack of all trades/master of none." I want my camera to be a master of image capturing, unhindered by secondary functions.
Are you taking this a bit too far? Your argument is adding features makes image capturing worse as if a headphone jack can make your pictures out of focus or something like that.
01-15-2015, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They should do away with SR. In all cases, this can be achieved better with a tripod and gimbal, I'm tired of paying for it.

And irises in the lenses. Waterhouse stops are superior in every way, because they are truly circular, not some complicated approximation thereof. I don't want to pay for a mechanical iris either.

01-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #609
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
They should do away with SR. In all cases, this can be achieved better with a tripod and gimbal, I'm tired of paying for it.
I couldn't agree less. I love to take spontaneous shots that are impossible to shoot without SR and where there's no time to mount the camera on a tripod (and for this type of occasional shooting I usually don't bring a tripod anyway).

Example: I had almost no time to set up this shot before the subjects were gone. And a long shutter time was essential for the mood I wanted to create:

01-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The new GoPro Hero4 Silver has a built in touch screen. It's tiny, like postage stamp size and it works really well. For interests sake only...
Hey, the K-3 replacement could have touch screen capability on the top LCD. People here would really lose it.
01-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #611
Veteran Member

I want an mp3 player built in my camera so I can bang my head on tunes while taking awesome sauce pictures .
Radio FM will be another great idea. Keep in touch with the news while strolling trough the park and take pictures of butterflies.
01-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
If touchscreens sell cameras and end up pretty well as part of the minimum spec on cameras in a certain segment of the market, then they'll end up on the appropriate Pentax cameras. It's as simple as that. Pentax sell cameras and so they need cameras that sell. We've been here before with tilt-swivel screens (and with wifi and NFC). At first there was much harrumphing about TS screens not being for serious photographers, they would compromise build integrity and WR and so forth. Wifi was only for nerds, Pentax could not afford to implement it, etc. Now we have TS screens, wifi and NFC on Pentax cameras. Once more: Pentax sell cameras and so they need cameras that sell. The market drives what Pentax can sell and increasingly that's likely to be a market of (we hope) younger folks in Japan and Asia. It would be good, though, if instead of waiting until towards the end of these innovations, and thus losing custom along the way, Pentax got out there and kept up with the curve (I'm looking at you, K-S1). Next up, at a guess: top-quality apps for mobile. That's a great opportunity for Ricoh and I hope they take it.

That said, I'm not expecting touchscreens at CP+ (or hidden ones at CES). If Pentax were that far into them, I'd have expected one on the KS-1. Maybe on something in the second half of next year. Who knows. We have no idea really.
I guess it comes down to the fact that everything you learn about photography on your phone needs to be relearned if you shoot with a dslr with a lens longer than a wide angle. When you hold a phone to take a shot your primary goal is to not touch the screen, and not get your finger in the way. The touch screen makes it harder to take a shot. We put up with it because it is a phone, browser etc. and in our pocket.

If you have any substantial lens, you need to hold the body firmly. A touch screen requires you to let go. I can take a shot, with my left thumb turn on the viewer, scroll and magnify with my index finger or thumb of my right hand without releasing a solid grip on the body.

I have a Samsung phone and despise it's camera, and would not even look at a samsung camera with a touch screen interface.
01-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #613
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I couldn't agree less. I love to take spontaneous shots that are impossible to shoot without SR and where there's no time to mount the camera on a tripod (and for this type of occasional shooting I usually don't bring a tripod anyway).

Example: I had almost no time to set up this shot before the subjects were gone. And a long shutter time was essential for the mood I wanted to create:

I think he was joking.
01-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Hey, the K-3 replacement could have touch screen capability on the top LCD. People here would really lose it.
I had to set up a security lockout on my phone because of the dozens of black screen shots that were being promulgated onto every other machine that I own because the damn touchscreen didn't know the difference between my finger and my pocket.

I take hundreds of shots every week with both my DSLR and my phone. If the DSLR gets to resemble my phone it won't be purchased by me. As a way of capturing photos it is awful. I use it because it is in my pocket. If I have anything requiring any quality I bring my DSLR.

The only time I would consider a touchscreen is for focus selection in live view. Any touchscreen on a camera that requires action to disable it when I put my eye to the viewfinder would not get my money.
01-15-2015, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Any touchscreen on a camera that requires action to disable it when I put my eye to the viewfinder would not get my money.
But.. you can focus so quick on your subjects by just using your nose!
Is like having 3 hands at once!