Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #706
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 823
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have to agree with you on that one. Even if they don't have the WR/HD/SMC parts worked out the actual optical characteristics are pretty tough to change mid-stream and they ought to be able to say it's a 100-400/5.6 lens and we are still working on other aspects of the configuration. Pentax has been more evasive about what they have in the pipeline than any other company whose products I own, and it wears thin frankly.
I am with you. I do not care if it is a 70-200 or a 80-200 as long as I know it is a 2.8 lens and if it is FF then there is hope for an FF camera to follow up shortly.

I hate to switch systems again. I switched from Canon last year mostly for sentimental reasons. Although the K3 and my FA limiteds are a fantastic combo. But when it comes to fast focusing fast zooms Pentax is falling way short of the other guys. Hopefully this new lens is faster in focusing speed because the 60-250 I tried the other day is not gonna cut it for fast action pro work... focusing speed is way too slow.


Last edited by btnapa; 01-17-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
01-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #707
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,952
I don't agree, first do you know many photo labels that publicly show their lenses roadmaps, other than Pentax Sony and Fuji ?
Second, showing mock-ups is not a new practice for Pentax, so the impatients should already have turned their feet further.
01-17-2015, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #708
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't agree, first do you know many photo labels that publicly show their lenses roadmaps, other than Pentax Sony and Fuji ?
Second, showing mock-ups is not a new practice for Pentax, so the impatients should already have turned their feet further.
Well, perhaps but when other companies a) already have the lenses in their lineup, b) introduce additional ones regularly - often several at a time, and 3) 3rd party lens makers bring every one of their lenses out in that mount it would behoove Pentax to make a greater effort to a) fill the gaps and b) keep their loyal customer base better informed.
01-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #709
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,429
Well, Osborne Computer Corporation definitely kept their loyal customer base better informed

01-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #710
Senior Member
harrisonww's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I know. I attended WPPI 2014 in late February. The 645Z was there, under glass with no markings on it. So was the 28-45 lens.

Given that people want a reason to stay with Pentax, I am surprised that Ricoh/Pentax is playing cat and mouse game with people. It is a dangerous game. Once people leave they usually do not come back. So tell us what the damn lenses are instead of playing games.
No kidding. either its a 70-200 2.8 sports lens or im leaving for canon.
01-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #711
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,009
QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
No kidding. either its a 70-200 2.8 sports lens or im leaving for canon.
The reality is if sports shooting is a high priority for you then you should have left for Canon already. They've been honing their gear for years and there's little chance that Pentax will catch or surpass them on the first try.
01-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #712
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 823
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The reality is if sports shooting is a high priority for you then you should have left for Canon already. They've been honing their gear for years and there's little chance that Pentax will catch or surpass them on the first try.
You gotta point there with Canon and also true with Nikon. However, there is no excuse for slow focusing lenses especially if they are commanding top dollar.

I think this thread opens up some interesting questions for me. With all its shortcomings, then what is a Pentax system geared for. I know there are a lot of die-hard Pentaxians out there (myself included) who have a nostalgic attachment to the brand. But as someone who shot weddings for a while (with Canon), Pentax has too many holes in its system for some areas of pro work. I then pose the question to Pentax powers to be; "Where can Pentax stake a claim as being the best." Yes the 645Z is the king of the MF cameras in the bang-for-the-buck department. But what about the bulk of the business which is DSLRs.

I hate to admit it but unless Pentax has a major upset up their sleeve, the base is going to erode and the winner oddly enough is going to be Sony. Not Nikon or Canon or the other guys!

I am hoping that if Pentax is true to its long history and heritage, then they are about to turn the game on its head, once again, as they have done throughout photographic history. Let's hope.
01-17-2015, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #713
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Pentax is Doomed!

01-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #714
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,009
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pentax is Doomed!
LOL, not doomed by a long shot but people gotta maintain some reasonable expectations here. The K-mount platform, as it exists today, is perfectly capable for personal use capturing youth sports and other events. And because lenses like the DA* 50-135 F2.8 are optimized for APS-C they are much smaller than the classic FF 70-200 F2.8. I've had plenty of fun and success using Pentax for capturing life's moments.

But if I was being paid to be a pro sports photog and expected to nail that Super Bowl catch in the end zone, I'm not risking a paycheck and my reputation with Pentax.
01-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #715
Senior Member
drugal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Detroit suburbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 257
I think Pentax can stake a claim to have the best aps-c lineup (as in coverage of classic focal lengths) and IMHO the most photographer centric UI.

I really like the limited lenses and I think the combination of small size and high quality is what keeps me shooting Pentax. Also, other than focus breathing, I don't think my DA* 60-250 could fill my needs any better.
01-17-2015, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #716
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,290
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I hate to admit it but unless Pentax has a major upset up their sleeve, the base is going to erode and the winner oddly enough is going to be Sony. Not Nikon or Canon or the other guys! I am hoping that if Pentax is true to its long history and heritage, then they are about to turn the game on its head, once again, as they have done throughout photographic history. Let's hope.
If you are waiting for Pentax to return to it's glory days and be "best" at anything you should move on. It just is not going to happen. Photography is a very mature industry and the only innovations are going to be at the sensor level which automatically leaves Pentax out. That area goes to electronic giants like Sony and Samsung.

They will continue to be a #3 or 4 or 5 player and produce nice gear that lots of people will take lots of nice pictures with. If you cannot be satisfied with that and have to be with the 'best' then it's time to look at other brands.

Canon and Nikon are far to entrenched in the sports and wedding industries for Pentax to ever come close. The only area they have a chance to be a market leader in is medium format and they do seem to be giving that a good try.

But they do not have to be best, just produce good gear that people buy and they can make money on.
01-18-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #717
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,914
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you are waiting for Pentax to return to it's glory days and be "best" at anything you should move on. It just is not going to happen. Photography is a very mature industry and the only innovations are going to be at the sensor level which automatically leaves Pentax out. That area goes to electronic giants like Sony and Samsung.

They will continue to be a #3 or 4 or 5 player and produce nice gear that lots of people will take lots of nice pictures with. If you cannot be satisfied with that and have to be with the 'best' then it's time to look at other brands.

Canon and Nikon are far to entrenched in the sports and wedding industries for Pentax to ever come close. The only area they have a chance to be a market leader in is medium format and they do seem to be giving that a good try.

But they do not have to be best, just produce good gear that people buy and they can make money on.
One could argue that the real innovations to come will be at the software level, not the sensor level. That still favours outfits with big R&D departments but takes us a little beyond the traditional camera companies. In future years, there might not be enough buyers of pure, traditional cameras to go round; there barely are now.
01-18-2015, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #718
Senior Member
maleek's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Karlstad, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 216
It does strike me that Pentax has several good things going for it, one thing which is certain: you can get pretty much the best build quality, including weather sealing, for the least amount of money in the industry. They have created a sweet spot for people like me. The K5 and later, K3 - are in this respect, top notch.
01-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #719
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pentax is Doomed!
The world is doomed
01-18-2015, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #720
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,622
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The world is doomed
It doesn't matter. The world is a hologram.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bodies, body, button, camera, cameras, ces, da, diaphragm, dslr, engineers, flu, k-3, lens, light, macro, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plastic, power, release, ricoh, sdm, watches, wi-fi, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh's Booth at CP+ 2015 Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 80 02-10-2015 04:37 AM
Pentax / Ricoh Full Frame at CES ClinchShots Pentax Full Frame 44 01-01-2015 02:44 PM
Pentax at CES i83N Photographic Industry and Professionals 38 01-10-2014 10:34 AM
Where is the Pentax news from CES 2010? KungPOW Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-19-2010 11:31 AM
Pentax at Jan 7th 2010 CES ? Samsungian Pentax News and Rumors 34 01-08-2010 03:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top