Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #856
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
But that's the thing, Retro cameras didn't need batteries, so they didn't have big chunky grips. Nowadays people rubbish anything not having a DSLR grip as being uncomfortable, but people survived for years with heavy rectangular metal boxes, often with killer sharp edges, with heavy solid manual focus lenses etc.

I'd like a retro camera actually if I'm honest. I miss the experience that came with the historical film cameras, the weight, the cold metal, the smell of the leather bag, the manual focussing and the massive bright optical viewfinders and cool focussing screens. I'd be up for that again, but I wouldn't want a plastic modern version of an older retro camera.

So yeah, do it right and it will be cool, as it's mostly about the interface I reckon. Put a DSLR grip on it and it's now some form of crappy retro hybrid and you might as well go full DSLR styles as a K-3FF.

Rich - It really depends on the era you are talking about... some "grips" were just full of batteries in the later film days because by then the motors were built into the body, but earlier, many housed the auto film advance motor on pro camera's and also give the vertical shutter release, extra tripod socket, etc etc. as well as a better hold with heavy pro lenses.

Once again, the only reason I brought up the idea about Ricoh releasing a "retro" camera right off the bat instead of a souped up K-3 was for laughs because no one has said it wouldn't be.

The only thing that has been confirmed by those "in the know" so far is that it will be a DSLR, it won't be EVF only, will have an OVF, and be FF and have Pentax's uniqueness.

So... I guess I was just stirring the pot because I follow the Nikon forums still (was a Nikon user back in my paid days) and I see all the discontent over the DF retro camera. That's all... I'm not predicting or asking for it, just saying it hasn't been ruled out yet.

My smart money is still on a souped up K-3 style FF, because they already have used the same tech in the 645z, and the K-3 platform is very robust and could handle the extra data throughput, etc, and would prolly just have a slightly bigger OVF bulge, maybe a little larger over all size frame dimension, etc.

Eric

01-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #857

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I'd like a retro camera actually if I'm honest. I miss the experience that came with the historical film cameras, the weight, the cold metal, the smell of the leather bag, the manual focussing and the massive bright optical viewfinders and cool focussing screens. I'd be up for that again, but I wouldn't want a plastic modern version of an older retro camera.
Hey I can prolly arrange that. We're clearing out the FiL's attic of ancient camera gear - easily a dozen cameras, a dozen flash guns, some electronic but quite a number of the old type taking bulbs, some of those "cubes" that contained four flash bulbs, any amount of old film, some unexposed (Pan-F with a develop date of 1966 anybody?), some unused (still in original packing) glass plates used for mounting slides, even a magic lantern, a quite heavy Weston Master II Universal Exposure Meter in a nice leather carrying case ...

And of course a commensurate amount of developing enlarging gear to go with it. It'll take quite a while to go through all this and see what is junk and what might fetch a bob or two on ebay.
01-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Rich - It really depends on the era you are talking about... some "grips" were just full of batteries in the later film days because by then the motors were built into the body, but earlier, many housed the auto film advance motor on pro camera's and also give the vertical shutter release, extra tripod socket, etc etc. as well as a better hold with heavy pro lenses.

Once again, the only reason I brought up the idea about Ricoh releasing a "retro" camera right off the bat instead of a souped up K-3 was for laughs because no one has said it wouldn't be.

The only thing that has been confirmed by those "in the know" so far is that it will be a DSLR, it won't be EVF only, will have an OVF, and be FF and have Pentax's uniqueness.

So... I guess I was just stirring the pot because I follow the Nikon forums still (was a Nikon user back in my paid days) and I see all the discontent over the DF retro camera. That's all... I'm not predicting or asking for it, just saying it hasn't been ruled out yet.

My smart money is still on a souped up K-3 style FF, because they already have used the same tech in the 645z, and the K-3 platform is very robust and could handle the extra data throughput, etc, and would prolly just have a slightly bigger OVF bulge, maybe a little larger over all size frame dimension, etc.

Eric

Well, "for laughs" I'm hoping for the new full frame to be metal, retroish... and say Spotmatic D on it for "digital"... ;-)
I know..... not a chance but since we're dreaming.... ;-)
01-29-2015, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Well, "for laughs" I'm hoping for the new full frame to be metal, retroish... and say Spotmatic D on it for "digital"... ;-)
I know..... not a chance but since we're dreaming.... ;-)
Spotmatic D? Let's wish for an LX-D.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 02:56 PM ----------

This thread and others concerning a FF Pentax confirm the science dictum: "always base the most revolutionary theory where there is the least possible evidence." Holds for UFO, ancient aliens, Sasquatch and Holy Grail enthusiasts, has all the verisimilitude of Tarot card predictions.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.
01-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #860
Pentaxian

Shoebox camera D
01-29-2015, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a waste-level Ricoh Rollei with 2.25 inch square 100mp sensor, interchangeable Zeiss Planar normal lens, live-view EVF instead of second lens with mirror or mirror box? So long as we're speculating on rumors built on hearsay from tertiary sources of dubious reliability. Second thought, it would be too similar to a 645.
01-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #862
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Spotmatic D? Let's wish for an LX-D.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 02:56 PM ----------

This thread and others concerning a FF Pentax confirm the science dictum: "always base the most revolutionary theory where there is the least possible evidence." Holds for UFO, ancient aliens, Sasquatch and Holy Grail enthusiasts, has all the verisimilitude of Tarot card predictions.

oooh... I could sure go for that in digital!!

http://www.aohc.it/_old/cameras/lx02.jpg

01-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #863
Veteran Member

I want a ME-Super Digital, it still feels like a solid chunk of metal in my hands.
01-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #864
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A retro style 24-36 mpx, with the size of the actual ME and a battery grip for it to look mean. One unit for FF lovers and one for us APS-C users. I like to dream.
01-30-2015, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #865
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
A retro style 24-36 mpx, with the size of the actual ME and a battery grip for it to look mean. One unit for FF lovers and one for us APS-C users. I like to dream.
24-36 mpx is so 2014! In 2015 you need at least 50.6 Mpx
01-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #866
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just want a simple camera, even a rehash of a K3, as K3II or K3IIs, but with bundled kit lens of 16-50 f/1.2 WR and as thin as a DA 21, around 100grams, when collapsed. Too much?
01-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #867
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I just want a simple camera, even a rehash of a K3, as K3II or K3IIs, but with bundled kit lens of 16-50 f/1.2 WR and as thin as a DA 21, around 100grams, when collapsed. Too much?
No, too little!
01-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #868
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
24-36 mpx is so 2014! In 2015 you need at least 50.6 Mpx
As I understand it, that number of 50MP comes from using the same tech available for 24MP APS-C, but on the wafer with 135 format sensors dies?
So practically, the pathetic "FF revolution" means getting the second best tech after 2+ years of wait, when the cost has made it possible all thanks to 100,000s of crop cameras sold before that. Switch fully to FF wafers, and the whole serious imaging industry (not smartphone joke industry) goes down like the Titanic because a) the cost skyrockets and b) people don't give a damn for a chunky FF capable camera when a modern 1/1.7 sensor camera like the MX-1 delivers same or better quality image than 35mm film on an average 5x7 or 8x10.
01-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #869
Pentaxian

+ Pentax never will endanger its 645 line with equal or aproaching 35mm resolutions.
01-30-2015, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #870
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
+ Pentax never will endanger its 645 line with equal or aproaching 35mm resolutions.
I agree but resolutions arent what it should be about. Larger and smaller sensor sizes each have different characteristics. DOF and low light ability (for a given resolution) change for example.

Pentax needs to push the strengths of each, as presently FF is considered the top/holy grail to canikon customers.

Anything zoomage is going to be expensive on FF and MF, whereas anything wide or narrow DOF/fast is expensive on apps-c.

Resolutions are all very similar now between the sizes. Nokia did a 40mp phone camera didn't they? It's not about the MP race.