Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #106
Veteran Member

I like the design of this new Pentax DSLR. Sort of a shrinked and trimmed K-3, not as curvy as the K-50. I might get this one as a replacement for my K-10 and K-x... New kit-lens with (hopefully) DC-motor looks promising. Thumbs up from me!

01-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #107
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The left hand side of that Pentax body is really, really small. The body looks like an extension of the Pentax corporate concept of "we make small-form cameras." It's little more than a lens with a right-hand grip attached.
It might just be that "small" is the role they have for APS-C when their big cameras become full frame. Anyway, it does look really quite small. I hope they have fitted the larger battery in there somehow.

Is anyone at CES to get a view of the back or the other side?
01-06-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #109
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new kit is LONG AWAITED lens. tilting LCD too.

but, it's hard to understand - why they make so many slow mediocre zooms?

01-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #110

Does anyone know anything about the new bodies?
01-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The left hand side of that Pentax body is really, really small. The body looks like an extension of the Pentax corporate concept of "we make small-form cameras." It's little more than a lens with a right-hand grip attached.
Barely looks any smaller on that side than my K-5II...maybe just by a few mm.

If what asahi man says about the DC motor is true, that's pretty cool. Looks quite minimalist for a lens with a built-in motor, though. But some of those mirrorless lenses are pretty small too.
01-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

If that is to be the replacement for the current kit lens, then I would not expect it to be very fast in order to keep costs low enough.

01-06-2015, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yo are killing me now...
La petite mort...

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-06-2015 at 01:16 PM.
01-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #114
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Barely looks any smaller on that side than my K-5II...maybe just by a few mm.

If what asahi man says about the DC motor is true, that's pretty cool. Looks quite minimalist for a lens with a built-in motor, though. But some of those mirrorless lenses are pretty small too.
I thought that too at first, but all mirrorless lenses that have autofocus at all have a motor in them and Pentax makes the smallest of them all, the 01 Prime for the Q.

I only hope the build quality of the lens inspires confidence and especially that the collapsing mechanism feels strong. I also hope it will have HD rather than SMC coating. I think the last new lens they introduced without HD was the DA50 1.8, which is a couple of years in the past now.
01-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #115
Pentaxian

You're saying that making this new lens is both bad and good?

Probably they want to "fix" whatever could impede on attracting newcomers (entry and mid-level); and let's not forget they are also working on high-end lenses (which should be more difficult, and more important to get right).
01-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Very nice indeed! This could very well be Ricoh's mid-tier Pentax APS offering. Has anyone started guessing the specs? Will it have a 24 MP sensor with 12-bit RAW output? Maybe 14-bit here and 16-bit for some kind of pro level system? As a K-30 owner I may be tempted with this offering. Let's hope we get to see the back of the body soon.

Oh ... just noticed the AF switch doesnt include AF-C? Uh-oh...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes - I'd hate to lose the brilliant Pentax AF-C abilities ;-)
01-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
If that is to be the replacement for the current kit lens, then I would not expect it to be very fast in order to keep costs low enough.
Also Pentax clearly considers size a major consideration in its lens plans (unlike say Sigma). I have been wondering for a few years now why, in keeping with this consideration, they did not make a collapsable kit lens like a couple of other manufactures (which would make them much more size competitive again against m4/3 and mirror-less APS-C).
01-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes - I'd hate to lose the brilliant Pentax AF-C abilities ;-)
Owch.
01-06-2015, 07:54 AM - 6 Likes   #119
Veteran Member

Good question. Some possible answers:

Option 1: A mix-up in marketing when they were taking the photos. The new camera was supposed to be paired with the new large diameter zoom as their entry-level kit offering. The collapsable zoom was designed to be mounted on the 645-Z with special adapter.

Option 2: It's mediocre? I hadn't realized DPReview got their copy yet.

Option 3: Ricoh realizes an important contingent of the Pentax user community are those whose only pleasure in life is moaning about new product releases. They had to give them something.

Option 4: They wanted to capitalize on a DSLR/lens form factor that was small and didn't cost as much as a car.

01-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Also Pentax clearly considers size a major consideration in its lens plans (unlike say Sigma). I have been wondering for a few years now why, in keeping with this consideration, they did not make a collapsable kit lens like a couple of other manufactures (which would make them much more size competitive again against m4/3 and mirror-less APS-C).
True, that as well.