Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Why are people so dissatisfied with the kit lens?

NFMsNFA
mentality. Not For Me so Not For Anybody.

01-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Perhaps we complained about the video start/stop (including shutter release acting like one) button's position so much, that they decided to put such a button in every conceivable position
01-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Why are people so dissatisfied with the kit lens? For a first time buyer of a DSLR or someone who wants a kick-around lens this may be the perfect solution. This kit lens doesn't stop people from buying a higher grade lens like a DA 18-135 or even one of the DA* zooms.
I am interested in seeing how this lens performs and what it provides for the new DSLR users. I guess I am not excited since I am looking for lenses that fill gaps in my line up or make improvements over lenses I already own.
01-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I am interested in seeing how this lens performs and what it provides for the new DSLR users. I guess I am not excited since I am looking for lenses that fill gaps in my line up or make improvements over lenses I already own.
You would be the perfect shopper for a body-only kit, then.

01-06-2015, 01:08 PM - 4 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

The new kit-lens is exactly conforming to an absolute compacity requirement.
It is vital for K-mount to show that both bodies and all-around lenses are compact, and comparable to the mirrorless flood.
01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It is vital for K-mount to show that both bodies and all-around lenses are compact, and comparable to the mirrorless flood.
Completely agree.

And by the way, I guess I'd be considered an "enthusiast" photographer, but I'm certainly interested in this lens regardless of "kit" status.

I'm just assuming along with everyone else that it is not a premium lens, based on its spartan appearance and pairing with a mid/entry level body. So if it is a "kit" level lens, then I can't see it costing more than say $300 at launch before it would bump up against the 18-135, 17-70, etc.

Haha, so IF I'm at all on target with this pure speculation, I can definitely see myself getting one of these. North of $300 though, it had better have some special sauce. South of $200, instabuy!
01-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Completely agree.

And by the way, I guess I'd be considered an "enthusiast" photographer, but I'm certainly interested in this lens regardless of "kit" status.

I'm just assuming along with everyone else that it is not a premium lens, based on its spartan appearance and pairing with a mid/entry level body. So if it is a "kit" level lens, then I can't see it costing more than say $300 at launch before it would bump up against the 18-135, 17-70, etc.

Haha, so IF I'm at all on target with this pure speculation, I can definitely see myself getting one of these. North of $300 though, it had better have some special sauce. South of $200, instabuy!
If is a kit lens... is a Pentax kit lens... there won't be any special sauce other than the collapsible feature.
Will probably sell for $450 at the beginnings... because collapsible

01-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One also wonders what the cost/benefit analysis of shipping weight versus manufacturing cost is? A lens that is say 4 ounces lighter, and reduces over-all exterior packaging dimensions, to ship across the world versus putting in an extra $3.89 in manufacturing costs...heh heh.

Joking aside, Pancake lenses have been part of Pentax's kitch since the original 40mm film pancake, so as far as I am concerned they are just continuing the tradition.

I see this as a VERY good sign that Ricoh "gets it", as far as what Pentax is all about and is giving a nod to the Pentax way.

To me, as an old Pentax user from way back, when I thought of Pentax as a brand, it used to mean:

Extremely high value for the money compared to the competition
Extremely reliable and wide weather tolerances.
Compact SLR & Lens design
Innovative and superior lens coatings
Advanced lens optics design & materials
Bright and large viewfinders
Well thought out ergonomics

I've always thought that those features made Pentax especially appealing to the Advanced Amature and that they had their target SLR user market just right, you know, the type of person who was out there actually taking pics, and wanted the best quality equipment bang for the buck to get the job done, this is the type who actually shows their friends their images, not their camera equipment and surely this isn't the type of person who cares about the biggest name they could afford on the front of their camera so he looked cool to all their buds.

I also understand the need to "evolve or die", and am OK with the marketing going on with the colors, LED's etc, but to be honest, I'd rather Pentax/Ricoh stick to their roots and not get caught up in the features race. For the most part, so far so good I say for Ricoh, I have no complaints, only a small wish list, heh heh.
Eric
01-06-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
CES pic:

Scott Burnham on the CES

It's WIFI and the lens is WR DC and RE (rectractable?) But not HD so pentax is still bringing out new smc lenses.
01-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Yes indeed... It's still a big package though...
01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
CES pic:

Scott Burnham on the CES

It's WIFI and the lens is WR DC and RE (rectractable?) But not HD so pentax is still bringing out new smc lenses.
Thanks. Looks even more reminiscent of the K-01 from the top IMHO. DC + WR sounds nice. Glad its not SDM, that's a relief!
01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
CES pic:

Scott Burnham on the CES

DC? WR? My price estimate just went up, lol!

Surprised about the smc, thought that was going away.

Love the wifi!
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Perhaps smc is somewhat cheaper than HD?
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #149
Veteran Member

WR and DC is a nice surprise. Looks like it's about the size of the DA 50 1.8. Has a bayonet hood, which I'll be is about the size of the whole lens body rofl.

Movie recording mode is similar to the KS-1, on the power dial.
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #150
Banned

wi-fi!