Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 02:54 AM   #211
Forum Member

Looking at the 18-50 the filter size has returned to the old universal Pentax size of 58mm and the front element looks large in comparison to the 18-55 I wonder is it full frame !!!!!, would work nice on FF and apsc, the fact its only DC drive worries me as this may indicate a SDM/DC only flag ship body.

01-07-2015, 03:00 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's interesting that the lens is designated DAL and not DA.
Plastic mount, I guess?
01-07-2015, 03:06 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's WIFI and the lens is WR DC and RE (rectractable?) But not HD so pentax is still bringing out new smc lenses.
That's a HUGE button for WiFi. Seems K-3 gonna get an upgrade this year, then, or else this mid-range cam gonna be like the the K-x vs. the K-7 before...
anyway, things look generally positive for Pentax this CES. If this is a sign of better things to come, I think many Pentaxian pockets will be at war with their budgets this year!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Third picture, same author.
is it just me or does the top plate resemble something like brushed aluminum, compared to the rest of the body?
01-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Plastic mount, I guess?
Plastic mount, no quick shift, no scale distance, optional lens hood.

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
(...)

is it just me or does the top plate resemble something like brushed aluminum, compared to the rest of the body?
It's glossy and looks like metal but could be plastic too.

Look also at the top of the white body:

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-07-2015 at 03:22 AM.
01-07-2015, 03:27 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Looking at the 18-50 the filter size has returned to the old universal Pentax size of 58mm and the front element looks large in comparison to the 18-55 I wonder is it full frame !!!!!, would work nice on FF and apsc, the fact its only DC drive worries me as this may indicate a SDM/DC only flag ship body.
Hard to see where you're coming from...

It's a collapsible DA L kit zoom. Nothing says "FF" about it. And I don't know what tea leaves you're reading to surmise that Pentax will drop screw-drive AF on their next top model.
01-07-2015, 03:30 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Look also at the top of the white body:

Is it only me or that built in flash looks higher than on, say, K5II?
01-07-2015, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Looking at the 18-50 (...) the fact its only DC drive worries me as this may indicate a SDM/DC only flag ship body.
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
(...)
I don't know what tea leaves you're reading to surmise that Pentax will drop screw-drive AF on their next top model.
I would say that the best way to get rid of the screw-driven AF on entry-level bodies is to first offer kit zooms with built-in AF motor.

Then, you are in a position to maintain the screw-driven AF and associated costs on your high-end bodies only, for enthusiasts to keep on using their legacy lenses.

This is exactly what Nikon have done (but does not imply that Ricoh will follow the same path).

01-07-2015, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoah. It has the DA 21 hood. That's pretty damn sexy.
01-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #219
Veteran Member

This is the first DA L-lens with WR. Quite interesting development.. I don't like built-in Wi-fi, I don't want to pay for it. Having it on a flu-card is Ok, like in K-3. Don't like big button for wifi, I want the video-recording button there, and I want the DOF-preview to be on the on/off-wheel again as it was on several previous bodies. It's very useful with a digital preview function...
01-07-2015, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #220
Pentaxian

I hope it has an option for a battery grip. It would really look like a mean machine if it has one.
01-07-2015, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
This is the first DA L-lens with WR. Quite interesting development.. I don't like built-in Wi-fi, I don't want to pay for it.
"I don't like 4G on my Samsung phone. I don't want to pay for it."
"I don't like the multi-function steering wheel on that new car. I don't want to pay for it."

Just don't use it. The added cost of a FluCard is MUCH higher than having it built into the body, especially when the costs can be shared across models (the K-3 successor, the upcoming FF...). Watch the App Store/Play Store for a new Pentax WiFi remote control app
01-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the first DA L-lens with WR.
The 18-55 and 50-200 DA L's were made with WR.

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 06:53 AM ----------

I would say that the best way to get rid of the screw-driven AF on entry-level bodies is to first offer kit zooms with built-in AF motor.

Then, you are in a position to maintain the screw-driven AF and associated costs on your high-end bodies only, for enthusiasts to keep on using their legacy lenses.

This is exactly what Nikon have done (but does not imply that Ricoh will follow the same path).
Very true.
01-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #223
Pentaxian

This is the first DA L-lens with WR. (...)
Is it?

01-07-2015, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

In the same line of thinking: the upcoming FF model SHOULD have the M-series diaphragm simulator built into the body. So that the body not only accepts all K-mount lenses ever made (apart from those darn Rikenon-P's) but light metering will also be fully functional (as on the first K-series film cameras) when using them.
01-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
In the same line of thinking: the upcoming FF model SHOULD have the M-series diaphragm simulator built into the body. So that the body not only accepts all K-mount lenses ever made (apart from those darn Rikenon-P's) but light metering will also be fully functional (as on the first K-series film cameras) when using them.

About as likely as Nikon bringing back the metering pin.

Really though, I can't think of any reason the shutter button and green button couldn't be combined into one action.