Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #301
Veteran Member

The Kit looks sexy.... 15/35/18-50WR/50/50-200WR for a lightweight setup....

01-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice camera.
Yeah, looks pretty nice, but too bulky, and it needs some yellow rubber and LEDs on the grip.

I'm holding out for something bigger.
Shouldn't the next Q be due this fall?
01-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #303
Pentaxian

There is a product development model in which a new feature or technology you don't already own / haven't self-developed is introduced in steps:
  1. License the basic technology (Flucard for Pentax - Eye-Fi Menu integration)
  2. Learn and develop while implementing the licensed technology
  3. Implement the licensed technology on 'test bed', secondary platforms (Q, Q7, MX-1)
  4. Implement self-developed technology on a 'test-bed' platform (Wi-Fi on WG-30)
  5. Implement nearly finalized technology on a major product (K-xx)
  6. Continue improving future implementations of technology

If you look back at things we've asked for (Hinged LCD - MX-1, 645z - K-xx; Wi-Fi; find your own) you'll find this pattern recurring since Ricoh took over. IMHO it reflects the necessity to spread limited resources across a rich panoply of products and platforms, staying relevant while growing revenue and is part of the long term Plan to make Pentax one of the market leaders over the next 5 years.

The same type of development is happening at Ricoh Imaging America, but it is harder to see that since there aren't physical products to show in display cases.
Bravo.

01-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #304
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Wi-fi

Putting WI-FI in the camera isn't free. Cameramakers have to pay for this future. I guess that putting WI-FI in the camera is cheaper then the rescently free of charge FluCards you can get with camera's like the K-3 and K-S1. It's about $ and not technology.

01-07-2015, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Putting WI-FI in the camera isn't free. Cameramakers have to pay for this future. I guess that putting WI-FI in the camera is cheaper then the rescently free of charge FluCards you can get with camera's like the K-3 and K-S1. It's about $ and not technology.
It's also an engineering issue. When small size is your mantra and the entire interior of the camera is already jammed full of electronics, and especially when you insist on using a lot of metal in the frames and shells of your cameras (reducing the possible locations for the Wi-Fi antenna) -
  • Where do you put the antenna?
  • Where do you put whatever you moved to put the antenna there?
  • Where do you put whatever you moved to put whatever you moved wherever you moved it?
  • and so on -
In that situation the FluCard for Pentax was actually a decent Quick'nDirty solution.
01-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #306
Forum Member

I like the looks of it excet for that carbon fiber top plate. Things like NFC add very little cost... just check out how much NFC tags cost... but are cool features. For the US market, if Ricoh wants Pentax to grow they need to be in brick & mortar stores... Where I live I have 0 options to see a Pentax and would go with Canon or Nikon if I wasn't such a researcher. Most people don't research like I do. I hope they get this model in some local stores... Sam's, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target... anything
01-07-2015, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #307
Veteran Member

Conjecture: The carbon fiber looking top plate is the WiFi antenna in disguise, cleverly solving internal space problems. It falling off is not a bug, but a feature allowing you to re-position it for better reception.

01-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's also an engineering issue. When small size is your mantra and the entire interior of the camera is already jammed full of electronics, and especially when you insist on using a lot of metal in the frames and shells of your cameras (reducing the possible locations for the Wi-Fi antenna) -
  • Where do you put the antenna?
  • Where do you put whatever you moved to put the antenna there?
  • Where do you put whatever you moved to put whatever you moved wherever you moved it?
  • and so on -
In that situation the FluCard for Pentax was actually a decent Quick'nDirty solution.
Plus power requirements. Pentax engineers seem to favor shot count over power consuming additional features.
01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Plus power requirements. Pentax engineers seem to favor shot count over power consuming additional features.
As long as it can be turned off & never used, I'm fine with them adding it.
01-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Wow, looks great! After all this time agitating for an articulated LCD, I wish it were just up/down like the MX-1, 645Z, X5... Mainly I just want a digital WLF! .
Me too! I've grown quite used to the vertical articulation of the LCD on my Sony. At any rate, this looks like an excellent path forward in every way except apparently one... full frame.
01-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #311
Veteran Member

Still no back shots of this camera ... !?
01-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The Flu Cards were an extra $20 with the K-3 kits FYI. I happen to like the idea of the Flu card because it's hardware can be upgraded with a new tech, where in-camera wifi an only have its firmware upgraded.

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Thank you Pentax Engineers.

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
As long as it can be turned off & never used, I'm fine with them adding it.
Excellent point.
01-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Still no back shots of this camera ... !?
Yeah frustrating isn't it, - would answer a few more questions.
01-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #314
JPT
Pentaxian

I've thought the flucard was a poor solution from the start. It doesn't make sense to package Wi-Fi with storage. Why should you lose you Wi-Fi capability when you change the memory card?

I have a $600 smartphone and a camera that costs around the same. If a simple and cheap component can give me more value from both devices, I want that. In fact I might save money by not having to buy an IR remote.

On the subject of cost, should I object to the cost of the mic input in my K-01, which I've never used? Or should someone with 20:20 vision object to the diopter adjustment in DSLR viewfinder? Ricoh, like all manufacturers, has to make some generalisations about what most people want.

Finally, they already made the remote application, so it makes sense to leverage that as much as possible. I only hope that the application gets better and better with future updates.
01-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #315

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've thought the flucard was a poor solution from the start. It doesn't make sense to package Wi-Fi with storage. Why should you lose you Wi-Fi capability when you change the memory card?
What's wrong with that? I can put a Flu-Card into my K10D and have some Wi-Fi capability. How else could it be done? Some USB dongle that uses the tethering capabilities of the K10D? What about cameras that don't have tethering? With the cover open there goes the WR. So what if the Wi-Fi capability goes when I change the memory card if the camera never had it in the first place.

By putting Wi-Fi on the storage card you can have a universal lowest common denominator function of being able to transfer files to another Wi-Fi device and not have to worry about what brand and model camera the card is being used in.