Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I doubt anyone will buy second hand cameras anymore if that would be the case.
Even as a joke it just sound wrong...
So wrong it came out the other side and is right again?

I predict replaceable screen protectors will skyrocket in popularity. Stock up now!

01-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
So wrong it came out the other side and is right again?

I predict replaceable screen protectors will skyrocket in popularity. Stock up now!
You screen protector will kill the whole point of a touch screen...
01-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #528
Veteran Member

There are touch capable screen protectors for smartphones. I guess they're thin enough that the screen still feels everything.
01-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #529
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't on my iPhone.

01-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #530
Pentaxian

There are touch capable screen protectors for smartphones. I guess they're thin enough that the screen still feels everything.
Like a condom, you mean?
01-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Doesn't on my iPhone.
You mean those thin layers of plastic?
Those are not screen protectors... those are more of a scratch/dirt protector than anything .

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Like a condom, you mean?
Oh great... a new line up of products... condoms for your camera.
At the store: "I would love to purchase that camera if you get me a good deal on 200 condoms please."

I think this thread is start to derail in a dangerous territory...
01-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #532
Pentaxian

(...)

At the store: "I would love to purchase that camera if you get me a good deal on 200 condoms please."

(...)
Yes, so that the screen is protected and still feels everything.

01-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #533
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean those thin layers of plastic?
Those are not screen protectors... those are more of a scratch/dirt protector than anything .

I think this thread is start to derail in a dangerous territory...
I have a genuine screen protector on my iPhone. Its not ACMAXX thick but its not cellophane either.
01-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have a genuine screen protector on my iPhone. Its not ACMAXX thick but its not cellophane either.
But is soft and not a hard shell as the acmaxx... is it?
01-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #535
Pentaxian

I think screen protectors for iPhones are of topic
01-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #536
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How is a touchscreen suddenly any more brittle/vulnerable than the screen you already have on the back of your cameras?
Sigh, it's all the same, no need to scaremonger.

Thin plastic film self adheres to a touchscreen, allowing full touch control but preventing scratches.
I have something similar on my current rear LCD K-30 screen.

Likewise the flippy / tilty screen. If you want you can leave it set into the body like the current range of fixed LCD screens. You don't have to take it out.
Heck if you're really worried about your screen, then you now have the option (I expect) of flipping it around completely so the hard plastic sticks out instead, which by comparison with everything is an epic screen protector.

Older touchscreens were resistive types, which required quite firm presses, and couldn't register dragging motions or multiple simultaneous contacts very well.
Newer capacitive touchscreen types mean quick swipes and pinch to zoom motions are possible, and this makes them much nicer that previous offerings.
Capacitive tech doesn't work so well when it's really cold though, so the safest way to implement touchscreens would be to make it optional, ensuring there were still button controls for most features also.

As before, I think pinch to zoom and dragging the image around would be pretty handy for checking and reaffirming focus points, over exposure etc.
No point in going touch just for touch sake, but I think things like focussing during video could be handy, in the right circumstance.
As with everything it will be interesting to see what Pentax does with the technology, but at this stage my gut feeling is that it won't be a touchscreen, but we shall see.

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I said it's their to lose earlier.

Actual useable sensor shift stabilisation would be the first start. Pentax has actually moved with the video times to some degree, offering 1080p at 24fps etc, always incremental increases, well behind the forerunners.
Stabilisation should be one of their hallmarks but alas Olympus does it better in smaller sensors and now Sony does it better in FF sensors.

On screen focus peaking and highlight warnings during video recording, options for higher bitrates if desired by the user, on screen visual indication of audio levels, clean hdmi output for those who want to record in much higher quality on external recorders etc. None of this is necessarily difficult and none of it is cutting edge or revolutionary, but it's required if you want to get some credibility (and customers). Sony don't offer sensor stabilisation (yet) or WR (yet) options in their APS-C Alpha 6000 type units so there may be an option to attract users if done right.

Why else would you put a mic socket and a flippy selfie screen on a stills camera?

Interesting to read that Samsung are releasing a free firmware update to their camera that addressed much of the above.
The frustrating part is that Pentax could have done the same for the K-30 and up, and could do it tomorrow if they actually wanted to.

Most of the issues are software related, so it does make me wonder about the ongoing support and retrospective feature upgrades from Pentax/Ricoh.
I say this as an existing customer who will no doubt be seriously looking at this new Pentax DSLR, so there's a customer retention aspect here, but from a new customer perspective I wonder what the value proposition/questions would be?
- What sort of on-going support and future benefits am I going to get from Pentax. I haven't seen anything like this from Pentax, other than to make their older products compatible with new lenses/1.4 teleconverter etc.

One of the other features added was the ability to reprogram the wifi button to something else, which I hope Pentax allow given it's a big button in a quite prominent position on the grip?
Samsung promises extensive NX1 improvements with firmware v1.2: Digital Photography Review
01-13-2015, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #537
Veteran Member

Guys, the problem is not that cellphones/tablets have touch screens. The problem is that they got rid of the buttons.

I love being able to use the touch screen on my videocamera for selecting my subject, for focus/exposure -- better to have a smudge on the screen, then the image out of focus. However, I hate the fact that Sony decided that I must use the touch screen for accessing every other function as well!

Some consumer electronics companies are well known for crappy interfaces, but if Ricoh knows what they are doing, then they would have a touch-screen in addition to real buttons.

Anyhow, I doubt this thing has a touch screen, only for the fact that we have spent several pages discussing it, much like the cooling fins on the K-30, and the nuclear reactor / supersonic AF motor/ pneumatic mirror buffer that is disguised as a headphone jack on the K-3.
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #538
Veteran Member

How is a touchscreen suddenly any more brittle/vulnerable than the screen you already have on the back of your cameras?
Sigh, it's all the same, no need to scaremonger.
Who said a touchscreen was more vulnerable and is participating in scaremongering? I think a screen protector was first brought up by someone being juvenile and pretty far from serious.
01-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #539
Veteran Member

How is a touchscreen suddenly any more brittle/vulnerable than the screen you already have on the back of your cameras? Sigh, it's all the same, no need to scaremonger. Thin plastic film self adheres to a touchscreen, allowing full touch control but preventing scratches. I have something similar on my current rear LCD K-30 screen.
Nobody said anything about touch screen being brittle/vulnerable. You need to re-read that juvenile and off-topic discussion.
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
They are growing up without viewfinders as well. Should we do away with those because they don't use them?
We shouldn't, but I'm afraid that's exactly what could happen if they don't grow up with viewfinders.