Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Guys, the problem is not that cellphones/tablets have touch screens. The problem is that they got rid of the buttons.
Exactly. I think people are talking past each other here. Nobody is saying Pentax should look like the Samsung Galaxy NX.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000028ae9/51ea/Samsung-Galaxy-NX-product-shot-11.jpg

That thing makes me just want to chuck it in a lake thinking about the touch-only interface!

But for certain things, it would be a great OPTION to the hard buttons:
  • selecting multiple photos to edit/delete
  • touch to focus
  • menu maneuvering
  • pinch to zoom

And yes, it must be fully defeatable and have redundant hard controls. And an eye-level sensor.

This, at least, is what I mean when I say I want a touch screen.

01-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
We shouldn't, but I'm afraid that's exactly what could happen if they don't grow up with viewfinders.
Viewfinders aren't going anywhere, but optical ones...
01-13-2015, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #543
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The new camera has a touchscreen, PentaxIsDooomed™

The new camera doesn't have a touchscreen, PentaxIsDooomed™
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #544
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
That thing makes me just want to chuck it in a lake thinking about the touch-only interface!

But for certain things, it would be a great OPTION to the hard buttons
My twenty-something daughter has worn out several cell phone keyboards before their two-years were finished. Last month she had to buy a new iPhone because the touch-screen no longer detected touches on certain areas. I guess each technology has its limits.

01-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My twenty-something daughter has worn out several cell phone keyboards before their two-years were finished. Last month she had to buy a new iPhone because the touch-screen no longer detected touches on certain areas. I guess each technology has its limits.
And as we all know, buttons can fall off, too.
01-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #546
Imp
Pentaxian

This is what B and H says under their entry for Pentax CES 2015:

"In the same manner that there would be an entry-level, middle-tier and advanced camera, the black camera on display at the front of the showcase featured a more complex-looking control array and a swing-out swiveling LCD, marking it as possibly a more advanced model. We were told that all feature APS-C-sized sensors and built-in Wi-Fi, and one gentleman at the booth hinted that they may incorporate an advanced and innovative image-stabilization system."

whaaat?
01-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Viewfinders aren't going anywhere, but optical ones...
but optical ones rule. Just thought I'd finish the sentence as I'm sure you would have meant

01-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
they may incorporate an advanced and innovative image-stabilization system.

Fingers crossed this means S/R that actually works in video...
01-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #549
Imp
Pentaxian

next step - wait for CP+!
01-14-2015, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #550
Veteran Member

Ok lets see.. This model the "unnamed K" is going to compete side by side with the new Nikon D5500 that IS IN FACT ( 100% confirmed ) a camera with a touch screen.. Do you guys see that Nikon got rid of the buttons?? no.. so why Pentax should?? all the buttons could ( and should ) be there but just with the advantage that if somebody wants to use the touchscreen they can use it.. nothing complicated there.

This is a side by side image of the Nikon D5300 vs D5500 .. all buttons are there.. everything is there.. just that the D5500 have a touchscreen..

01-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #551

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Do you guys see that Nikon got rid of the buttons?? no.. so why Pentax should?? all the buttons could ( and should ) be there but just with the advantage that if somebody wants to use the touchscreen they can use it..
Since the LCD screen can be folded with the screen side in it wouldn't make much sense to get rid of the buttons. Unless of course the camera cannot be operated with the screen in. And what do you do if the LCD screen is turned off in the menu?
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Since the LCD screen can be folded with the screen side in it wouldn't make much sense to get rid of the buttons. Unless of course the camera cannot be operated with the screen in. And what do you do if the LCD screen is turned off in the menu?
I guess that you can turn it back on pressing a button.. same as we do it now when we dont want the display to be turn on.. nothing complicated there.
01-14-2015, 02:18 AM   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Guys, the problem is not that cellphones/tablets have touch screens. The problem is that they got rid of the buttons.
Yes, best phone I ever had still is the HTC TYTNII. It had a touch screen, but could slide out a keyboard underneath it. It also had a little pen that. I never had to touch the screen with my fingers at all.
01-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #554

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Flu Cards were an extra $20 with the K-3 kits FYI. I happen to like the idea of the Flu card because it's hardware can be upgraded with a new tech, where in-camera wifi an only have its firmware upgraded.
I'm interested in Wi-Fi spec of the new camera. If it is still 802.11n and the new Flucard will support 802.11ac, I'm happy to have K-3.
01-14-2015, 04:23 AM   #555
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care if anything has a touch screen so long as I can still get a flagship Pentax camera that doesn't require me to use it for anything. Same as EVF - have at it as long as I can get a flagship Pentax camera that has an OVF.