Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #571
Veteran Member

All I would want in a photo camera if I would have the choice to build my own camera is this:

With a nice FF sensor on it.
No back screen, no video mode, nothing else! Just controls for aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance...

One can only dream...

01-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a rikenon lens but for the font on the name ring.
01-14-2015, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Looks like a rikenon lens but for the font on the name ring.
Actually is a Sears lens. The Pentax lens was in pieces at that time - I took it apart to clean the dust inside of it.
01-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #574
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
All I would want in a photo camera if I would have the choice to build my own camera is this:

With a nice FF sensor on it.
No back screen, no video mode, nothing else! Just controls for aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance...

One can only dream...
The problem would be that almost no one would buy it and it would likely cost as much or more to not have the other features in it. People have gotten used to having the bells and whistles.

01-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #575
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The problem would be that almost no one would buy it and it would likely cost as much or more to not have the other features in it. People have gotten used to having the bells and whistles.
Sadly, yes... that's why is nothing but a dream ...
01-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #576
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm all in favor of adding as much capability as the manufacturer can squeeze into the camera so long as they allow me to choose whether I want to use it. I might have a use for Wi-Fi for remote camera control on a tripod. I doubt I'd use it to post to Instagram, for instance. My post above referred to the 'inevitability' of the touch screen LCD and the EVF.*

So, humorous aside (at least I think it is humorous) --

I was an English Major writing proposals for my undergraduate thesis and my advisor kept pushing me to write something related to Whitman. I had proposed to write a comparative on Ahab and Hamlet. Finally, in frustration, I asked, "Why in hell do I have to write about Whitman?" He replied, "It's a Rite of Passage. If you're going to teach Americanists at the college level you must first make your peace with Whitman."

I never made my peace with Whitman, and I doubt I'll ever make my peace with the Electronic Viewfinder. I can navigate menus and select focus points (or focus and recompose) with buttons just fine - I don't need Touch Screen technology to do those things. Likewise, so long as Pentax continues to offer its flagship camera body (even a version of its flagship camera body) with an OVF - I'll be happy - but . . ..

I suspect if industry economics compel me to accept what I consider an inferior technology (EVF) or never buy another camera - I'll do something else with my free time.
Haha... that's a great story. Free markets *usually* produce products we want so if no one wants an EVF then I doubt we'll be forced to use one. Sony learned the lesson that touch screens can only augment and not replace physical controls. Heck, it was such a disaster that they chose not to call the successor models by the name "NEX". I can't imagine Ricoh will make the same mistake. At least I hope they don't.
01-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outside of the 'cool' factor can anyone toss out some actual reasons for having a touch screen on a DSLR? Serious question, I don't see anything that could not be done better with buttons but I'm open to someone educating me.

01-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Outside of the 'cool' factor can anyone toss out some actual reasons for having a touch screen on a DSLR? Serious question, I don't see anything that could not be done better with buttons but I'm open to someone educating me.
Personally I cannot think of any kind of serious reason...
When you look trough that VF, composing and thinking of light and all that, I like to do the changes on the fly (by feeling the buttons on the camera and pressing them)... without the need to remove my eye, start touching the screen, look again, change some more... look again... more change... look again.... I think it will get very extremely annoying and tiresome after a while...
01-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #579
Veteran Member

Probably focusing in LV. Also, menu operation could be faster. Instead of scrolling up and down, you just select the item by touch.
01-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #580
Site Supporter

I can see using a touchscreen for selecting a focus point. I do it on my Galaxy S5 at times for a quick shot.
01-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #581
Veteran Member

Creating any number of custom functions could be another use of the screen.
01-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #582
Pentaxian

There is a lot that can be done very good with a intuitive touch GUI.
But one of the best things IMO would be using touch interface for viewing images, scrolling images, selecting a point where to zoom, moving around in zoomed images could be done much better with a touch interface.

Every time I haven't used my DSLR for a while, I always struggle using the primitive interface when viewing images.
01-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #583
Pentaxian

Operating menus, reviewing photos and picking focus points when using live view. Other than that you need buttons and dials/wheels.
01-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #584
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Obviously a touch screen is not for shooting through an OVF. It's for menu's liveview/video. Swiping pics to your phone. In camera post processing.
01-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #585

Outside of the 'cool' factor can anyone toss out some actual reasons for having a touch screen on a DSLR?
No, because it's not a 'cool' factor, it's a 'stupid' factor.