Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #691
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Originally posted by VoiceOfReason
I think it all comes down to production capacity. People wouldn't want to see them take down production capacity on a more full featured camera if it is selling well to do what would essentially be a bespoke camera.
I wouldn't want it either but that is of concern if and only if current factories are at full capacity already. Otherwise it may be even be a good way to fill capacity: make more money.
A very interesting point. I wouldn't be all that surprised if in due course one or more big camera-makers do offer bespoke cameras much like Apple and iPads/MacBooks or other outfits and laptops, etc. If any of the big outfits start moving towards web sales, because the B&M network is just too run-down or too costly to keep going, then the logic points towards production lines which can do bespoke. It all depends on the scale, I suppose. Ricoh already have this in a small way with colour-coding your camera since a bespoke colour combo can be ordered at least in Japan, I think, but the principle could be extended an awful lot further. Same shell but with a range of sensors, buffers, AF modules and so forth which are graded up in price and all the rest. Want the WR body with the optical instead of electronic viewfinder but don't need the pricey 96-point AF module? We can do that for you ...

01-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #692
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
No, I don't want to get into argument about what Pentax should do or not do because I don't know. But your assumption that Pentax should make articulating screen for high end FF/APS-C models just because 1) other brands have, 2) easier for you (as enthusiasts) want convenience, sounds very like much like personal preference which is perfectly fine. Most professionals, and event photographers don't use Liveview as much and therefore don't care too much nor want to pay for articulating screen. Again, I am not against entry-level models having that feature which is aimed at people like yourself (sorry, I can only based on what you used it for).
I'm not saying what they should or should not do - my point is that both should be OPTIONS. Again you are assuming just because most pros don't use live view and therefore don't care for articulated screen (an unqualified statement btw), doesn't mean that they are also against having these *OPTIONS* available.

20 years ago none of this is even possible, heck 10 years ago none of this is possible. I've used pros and have seen plenty of them with their face on the ground squished against a camera to get a quick shot of something low to the ground. Hoping to get the right shot. If you like to do that - great - more power to you - 10 years ago this is the only way to do it without additional gear. Well, not any more - flip out the screen, use live view, touch screen focus, focus peaking, easy zooming. Be more comfortable, be more productive! Make the technology work for you.

Not all pros use all the options - in fact most pros only use a very specific set of features as they care more about having an efficient post workflow than anything else. However I don't know any pros who would be against having more options at their disposal. They'd rather having more options at their disposal and choose which one they want to use than not having any options at all. that's my point.
01-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #693
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yassarian Quote
I'm not saying what they should or should not do - my point is that both should be OPTIONS. Again you are assuming just because most pros don't use live view and therefore don't care for articulated screen (an unqualified statement btw), doesn't mean that they are also against having these *OPTIONS* available.

20 years ago none of this is even possible, heck 10 years ago none of this is possible. I've used pros and have seen plenty of them with their face on the ground squished against a camera to get a quick shot of something low to the ground. Hoping to get the right shot. If you like to do that - great - more power to you - 10 years ago this is the only way to do it without additional gear. Well, not any more - flip out the screen, use live view, touch screen focus, focus peaking, easy zooming. Be more comfortable, be more productive! Make the technology work for you.

Not all pros use all the options - in fact most pros only use a very specific set of features as they care more about having an efficient post workflow than anything else. However I don't know any pros who would be against having more options at their disposal. They'd rather having more options at their disposal and choose which one they want to use than not having any options at all. that's my point.
As a pro, I am against some of the options added to cameras. Not just "okay fine, I won't use it", but pissed off that it exists.

Of course, I'm talking about HDR mode. We don't need more shitty HDR stuff out there in the world.
01-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #694
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
As a pro, I am against some of the options added to cameras. Not just "okay fine, I won't use it", but pissed off that it exists.

Of course, I'm talking about HDR mode. We don't need more shitty HDR stuff out there in the world.
lol yea that's more of a marketing gimmick right, not much of a feature. The other thing is that probably a good portion of ppl who actually buys a "pro" level camera, aren't pros. It's not like you have to prove that >50% of your yearly income is from the photos you sell in order to buy one. A lot of times, ppl buy them because they are enthusiasts, or because they think there's a 100% positive collation between the quality of the photos and the price of the gear.

So the camera makers market to *THESE* guys more. Heck for most pros their livelihood depends on their camera, and they'd rather use something that's has been working for them than waste the time/money to learn a new tool. Old adage of if it ain't broken don't fix it! It's people like us who regularly debate about various non-essential merits of gears and churn them far more often than we really should - and we are the ones sustaining the industry!

01-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #695
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Just remember it is the CONSUMER Electronics Show. You will only see pocketable cameras and devices. No K mount or larger announcements/releases... outside of maybe showing off the KS-1.
01-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #696

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
We don't need more shitty HDR stuff out there in the world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know we don't want any more of these images that look so much more like what the naked eye actually saw. Like those old fangled paintings artists used to do.
Give me a decent pro B&W 2D low dynamic range photo any day. ;-)
01-17-2015, 01:06 AM   #697
Pentaxian

I hope those who were at CES wouldn't mind my asking, were you able to hold and test the camera and the lenses? If you were able to, how were they?

01-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #698

I extremely like your post.It's great one
01-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope those who were at CES wouldn't mind my asking, were you able to hold and test the camera and the lenses? If you were able to, how were they?
It was all under glass, AFAIK.
01-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If you are talking about the new camera and lenses under glass, the answer is no. They even put a piece of gaffer tape on top of the camera name (tacky) to hide the name. What is the big deal about showing the name?!
01-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #701
Pentaxian

Perhaps it's called "K-still-APS-C-but-we'll-announce-the-FF-in-June"? That kind of information is worth hiding!
01-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
If you are talking about the new camera and lenses under glass, the answer is no. They even put a piece of gaffer tape on top of the camera name (tacky) to hide the name. What is the big deal about showing the name?!
They didn't reveal the name of the 645Z until after CP+ last year. It was called the 645D 2014 at the show...
01-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They didn't reveal the name of the 645Z until after CP+ last year. It was called the 645D 2014 at the show...
I know. I attended WPPI 2014 in late February. The 645Z was there, under glass with no markings on it. So was the 28-45 lens.

Given that people want a reason to stay with Pentax, I am surprised that Ricoh/Pentax is playing cat and mouse game with people. It is a dangerous game. Once people leave they usually do not come back. So tell us what the damn lenses are instead of playing games.
01-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #704
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Often prototypes are given a working name, but the production name is not determined until production. Standard procedure by many manufacturers.
01-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #705
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know. I attended WPPI 2014 in late February. The 645Z was there, under glass with no markings on it. So was the 28-45 lens.

Given that people want a reason to stay with Pentax, I am surprised that Ricoh/Pentax is playing cat and mouse game with people. It is a dangerous game. Once people leave they usually do not come back. So tell us what the damn lenses are instead of playing games.
I have to agree with you on that one. Even if they don't have the WR/HD/SMC parts worked out the actual optical characteristics are pretty tough to change mid-stream and they ought to be able to say it's a 100-400/5.6 lens and we are still working on other aspects of the configuration. Pentax has been more evasive about what they have in the pipeline than any other company whose products I own, and it wears thin frankly.