Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #706
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have to agree with you on that one. Even if they don't have the WR/HD/SMC parts worked out the actual optical characteristics are pretty tough to change mid-stream and they ought to be able to say it's a 100-400/5.6 lens and we are still working on other aspects of the configuration. Pentax has been more evasive about what they have in the pipeline than any other company whose products I own, and it wears thin frankly.
I am with you. I do not care if it is a 70-200 or a 80-200 as long as I know it is a 2.8 lens and if it is FF then there is hope for an FF camera to follow up shortly.

I hate to switch systems again. I switched from Canon last year mostly for sentimental reasons. Although the K3 and my FA limiteds are a fantastic combo. But when it comes to fast focusing fast zooms Pentax is falling way short of the other guys. Hopefully this new lens is faster in focusing speed because the 60-250 I tried the other day is not gonna cut it for fast action pro work... focusing speed is way too slow.

Last edited by btnapa; 01-17-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
01-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #707
Pentaxian

I don't agree, first do you know many photo labels that publicly show their lenses roadmaps, other than Pentax Sony and Fuji ?
Second, showing mock-ups is not a new practice for Pentax, so the impatients should already have turned their feet further.
01-17-2015, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't agree, first do you know many photo labels that publicly show their lenses roadmaps, other than Pentax Sony and Fuji ?
Second, showing mock-ups is not a new practice for Pentax, so the impatients should already have turned their feet further.
Well, perhaps but when other companies a) already have the lenses in their lineup, b) introduce additional ones regularly - often several at a time, and 3) 3rd party lens makers bring every one of their lenses out in that mount it would behoove Pentax to make a greater effort to a) fill the gaps and b) keep their loyal customer base better informed.
01-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #709
Pentaxian

Well, Osborne Computer Corporation definitely kept their loyal customer base better informed

01-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #710

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I know. I attended WPPI 2014 in late February. The 645Z was there, under glass with no markings on it. So was the 28-45 lens.

Given that people want a reason to stay with Pentax, I am surprised that Ricoh/Pentax is playing cat and mouse game with people. It is a dangerous game. Once people leave they usually do not come back. So tell us what the damn lenses are instead of playing games.
No kidding. either its a 70-200 2.8 sports lens or im leaving for canon.
01-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
No kidding. either its a 70-200 2.8 sports lens or im leaving for canon.
The reality is if sports shooting is a high priority for you then you should have left for Canon already. They've been honing their gear for years and there's little chance that Pentax will catch or surpass them on the first try.
01-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #712
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The reality is if sports shooting is a high priority for you then you should have left for Canon already. They've been honing their gear for years and there's little chance that Pentax will catch or surpass them on the first try.
You gotta point there with Canon and also true with Nikon. However, there is no excuse for slow focusing lenses especially if they are commanding top dollar.

I think this thread opens up some interesting questions for me. With all its shortcomings, then what is a Pentax system geared for. I know there are a lot of die-hard Pentaxians out there (myself included) who have a nostalgic attachment to the brand. But as someone who shot weddings for a while (with Canon), Pentax has too many holes in its system for some areas of pro work. I then pose the question to Pentax powers to be; "Where can Pentax stake a claim as being the best." Yes the 645Z is the king of the MF cameras in the bang-for-the-buck department. But what about the bulk of the business which is DSLRs.

I hate to admit it but unless Pentax has a major upset up their sleeve, the base is going to erode and the winner oddly enough is going to be Sony. Not Nikon or Canon or the other guys!

I am hoping that if Pentax is true to its long history and heritage, then they are about to turn the game on its head, once again, as they have done throughout photographic history. Let's hope.

01-17-2015, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #713
Veteran Member

Pentax is Doomed!
01-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #714
Veteran Member

Pentax is Doomed!
LOL, not doomed by a long shot but people gotta maintain some reasonable expectations here. The K-mount platform, as it exists today, is perfectly capable for personal use capturing youth sports and other events. And because lenses like the DA* 50-135 F2.8 are optimized for APS-C they are much smaller than the classic FF 70-200 F2.8. I've had plenty of fun and success using Pentax for capturing life's moments.

But if I was being paid to be a pro sports photog and expected to nail that Super Bowl catch in the end zone, I'm not risking a paycheck and my reputation with Pentax.
01-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #715

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax can stake a claim to have the best aps-c lineup (as in coverage of classic focal lengths) and IMHO the most photographer centric UI.

I really like the limited lenses and I think the combination of small size and high quality is what keeps me shooting Pentax. Also, other than focus breathing, I don't think my DA* 60-250 could fill my needs any better.
01-17-2015, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I hate to admit it but unless Pentax has a major upset up their sleeve, the base is going to erode and the winner oddly enough is going to be Sony. Not Nikon or Canon or the other guys! I am hoping that if Pentax is true to its long history and heritage, then they are about to turn the game on its head, once again, as they have done throughout photographic history. Let's hope.
If you are waiting for Pentax to return to it's glory days and be "best" at anything you should move on. It just is not going to happen. Photography is a very mature industry and the only innovations are going to be at the sensor level which automatically leaves Pentax out. That area goes to electronic giants like Sony and Samsung.

They will continue to be a #3 or 4 or 5 player and produce nice gear that lots of people will take lots of nice pictures with. If you cannot be satisfied with that and have to be with the 'best' then it's time to look at other brands.

Canon and Nikon are far to entrenched in the sports and wedding industries for Pentax to ever come close. The only area they have a chance to be a market leader in is medium format and they do seem to be giving that a good try.

But they do not have to be best, just produce good gear that people buy and they can make money on.
01-18-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you are waiting for Pentax to return to it's glory days and be "best" at anything you should move on. It just is not going to happen. Photography is a very mature industry and the only innovations are going to be at the sensor level which automatically leaves Pentax out. That area goes to electronic giants like Sony and Samsung.

They will continue to be a #3 or 4 or 5 player and produce nice gear that lots of people will take lots of nice pictures with. If you cannot be satisfied with that and have to be with the 'best' then it's time to look at other brands.

Canon and Nikon are far to entrenched in the sports and wedding industries for Pentax to ever come close. The only area they have a chance to be a market leader in is medium format and they do seem to be giving that a good try.

But they do not have to be best, just produce good gear that people buy and they can make money on.
One could argue that the real innovations to come will be at the software level, not the sensor level. That still favours outfits with big R&D departments but takes us a little beyond the traditional camera companies. In future years, there might not be enough buyers of pure, traditional cameras to go round; there barely are now.
01-18-2015, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #718

It does strike me that Pentax has several good things going for it, one thing which is certain: you can get pretty much the best build quality, including weather sealing, for the least amount of money in the industry. They have created a sweet spot for people like me. The K5 and later, K3 - are in this respect, top notch.
01-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #719
ogl
Banned

Pentax is Doomed!
The world is doomed
01-18-2015, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The world is doomed
It doesn't matter. The world is a hologram.