Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 02:43 AM   #166
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Uluru, beware! It commences like the above and tomorrow, insidiously, you will begin to praise Ricoh and their actions .
I try to give credit if it is due. I understand that, until now, Ricoh has indeed tried to understand what this business with Pentax is all about. They made mistakes. But they learned a few things too.

Ricoh was not a strong small customer oriented brand; their business model, their presenting strategies, their marketing etc. work better with large corporate customers. That is why their branding and marketing and announcements look confusing. It still is confusing. It takes them time to realise that in retail, when they need to fight for shelf space and fight against perceptions, they need to change the tune.

And it also took them some time to understand that it is users who own the Pentax brand, not Ricoh. Ricoh has legal liabilities, but the actual owner of the brand is the guy or girl buying the FA31 Ltd and K-3 and expecting 80-210/2.8. And these users set certain expectations that the legal over must respect.

Users want to be excited, users want Pentax. So, Ricoh launch different Pentax products (not many are up to tastes for enthusiasts in Pentax Forums though, few are), and yet they continue to understand what users really want. They work from bottoms up, though. Not the best tactics IMHO, but any progress for a slow learner like Ricoh is encouraging.

01-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope you're right. I'm not convinced. What Ricoh doesn't seem to understand is that I own "Pentax" gear not "Ricoh" gear. Stop replacing the name. Doesn't have to make sense, but it's nonetheless true. I didn't buy "Hoya" gear either.
01-13-2015, 05:21 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I hope you're right. I'm not convinced. What Ricoh doesn't seem to understand is that I own "Pentax" gear not "Ricoh" gear. Stop replacing the name. Doesn't have to make sense, but it's nonetheless true. I didn't buy "Hoya" gear either.
Not even filters?
01-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #169
Site Supporter

Get over it. As long as the gear is good, and it works with the old stuff, who cares what it's called?

01-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not even filters?
Sold them and use Marumi. Not a fan of Hoya.
01-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

I did buy Ricoh branded products. Had two of their K-mount bodies. For the time, MANY good features, better IMHO that what Pentax bodies were offering at the time, but they were not especially well made and gave me more physical problems than any Pentax body. If we go WAY-WAY back, to the first introduction of Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Miranda, Konica, Petri, Olympus, etc. etc. film SLRs, almost all the manufacturers started with a more-or-less enthusiast's camera, then later introduced simpler, less expensive models. Canikon in particular stuck with generally "professional" products, with "consumer" models generally coming later as a lead-in to the higher end cameras.
01-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #172
Site Supporter

The Ricoh KR-10 was my entry into the world of Pentax, so in some way the world has come full circle.
01-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #173
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Which product did they replace the name on?

01-13-2015, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #174
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Get over it. As long as the gear is good, and it works with the old stuff, who cares what it's called?
Ok, sounds like a plan...mind if I call *you* Gravel Hancock? I mean Sandy is like Gravel. What's in a name right? I will still know who you are right?
What if Sandy is short for Sandra and not rocky stuff?
What if a brand change, changes an entire perception?

Branding is part of the human experience, it's why we have names for ourselves.
It's our identity and things made by men (and women) reflect the ethos of those that created things.
Like parents giving *their* creation names.

The pseudo argument about brand, is really moot since branding is all around us.

Pentax matters more than Ricoh on these forums.

01-13-2015, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #175
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok, sounds like a plan...mind if I call *you* Gravel Hancock? I mean Sandy is like Gravel. What's in a name right? I will still know who you are right?
What if Sandy is short for Sandra and not rocky stuff?
What if a brand change, changes an entire perception?
Lol! That's a ridiculous analogy. We all know "Sandy" is short for Alexsandstone A. Hancock. (The A. stands for Aggregate, so we could call him Greg, too.)

It's the K-mount I want. I'd buy a Ricoh DSLR as long as it had a K-mount on it. They'll lose me if they change the mount, no matter if they print Pentax or Ricoh on the body.
01-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter

Some truth to what LaurenOE wrote. Besides, if they decide to call all their cameras "Ricoh" instead of Pentax, must we all become "Ricohians" instead of "Pentaxians?" Or will we hybridize Ricoh bodies with Pentax lenses as "Ritaxians" or "Pencohians?" I was a little sorry when "Takumar" was dropped. We could have been "Penkumarians" or "Takutaxians" and sounded like something out of Star Trek. And way back they dropped "Asahi." Think of the possibilities: Asapentakucohians, or Ricasatakupentians. or Pentaricasamarians. What's in a name? An Asahiflex by any other will still take images, hopefully.
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok, sounds like a plan...mind if I call *you* Gravel Hancock?
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
We all know "Sandy" is short for Alexsandstone A. Hancock.
This is too funny.

And I love that people are complaining about the wrong name on the camera, when all the photos of the mystery camera have a big PENTAX on the back, much bigger than the cameras we had so far. I'm sure it will say Ricoh somewhere on the camera, and I don't mind, as long as the front says PENTAX.
01-13-2015, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Site Supporter

I'll bet when you power it up, it'll yell "RICOH!!" as the startup noise.
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #179
Pentaxian

I admit, I would be a bit sad to find myself in a Mirror Universe in which I'll wear a beard and have my camera rebranded Ricoh - I like the Pentax name better. However, since the alternative would be to give up on the K-mount and jump ship - definitely a worse proposition - I would have to accept it.
Fortunately, I'm firmly established into this Universe, where Ricoh is fully supporting its Pentax brand.
01-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This is too funny.

And I love that people are complaining about the wrong name on the camera, when all the photos of the mystery camera have a big PENTAX on the back, much bigger than the cameras we had so far. I'm sure it will say Ricoh somewhere on the camera, and I don't mind, as long as the front says PENTAX.
Demos of the K-3 had Pentax on the back too........now they don't.

Lauren +1.