Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
LOL. It's all good.
Everyone knows where I stand with the Pentax name.
Sure, I'm crazy when it comes to Pentax.

Good thing I'm here on Pentaxforums.

Also, just so folks know how much I believe in Pentax, here is a photo of the first shipment of Pentax cameras and lenses for my team.

I need a googly-eyed smily for that! Wow!

01-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #197
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I need a googly-eyed smily for that! Wow!
Yep. Someday, Ricoh will wake up and realize that some Pentaxians have been with the company through thick and thin. We have been loyal, and have been buying Pentax products for ages.

We never left the brand. We kept it afloat. We are professionals and enthusiasts alike.
We never gave into the hype that Pentax was substandard.
We've been here all along.
We've not always been the "coolest" or the "trendiest" or the demographic to chase, but we are here, using Pentax tools to achieve our artistic, professional and aesthetic visions regardless of what other people use.

Someday Ricoh will understand what Pentax means to so many of us.

And that some of us, actually put our (and our companies) cash on the line for using Pentax products.

I don't need LEDs, colors or other gimmicks.

I. Need. A. Photographic/Video. Tool.

01-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #198
Site Supporter

Also, just so folks know how much I believe in Pentax, here is a photo of the first shipment of Pentax cameras and lenses for my team.
Show off!

I think those are DA*16-50's and 50-150's. What are the DAs (with the green rings)? Just curious what you selected there, to complete your kits.
01-13-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Show off!

I think those are DA*16-50's and 50-150's. What are the DAs (with the green rings)? Just curious what you selected there, to complete your kits.
12-24s?

01-13-2015, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #200
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Show off!

DA 12-24 to complete the focal ranges.

This is what I (and my team) does....

Everything was shot on Pentax except for the football player, as that was stock footage - I couldn't get a football player in time.
And the Airplane taking off - that was GoPro Hero 3+.

The voice over is a woman on my team.

Every shot in that video was done with Pentax.

This was an internal proof of concept video, but my team makes all kinds of multimedia deliverables.

Hmmm...I think we are into thread hijack territory!

01-13-2015, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #201
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I honestly don't think that Ricoh has ever planned to retire Pentax as a brand name. I think they just want to make a connection between Pentax brand and their corporate brand. When you look at how quickly Microsoft has ditched the Nokia brand, Ricoh looks positively sensitive by comparison.

There are business advantages to merging brands. Over the years it will be cheaper or more effective to support one brand with advertising. It could also lead to customers buying other products of the same brand. One example would be Canon camera users buying Canon printers. If Ricoh wanted to get into the home printer market, they could draw advantage from associating their brand with the cameras. But despite this, they have backed away from doing this since the K-3.

The important thing is that they have concentrated on strengthening existing Pentax mounts, even while cutting most of the classic Ricoh line. Let's face it, Pentax meant nothing on a compact camera. They were all rebrands of standard designs, whereas Ricoh always put serious R&D into their compacts. I personally think it cheapens Ricoh's brand to put it on cameras like the Options or WG series. Ricoh used to be a pioneer of serious compacts and now only the GR survives.

I'm really amused that a massive Pentax logo on the mystery camera could spark this discussion.
01-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm really amused that a massive Pentax logo on the mystery camera could spark this discussion.
That my friend, is what makes Pentaxians who we are.
01-13-2015, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #203
JPT
Pentaxian

And just to add something relevant to the thread title, the design of this camera is giving off a kind of 80s feeling. Pentax written vertically like that reminds me of the lettering on the P30 camera. I don't mean that negatively. I think an F series lens would look great on the model with orange base plate.

Since this camera seems to contain some elements of the K-S1 design, I wonder if it was also designed by the Ziba design company.

01-13-2015, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

That my friend, is what makes Pentaxians who we are.
No, it doesn't, and with all due respect - you don't speak for all of us.

I'm not scared by a small Ricoh inscription under the back LCD, on a Pentax product. I'm not scared by a large Pentax inscription on the back LCD's cover either. Nor by LEDs in products not intended for me.
I'm not scared by Pentax. I like it, and that makes me a Pentaxian.
01-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #205
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
When you look at how quickly Microsoft has ditched the Nokia brand, Ricoh looks positively sensitive by comparison.
How fast was that??

I bought a Nokia 929 from Verizon last month. I don't know when this was designed or built, but it is the newest Windows phone sold by Verizon. It says Nokia on both front and back, but it doesn't say Microsoft anywhere. When I was looking specifically for a Windows phone, I found Nokia phones sold by various wireless companies, but no one had one listed as by "Microsoft".
01-13-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #206
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I like [Pentax], and that makes me a Pentaxian.
Agreed. Let's keep it simple and stop looking for things to argue about, like "But what if it perhaps DOESN'T say Pentax at some point in the future on some product that I haven't even seen yet or imagined maybe?" But then I awoke from my reverie! And there I was, at PentaxForums, where such conversation is a staple. :-P

What I really want is to just use cool, fun, capable gear and take pictures that I like. I'm gonna do that regardless of whatever brand of paint and plastic and circuitry that I'm holding in my hands.
01-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How fast was that??
Less than 6 months. They announced they will be using "Microsoft Lumia" in October.
01-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How fast was that??

I bought a Nokia 929 from Verizon last month. I don't know when this was designed or built, but it is the newest Windows phone sold by Verizon. It says Nokia on both front and back, but it doesn't say Microsoft anywhere. When I was looking specifically for a Windows phone, I found Nokia phones sold by various wireless companies, but no one had one listed as by "Microsoft".
To be fair they didn't buy the rights to use the name forever... I think a few years it was? With Nokia being allowed to enter the smartphone market soon after. So it's easy to see why Microsoft wanted to differentiate themselves from that brand ASAP, especially in the US where Nokia doesn't mean anything anyway. It's a bit tougher in Europe, but clearly they don't want to be confused with whatever what is left of Nokia will come up with. Probably some rebadged made in China phones (not that Chinese phones are bad... but the ones that are available for rebadging aren't that great perhaps). At best they will license the name to some Chinese company that wants to establish themselves.

Ricoh and Pentax are in a very different position.
01-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Pentax on the back, I'm good.
LOVE the SMC on the lens too.

Looks like someone at Ricoh started to realize some of the "brands" mean something to Pentaxians.

Let's hope that it was you that had a direct effect on Pentax with the name on the back. If so, then someone just might actually be listening.....

Actually, I would like to take this as a large positive in terms of Ricoh realizing that the Pentax brand has more value than what they might have initially realized. Assuming that Pentax stays on the back, it might be a small indication of large things in the offing.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-13-2015 at 08:28 PM.
01-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #210
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
To be fair they didn't buy the rights to use the name forever... I think a few years it was? With Nokia being allowed to enter the smartphone market soon after. So it's easy to see why Microsoft wanted to differentiate themselves from that brand ASAP, especially in the US where Nokia doesn't mean anything anyway. It's a bit tougher in Europe, but clearly they don't want to be confused with whatever what is left of Nokia will come up with. Probably some rebadged made in China phones (not that Chinese phones are bad... but the ones that are available for rebadging aren't that great perhaps). At best they will license the name to some Chinese company that wants to establish themselves.

Ricoh and Pentax are in a very different position.
If that's the case, I agree that the situation is different with Microsoft and Nokia. It sounds more like Lenovo transitioning away from IBM because they had to.