Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Looking forward to this new camera as a replacement for my solid but ageing k200d.

If it is a k-50 replacement as everything seems to indicate, it will probably be priced a touch above the entry level K-S1, which will see further discounts in my opinion due to this newly released model. I would also consider to spend some extra on an heavily discounted k3 (especially if a new k3ii is released at CP+)...but considering that the k200d still almost satisfies my limited needs, even this more affordable model will be miles ahead of my old body from every possible point of view and leave me happy enough.

What i am really dissatisfied with in the k200d is the smallish and dim pentamirror viewfinder. If this one has the sae 100% coverage 0.95x magnification pentaprism of the KS-1 it would be a huge improvement.

We can just speculate about that, but do you think the new kit lens (being from the DA L series) will have quick shift focus ?

02-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
We can just speculate about that, but do you think the new kit lens (being from the DA L series) will have quick shift focus ?
So far, the DA L versions do not have QS (but the higher-end version of the same lens does). I doubt Pentax would change this. The DA L is meant to be cheap and it is supposed to have some parts "missing" (distance scales, hood, WR, QS) - to tempt users to upgrade.
But things might change, maybe new kit lenses will be WR and so on. I would be glad to see that, but I don't expect it.
02-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #258
Pentaxian

Yes, but the collapsible lens is DC - so there is a chance.
02-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #259
Pentaxian

Indeed current DA L lenses do not have it, but they are budget versions of otherwise existing designs...maybe this time there will be a 18-50 DC WR only in DA L version and it might have QS (where the denomination identifies it as a "kit level" lens, regardless of the fact that it will be sold separately or not). Just speculation...perhaps i am optimistic because of the green ring on the barrel...

02-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #260
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What's that dog gonna do if he ever catches a car?
Get slapped in the muzzle by the driver opening the car door?
02-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #261
Pentaxian

If the kit lens has green ring, DC motor, possibly WR and QS.. that would be one hell of a kit lens
02-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If the kit lens has green ring, DC motor, possibly WR and QS.. that would be one hell of a kit lens
Amen. If they show a reasonable step up in terms of video (i.e. show that they keep being a viable platform) I'll try to get that kit lens. Losing half a stop wide open hurts a bit, that it doesn't go even a bit wider too, but mhh...

Kit lenses used to have QS... I have one of those. It's pretty well built, even with a metal mount.
02-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #263
Veteran Member

My guess is that this camera is what the K-S1 should have been: same 20 mp sensor with flip-out screen, WIFI, and perhaps weather-sealing.

02-02-2015, 02:16 AM   #264
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Interesting... I wonder what the big rectangle behind the card slot is? Just a funky grip for your thumb or something else?
That's the normal selection buttons, just in a rounded square shape.
02-02-2015, 03:00 AM   #265
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
above the buttons, is the rectangle thumb grip i presume.
02-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My guess is that this camera is what the K-S1 should have been: same 20 mp sensor with flip-out screen, WIFI, and perhaps weather-sealing.
The K-S1 is a design experiment. A show car that went into production. It runs besides the regular line of cameras. It is aimed at people who put an emphasis on looks, who want something compact and pretty, yet reasonably competent.

This camera is the K-50 successor, that seems quite obvious to me. Some design elements of the K-S1 can be found here too, it is a very good looking traditional DSLR, but it has to remain usable.

I'm sure some of the design elements and features of this camera will be found in the K-3 successor too, so this is interesting to all of us. We had 4 cameras that were essentially based on each other. K-7, K-5 and K-5 II share the body, and only the sensor, processor and AF sensor were replaced. The K-3 is a K-5 with a few changes and some body changes to improve it for video. Likewise the K-50 is a repackaged K-30. I think all these products at least started at Hoya, or were created as Ricoh tried to merge their photographic divisions. This camera (or the K-S1) is the first 100% Ricoh Pentax product.
02-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-S1 is a design experiment. A show car that went into production. It runs besides the regular line of cameras. It is aimed at people who put an emphasis on looks, who want something compact and pretty, yet reasonably competent.

This camera is the K-50 successor, that seems quite obvious to me. Some design elements of the K-S1 can be found here too, it is a very good looking traditional DSLR, but it has to remain usable.

I'm sure some of the design elements and features of this camera will be found in the K-3 successor too, so this is interesting to all of us. We had 4 cameras that were essentially based on each other. K-7, K-5 and K-5 II share the body, and only the sensor, processor and AF sensor were replaced. The K-3 is a K-5 with a few changes and some body changes to improve it for video. Likewise the K-50 is a repackaged K-30. I think all these products at least started at Hoya, or were created as Ricoh tried to merge their photographic divisions. This camera (or the K-S1) is the first 100% Ricoh Pentax product.
I think you might be taking the marketing lingo too literally. The positioning of a camera is not cast in iron; the marketing hyperbole accompanying a product will vary from one region to another, and occasionally it will be coloured by something as trivial as the whims of the agency doing the marketing. According to the German Pentax site, the K-S1 is "die ideale Kamera für Spiegelreflex-Einsteiger"; in other words, it could justifiably be assigned to the lineage of entry level cameras. That they would be emphatic about its heterodox design in their marketing is only to be expected.
02-02-2015, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #268
Pentaxian

It is small. Everything that is entailed in making it small will show up in other products.

Research and development based firms have a tendency to work on things, which doesn't generate revenue. The work on shrinking the dslr is an ongoing project, and instead of waiting until they had reached perfection they put out a product. The unnamed body is small as well. The rumoured GR full frame would need to be very small.

So all we saw was the LED's, what the engineers saw was small.
02-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #269
Pentaxian

Well, DSLR beginners who care about design. I would consider bodies like the 1200D as a beginner body, and the K-S1 plays in a different league. Isn't it more of a K-50 without the WR, and shrunken a bit?
02-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #270
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-3 is a K-5 with a few changes and some body changes to improve it for video.
It has a different sensor, different engine, different AF system, more AF points, completely reworked ergonomics, the list goes on.

It is easier and faster to list what's the same, instead of what's changed. It amounts to a massive step, not "the same with a few changes for video".

This camera (or the K-S1) is the first 100% Ricoh Pentax product.
The K-3 is the first fully Ricoh camera.