Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,275
Hey look...NFC


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2015, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
One thing I just thought, why would they mount a WR kit lens on a non-WR body? It's likely that this is a WR body with the articulating screen, like the 645Z.
01-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just missing the top LCD I guess...
Only the flagship/Pro end models have the top LCD, so not missing anything.
01-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
OMG. I'm buying one. I can already tell.
After having a white camera already, would you buy white again?

01-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hey look...NFC
Yeh, spotted that too.. (Along with what looks like a dual SD slot)
01-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
This is hybrid of a lot of things. Ltd. 21mm type hood; retractable lens like Q-lens 06; looks like K-S1-style color schemes; HDR on the mode dial like the K-01; probably the K-S1's 20mp sensor. Top has green and +/- buttons near the shutter button, like K-30/50 -- Pentax top-line cameras (K-5's/K-3) usually have the green and ISO buttons near the shutter instead. No dual-card slots because there's no button to switch between them on the back, unlike K-3. Also no IR sensor on the back, unlike k-3. So this is a K-50-level model with some important new stuff and other stuff from lots of other models. A-HDR selection on mode dial puzzles me. No IR button on back bothers me.
01-08-2015, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
This is hybrid of a lot of things. Ltd. 21mm type hood; retractable lens like Q-lens 06; looks like K-S1-style color schemes; HDR on the mode dial like the K-01; probably the K-S1's 20mp sensor. Top has green and +/- buttons near the shutter button, like K-30/50 -- Pentax top-line cameras (K-5's/K-3) usually have the green and ISO buttons near the shutter instead. No dual-card slots because there's no button to switch between them on the back, unlike K-3. Also no IR sensor on the back, unlike k-3. So this is a K-50-level model with some important new stuff and other stuff from lots of other models. A-HDR selection on mode dial puzzles me. No IR button on back bothers me.
I agree with your general assessment of where this model falls in the Pentax line-up. However, why are you puzzled by the HDR mode on the dial? Ease of access to HDR is a selling point. The K-S1 was designed with the cameraphone user in mind the way they did the buttons and screen. This one looks to be designed to capture those looking for their first dSLR.
01-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian
kooks's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Josť, Costa Rica
Photos: Albums
Posts: 664
This is how the Nikon D5500 screen will work.. so we can expect the same movement from the Pentax.



This Pentax is obviously target to the Entry/Mid range photographers.. Advanced/Pro will have to wait until CP+ ..

01-08-2015, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
severalsnakes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Shawnee, KS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,500
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
After having a white camera already, would you buy white again?
Yes, absolutely.
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
No dual-card slots because there's no button to switch between them on the back, unlike K-3.
Well, the K-3 is old tech because it has no built-in WiFi or NFC, there is on this one so it's not a stretch to ponder that the extra wide SD door hides dual slots and are selectable via a different and updated method to the K-3. PENTAX upped the ante with the K-50 for consumer grade cams (compared to other brands), I see them continuing the trend here.
I expect the K-3II will also have the vari-angle screen, NFC and built-in WiFi.
01-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
The question is if it is mid-grade, like K-50, or an entry level like K-500. This camera looks a bit flashy, but everything seems to be there - so it could be either.
Was there really that much difference between the K-50 and K-500??
01-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Was there really that much difference between the K-50 and K-500??
Weathersealing and the illuminated AF points, so there were some differences. I am honestly not sure what would they put into a mid-range camera if this is an entry level though. All I can think of is built-in astrotracker and GPS, but I would expect that in a flagship, not midrange. So probably the K-S1 will be their entry level offering.
01-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree with your general assessment of where this model falls in the Pentax line-up. However, why are you puzzled by the HDR mode on the dial? Ease of access to HDR is a selling point.
HDR hasn't been on any mode dial since K-01. In somewhat analogous fashion K-S1 has "Effect" on the mode dial, which was just a direct access to some of the "filters" that are usually in the menu ("bold monochrome," etc.). But if "Effect" was their most recent mode dial "effects" option to offer, why do away with it so quickly and go back to K-01's HDR selection? I think HDR is a better choice, of course, if either of them being on the mode dial is of any use to anyone in the first place.
01-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
HDR hasn't been on any mode dial since K-01. In somewhat analogous fashion K-S1 has "Effect" on the mode dial, which was just a direct access to some of the "filters" that are usually in the menu ("bold monochrome," etc.). But if "Effect" was their most recent mode dial "effects" option to offer, why do away with it so quickly and go back to K-01's HDR selection? I think HDR is a better choice, of course, if either of them being on the mode dial is of any use to anyone in the first place.
Maybe it's a setting for an exposure bracketing mode, that records three RAWs and an HDR JPG? That would be quite useful. Much easier than digging through the menu for bracketing.
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #30
Pentaxian
kooks's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Josť, Costa Rica
Photos: Albums
Posts: 664
Have somebody notice that there is no visible MOVIE swtich... how would this handle movie, cuz i doubt that there will not be a movie option.. but where??
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, brother, buttons, camera, cameras, k-50, lcd, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pictures, post, ricoh, school, screen, team, vari-angle, width
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3: Best Of The Best for 2013? Doundounba Pentax K-3 8 01-04-2014 08:06 PM
Camera Store TV team :Sony A7r is the best camera of the year 2013 jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 21 12-29-2013 06:30 AM
K-3 in the top 3 best cameras of the year...as per Camera Store mamethot Pentax K-3 3 12-26-2013 05:58 PM
Best of the used (K-5, K-x, K-7) ASheffield Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 10-04-2013 05:25 PM
OK, what is the best way to send my camera back? NaClH2O Photographic Technique 10 07-06-2008 08:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top