Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Features look VERY reminiscent of the D5XXX...not that it's a bad thing, it is a very fine camera and feature rich.
But a lot of folks claimed WiFi and the tilt-swivel screen were gimmicky. Slap a Pentax on it and all of a sudden it is a winner.

01-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I first saw an articulated screen (on a Canon my brother brought to a wedding nearly ten years ago), I wondered how long it would last, how many times he could move it around before the contacts failed. He had the same camera at Christmas this past year, so we can say that the technology is well-established, well-accepted, by now.
My Canon G2 (recently passed on to my brother) had an articulated screen. It is a great feature and really shines when doing low/high angle work or selfies. Mine did fail while still under warranty due to a failure in the wiring through the articulation joint. I have been less than enthusiastic since. I am curious as to how well the weather seals will work with this design. It is more ambitious than the tilt screen on the 645Z.

Steve
01-09-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Some buttons seems to be missing. Maybe they are under display
Don't compare this with the K-3. It's not in the same class. Instead compare it with the K-50 and you'll find there are no buttons missing, in fact there are more than the K-50. Also there is an additional mode to the Off/On switch that the K-50 doesn't have either.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 04:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I bet someone could break the vari-angle screen off quite easily if dropped on the screen.
I bet that same careless person could break anything.
I'm talking about normal use. The Vari-angle screen is proven over many years. It is not flimsy, weak or prone to damage.
01-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Don't compare this with the K-3. It's not in the same class. Instead compare it with the K-50 and you'll find there are no buttons missing, in fact there are more than the K-50. Also there is an additional mode to the Off/On switch that the K-50 doesn't have either.
I don't remember how the K-50 is. Never had one. I compare it to my K-5IIs Unfair, yes.

Anyway, I like that ''demo'' camera. If they will make a grip for it, which I doubt, and a good video capability, it could be good for me.

01-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Anyway, I like that ''demo'' camera. If they will make a grip for it, which I doubt, and a good video capability, it could be good for me.
I agree. I think it will be a successful camera for Pentax.
01-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
The question is if it is mid-grade, like K-50, or an entry level like K-500. This camera looks a bit flashy, but everything seems to be there - so it could be either.
I don't think so. Look at the Mode Dial. It only has settings that go on advanced cameras. Except for the top LCD, it looks as a medium to high end camera.

Have a great one!

Norberto
01-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
I don't think so. Look at the Mode Dial. It only has settings that go on advanced cameras. Except for the top LCD, it looks as a medium to high end camera.

Have a great one!

Norberto
Pretty clearly this is a mid-level dSLR and not the K-3 replacement. I expect that we will see another dSLR at CP+ in February for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that CP+ is held on the Home Islands.

01-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
After having a white camera already, would you buy white again?
Hmmm. Never have had a white one. But maybe not. I saw a white (or should I say almost or off-white) K-50 in a Target store that looked very soiled. I would go either for a black or red model.

Norberto
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
I don't think so. Look at the Mode Dial. It only has settings that go on advanced cameras.
Have a look at the K-30 and K-50/K-500 mode dials. They are the same with the exception that they also have the movie mode selection whereas this new model does not (as it's on the power switch).

K-30

K-50/K-500
01-09-2015, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote
But... But... I don't see the word Ricoh...
It's a trick, when you turn on the lcd screen, it will start with a big RICOH Logo
01-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the swivel screen. I wish my K-3 has swivel screen to be honest.

The new camera looks compact enough and I really like the Pentax logo at the back too. Great stuff.
01-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #117

As long as it still keeps a penta-prism with similar specs as the K7 /K5 / K3 bodies, at least a 16 MP sensor and... has a pc terminal for studio flash, movie modes that include both 30 and 60 fps and external stereo mic connector, I;ll consider it as first body. Otherwise, I'll consider it as second body or mid-range camera.
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
From TechIscool - TechIsCool's Pictures
The most interesting thing to me in the photos is how the FA 77 and 31 are displayed prominently next to two DA lenses.

That said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, please no one read anything into that.
01-09-2015, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
The most interesting thing to me in the photos is how the FA 77 and 31 are displayed prominently next to two DA lenses.

That said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, please no one read anything into that.
THEN WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP? AAAAAAAAAAH!
01-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #120
Veteran Member

I like what I see. I'd like it even more if it were mirrorless, but this looks like a step in the right direction. And it is a very pretty camera. We'll see.

Competition had become much stiffer with the Samsung NX1 IMHO, so we'll have to see what Pentax brings to the table.