Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 04:05 AM - 4 Likes   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Am I the only one who thinks there isn't a whole lot of room to place your thumb at the back of the camera? It seems the play button will be too easy to push by mistake and should have been put somewhere else.
Valid concern BUT, there are only a handful of options that Pentax designers can do:

1. Reduce screen size to make room for the thumb, (and we will all be crying that this isn't 2007 anymore).
2. Reduce button sizes: (and we will all be crying that Pentax designed the camera for Hobbits)
3. Increase camera size: (and we will all be crying "Hey, Ricoh, this isn't Pentax!")
4. Place the button elsewhere (front? sides? top? or bottom?): (and we will all be crying: "What is Pentax thinking? This is like K3's video button deja vu")

So, a compromise has to be made! We are a difficult bunch to please!

01-12-2015, 04:28 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grip and ergonomics of the K-S1 are *much* better than I expected, so I am willing to bet you will pleasantly surprised with this camera too.

It looks like the thumb will rest nicely between the rear control wheel up and left, the AF/AE lock button up and right, and the review button underneath.
01-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Depending of the size of the hands, can be OK, or not. For me, even K-5 is a little small, and my thumb never find a very good place on my camera with grip mounted all the time.
01-12-2015, 04:58 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
a true K-3 replacement, WR (maybe without articulated back LCD) and the works, sometime later
maybe a hinged LCD as on the 645z? - like a refconverter.

01-12-2015, 05:11 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Depending of the size of the hands, can be OK, or not. For me, even K-5 is a little small, and my thumb never find a very good place on my camera with grip mounted all the time.
I'm 6'3", and have pretty big hands. I hold the K-S1 differently from my K-3, but since I worked out the right technique for me it works brilliantly.
01-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With Pentax on the back, I'm good.
LOVE the SMC on the lens too.

Looks like someone at Ricoh started to realize some of the "brands" mean something to Pentaxians.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-12-2015 at 08:19 AM.
01-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
With Pentax on the back, I'm good.
LOVE the SMC on the lens too.

Looks like someone at Ricoh started to realize some of the "brands" mean something to Pentaxians.

Let's hope so. In the past they have had Pentax on the demo version and then Ricoh on the production version of cameras.

01-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I the only one who thinks there isn't a whole lot of room to place your thumb at the back of the camera?
I wonder if they consulted the model who appeared the Photoshopped K-S1 image. If she didn't have problems with the prototype that was displayed at CES, we will probably be okay with thumb placement and button operation.
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Let's hope so. In the past they have had Pentax on the demo version and then Ricoh on the production version of cameras.
It could say "Pink Poodle Pants" on the back and I'd probably still buy it.
01-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #160

Am I the only one who thinks there isn't a whole lot of room to place your thumb at the back of the camera? It seems the play button will be too easy to push by mistake and should have been put somewhere else.
Others comments are valid here, but also worth noting the raised rest next to the play button. I can imagine this will work well to minimise the risk. I guess there may have been some response to feedback from the K-50 too, where plenty of reviews suggested the thumb rest (lack-of) was a negative point. In the grand scheme of things, I think this is workable.
01-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm 6'3", and have pretty big hands. I hold the K-S1 differently from my K-3, but since I worked out the right technique for me it works brilliantly.
My case it's not a rule. And I didn't pretend to be. And comparison between persons are not always appropriate, even if they have the same size.
01-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Only if "Pentax" still refers to some of the old Pentax ethic of a photographer-centric interface, compact and robust build quality, quality lenses with state-of-the-art coatings, and the occasional willingness to innovate in ways others have not yet considered -- only in that case does "Pentax" actually mean anything.

And from what I can tell, all of those things remain true in their current products. The sensor-vibrate approach to AA filtering on the K-3, for example, was a fresh idea. The new releases of the Limited lenses to give them the new coatings and rounded blades reflects dedication to good glass. All of their bodies are robustly built, and the menus and interface are very intuitive. I think Ricoh is aware of that heritage, and it looks as though they intend to keep it. (Are you listening, Ricoh?) I think that's is why they have retained the Pentax branding -- It still means something.

So I will probably buy the new camera we have a peek at at CES. Not because I need it, but because it looks like a fun, Pentax-style offering.
01-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #163
Veteran Member

I like that the Pentax name on the back screen is written sideways: eyecatching, without screaming too loudly or clashing next to the same name on the pentaprism housing. It's an elegant solution for a screen that can flip around, and might otherwise show the name upside down, if they inscribed the name horizontally.

Yikes, I am talking like some kind of fashion expert.

Anyhow, this should stand out in a sea of other brands.
01-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #164
Banned

Nah. Ricoh is learning. Slowly. Indeed they had no idea what they have purchased back in 2011.
But they are realising it. They will repeat some moderate mistakes couple of times, but not crucial mistakes.
They learn. Slowly.
01-13-2015, 01:39 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Nah. Ricoh is learning. Slowly. Indeed they had no idea what they have purchased back in 2011.
But they are realising it. They will repeat some moderate mistakes couple of times, but not crucial mistakes.
They learn. Slowly.
Uluru, beware! It commences like the above and tomorrow, insidiously, you will begin to praise Ricoh and their actions .