Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Let's hope that it was you that had a direct effect on Pentax with the name on the back. If so, then someone just might actually be listening.....

Actually, I would like to take this as a large positive in terms of Ricoh realizing that the Pentax brand has more value than what they might have initially realized. Assuming that Pentax stays on the back, it might be a small indication of large things in the offing.
I'm a lot more interested in retaining the "Pentax" on the front; that is what other people will see the most (look at all the times viewers of CSI, etc see the name "Nikon" as crime scene photographs are taken).

01-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
And just to add something relevant to the thread title, the design of this camera is giving off a kind of 80s feeling. Pentax written vertically like that reminds me of the lettering on the P30 camera. I don't mean that negatively. I think an F series lens would look great on the model with orange base plate.
Good observation, now that you mention it, my SF-10 has that vertical lettering on the grip as well (as does the rest of the SF- series for that matter). Agreed about the bold F-series lettering on the orange base.

If neon comes back into fashion, Pentax/Ricoh can have their production ready faster than anyone else ....
01-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
If neon comes back into fashion
Have you SEEN kids these days!? They're ALL wearing day-glo, my friend.
01-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Also, just so folks know how much I believe in Pentax, here is a photo of the first shipment of Pentax cameras and lenses for my team.
OK, the next ten posts, you can say whatever you want.

01-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #215

I find all this brand name on the back discussion amusing.

Three of the four Pentax branded bodies I own say "Asahi Optical Company" on the back. One body says "Asahi Pentax" on the front.. Both Pentax bellows I own say "Asahi Optical Company" on the back standard. One says Asahi Pentax and the model on the front, the other just Pentax and the model.

So when Asahi Optical Company became Pentax Corporation in 2002 they followed the tradition of putting the company name on the back, which just happened to be Pentax. When Pentax merged with Hoya it became Hoya Pentax HD Corporation with one of the divisions being Pentax Imaging Corporation so leaving Pentax on the back as the company name still followed the previous traditions. In 2011 when Ricoh bought out Pentax Imaging Corporation from Hoya it became Ricoh Pentax Imaging Corporation and finally just Ricoh Imaging Corporation in 2013. Thus Ricoh was only following the time honoured tradition of putting the brand and model name on the front and the company name on the back.
01-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #216
ogl
Banned

one more photo
01-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When Pentax merged with Hoya it became Hoya Pentax HD Corporation with one of the divisions being Pentax Imaging Corporation
Sorry to be nitpicking, but Pentax and Hoya never merged so there was no Hoya Pentax HD. Hoya forcibly acquired Pentax through a stock swapping operation; thus, Pentax Imaging Systems Business become a Hoya division.

01-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
one more photo
I want that lens ASAP... wonder if it will be available separately, or only in a kit as other DA L lenses are.
01-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
one more photo
Thank you for the picture. The whole report written by Mike Tomkins for Imaging Resource is worth reading as well:

Pentax shows connected APS-C DSLR, possible full-frame lenses at Consumer Electronics Show!
01-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Shoe laces that are dayglow with school uniforms are one of the ways children at my daughters school still wear neon despite the uniform rules.

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Thank you for the picture. The whole report written by Mike Tomkins for Imaging Resource is worth reading as well:

Pentax shows connected APS-C DSLR, possible full-frame lenses at Consumer Electronics Show!
Good read, thanks for the link.
01-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #221

USB tethering would be a big selling point for me with this body. Since Ricoh supports USB tethering on the 645Z I would hope this feature finds its way into the new body. No way of telling from just the body however.
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Yeah, I've noticed some neon, but it doesn't seem to be at the levels that were around in the 80's. It could be just my memory. Or my frame of reference, since back then, I was, uh, part of the target demographic. Now I just wear a lot of brown, grey, and khaki. Even my shoes. But my underwear is white, mostly. I haven't tried it, but I believe that should glow in a blacklight, so maybe that counts as neon.
01-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #223

Photos: Albums
Could someone explain to me why there needs to be a dedicated WiFi button?

I love my K-3, but one thing that bothers me every time I pick it up is the darn stills/movie switch taking up prime real estate on the back. I see that Ricoh/Pentax have abandoned that idea on both this body and the KS-1. Imagine if that switch's position had been dedicated to something a bit more useful, like an 8-way stick to move the autofocus points around, leaving the current 4 button pad for changing modes, white balance, etc. Then we wouldn't have to fiddle around with the other annoyance of the small "AF point toggle button" which is the main drawback to how I use the K-3.

I can only imagine purchasing this camera and wondering why the heck they put a big WiFi button right where my index finger would naturally move to toggle a top panel button that is directly related to shooting, like ISO.

Anyone with experience using WiFi enabled cameras care to chime in as to whether or not this will actually be useful?
01-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #224
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Imagine if that switch's position had been dedicated to something a bit more useful, like an 8-way stick to move the autofocus points around
I totally agree with you on this. I think the wifi option should be controlled within a menu, but I am also the same person that thinks that all the functions of the mode dial should also be accessed within a menu since my camera is always set to User 1 anyways. Buttons and dials should be set aside for the settings that are changed the most imo, but at least Pentax does offer some liberty with customizable buttons.
01-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Could someone explain to me why there needs to be a dedicated WiFi button?

I can only imagine purchasing this camera and wondering why the heck they put a big WiFi button right where my index finger would naturally move to toggle a top panel button that is directly related to shooting, like ISO.

Anyone with experience using WiFi enabled cameras care to chime in as to whether or not this will actually be useful?
I don't recall any official statement about this button being a wifi toggle. While one can deduce this because of its location, the wifi indication might relate to the luminous ring around it. The button itself might be a customizable function button, for all I know. Purely speculating though, just as you all.